Thyroid Disorders Community
Adding Iodine/Iodide
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Adding Iodine/Iodide

Has anyone tried taking iodine/Iodide along with their thyroid medication? I read it suppose to help the thyroid function better and help with tiredness, insomnia, etc.
Tags: iodine, iodide
Related Discussions
15 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
734073_tn?1278899925
Talk to Stella5439. She takes iodine.
Blank
Thanks
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
Yes I do take potassium iodide. I started a little over 6mths ago. I do not have a thyroid - so I utilize the iodine elsewhere. 85% of iodine, when you have one- gets utilized there and then through the body.

In my situation, why I started it was I wanted to utilize it at first - to help with hypo weight and metobolism.

I found it did alot more for me thatn that. Actually it ended up not promoting weight loss at all for me, but it gave my my "brains" back. Even though I was alot better getting on desiccated thyroid meds - after iodine, that seemed to be the link I was missing to feel completely well.

I do know of some people who have had issues with iodine due to autoimmune Hashi's. It's a very sensitive mineral to start and I highly suggest making sure your doctor is part of this supplement. Many docs are not in support of iodine treatment though.
Blank
Stella . . .please clarify if you are still taking thyroid meds along with iodine? Thanks for your post.
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
Sure I am . I have no thyroid... I am taking 6 grains of Naturethroid plus I take 25mg iodide.iodine.
Blank
Did you start at a low dose and work your way up to 25 mg?
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
Oh  - I jumped around and - "shame on me" for doing that.

Blank
Where and what form do you get it in Stella?
Blank
How long have u been on the iodide.iodine? Besides getting your "brains back" . . .big plus . . .anything else change?
Blank
1017213_tn?1301774873
I was told by my endo to Not use any supplements that target the thyroid or iodine.  Way back before they started to iodize salt, people had an iodine deficiency so when the doctor prescribed iodine for them, of course it made them feel better because they were lacking.  But nowadays we get iodine in our food and in our salt, so we don't have to take it.  

I'm not sure if it's different if you have no thyroid, but I would check with your doctor before taking any supplements.

Mellowscout...good luck.
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
I am taking potassium iodide/iodine in tablet form. I get it directly from my doctor.

I noticed my swelling of my body deplete to nothing. Sure I swell a bit during my period time, but I do not haver the belly bloat - or moon face I had for so long. It was calming for anxiety too.
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
I don't want to disagree with the endo information totally - but some I have to. Ionised salt is different now. It's a bleach form and that has no benefit to us. People still have iodine deficiency - the ground is depleted more now than ever so our food is not mineral based much anymore.

Goiter belt - in the midwest - has an all time high ratio of thyroid disorders and cancer of the thyroid growing.

Farming land.. not rich with many minerals anylonger.
Blank
What type of doctor are you getting the potassium iodide/iodine from?
Blank
393685_tn?1325870933
an MD
Blank
Hello, I am hypothyroid also. Age 54. I am on meds. and I started takeing iodide yesterday . Lowest dose. I can not believe how much better I feel. Almost right away! more energy. Less hunger. I feel more awake!!! I went to local health food store amd they always have a nutritionist working there. She hooked me up with the iodide.God bless her!!!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...