Thyroid Disorders Community
Adrenal fatigue = hypothyroidism???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Adrenal fatigue = hypothyroidism???

Hoping someone can answer this!!!

Can adrenal fatigue cause hypothyroidism or comtribute to it??

Anyone with this problem???

Cheers
Jen xx
i fell down with adrenal fatigue 2 years ago (getting better now); got diagnosed with thyroid problems 6 months ago. definitely linked...
I asked my doc to check if I had adrenal fatigue and he wouldn't.. thinks Im to young for it... Even though I was under massive stress and emotional pressure etc at the time.. Im struggling with hypothyroidism and anxiety not sure as to why though! ;-(

thanks for your reply...

Could you tell me some of your symptoms if you dont mind!
(does that mean you're being treated for hypothyroidism?...)
my adrenal burnout was preceded by massive stress grief loss and everything bad - !
the adrenal fatigue syndromes:
tired [but not sleepy] - exhausted, could barely move, couldn't type or hold a pen. depression mixed in with it and general despair. poor sleep even though tiiired. had low weight and it took a long time to put that back on. i don't think you can be too young - it's not always age- related. i was doing two full-time jobs, one of them heavy lifting all day [my fault]. went to work on a monday - came home crook and didn't get back to work till the next monday. did that three weeks in a row then finally collapsed - bleah. then got a mild cold and didnt get better for weeks [unusual for me]. i also then developed hypervigilance - thought everyone was out to get me, or disapproved of me - weird stuff like that - again, very unusual for me. prior to the 'collapse' - i was craving chocolate - unusual. also i would sustain minor cuts and scuff marks at my job - which would take a long time to heal - this was a big sign that i didn't notice at the time. my sleep was crummy and i was on edge.
now, about the tiredness: at the time i thought i was 'just tired' and i thought i needed to catch up on sleep; i looked back and can only discern in hindsight: it was a DIFFERENT kind of 'tired' - a really SICK tired; bad energy, no energy, unrefreshing rest. i should've just stopped but didn't recognise it. the trouble w adrenal fatigue is it doesn't really show up on any tests till it's really severe.
i think it's protracted tension and anxiety that leads to the exhaustion. if you can learn relaxation, this will help...
good luck.
i also found yoga helpful. i think RESTING WHEN TIRED is the best thing you can do, as well as get nutrition up to date.
ya Im being treated for hypot (100mcg eltroxin) I went to majority of the symptoms you said and one that stands out was gettinh a flu and having it for like 2 weeks... i never really get sick and if i do its only for a day or 2! the symptoms of hypot are kinda the same as adrenal fatigue so i dont know.

All I know is that I was in a terrible relationship that was soo stressful! Was always upset and worrying about it... it was horrible to say the least!!!
http://drlwilson.com//articles/adrenal_burnout.htm

meant to add this article which i found useful..!
It is a cycle between the two. When hypothyroid is present and your are not adequent with thyroid hormone the adrenals will kick in and work hard to "make up" the lack of the thyroid hormone.

Eventually they need to rest and high cortisol - or inadequent levels stir up as a warning sign something is going wrong.

The symptoms of hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue are similiar and must be examined together. Inducing thyroid hormone (meds) when adrenal fatigue is present , can surge the adrenals and make the symptoms of hypothyroidism even worse - possible pulling more into a false hyperthyroidism symptoms. Many find when the adrenals are lacking and thyroid meds are given they are in worse shape than ever. The adrenals - if weak - should be conditioned and inhealing mode - then the thyroid should be evaluated.

Adrenal burnout is worse than fatigue - its the last hopes of the body telling the person something is failing and needs correction.

The two are very much connected and need to be treated together for you to be stabilized.
Dr Barry Peatfield - author of the only really brilliant book on the thyroid ("Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy") has a great section on adrenals and recommends that you take natural adrenal glandular support, such as the one made by Nutri Ltd. It helped me enormously (as did all his fantastic advice). In fact it turned my life around. There's a pretty neat summary of his advice re adrenals here: http://endocrine-disorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/adrenal_insufficiency
Hey thabnks for the info! Someone suggested I try ashwagandha, anyone ever try this. Its herbal and is good for thyroid, adrenals and anxiety..

Thing is would it be safe to use with thyroid meds?