Thyroid Disorders Community
Adult acne and thyroid disorder relation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am a relatively healthy 25 year old female. I have had acne since I was maybe 12 or 13. Extremely sensitive skin- adverse reactions to salicylic acid and anything higher than a 2% benzoyl peroxide. Have tried differin, retin-a, duac, also natural solutions such as tea tree oil, lemon, honey, coconut, eggs, yogurt, witch hazel. Also have tried systems such as proactiv and muriad to no avail. Have completely overhauled my diet- hardly any sugar, no white/ refined starches, very little dairy, no red meat, lots of veggies, lots of water. No caffine, little to no alcohol. Multi vitamin every day and extra Zinc, Calcium, and Magnesium. Plenty of sleep. Cleanse skin at least 2x/day (sometimes I have to do 3 due to my oil production). Exfoliate regularly, but not too harshly. Change my pillow case every other night (flipping sides in between), and never use the same towel on my face without washing it. I do not touch my skin except for when my hands are clean and I am in front of a mirror, and I use no hair products, and keep it off of my face. I am an esthetician, so I know how to take care of the skin and I know about underlying causes of ance, but I am STILL CONSTANTLY breaking out. I will be sure to have my face clear of whiteheads before bed and EVERY morning, I wake up with at least 2 or 3 new ones. When I leave my house for work during the day, no whiteheads, but by the time I get home another 2 or 3 on my face. I do not use heavy makeups, and all of my products are oil-free and non comedogenic.(Not trying to be long-winded, just trying to make it clear that I have tried to eliminate every possibility of what the cause could be) I was recently talking to one of my co-workers while she was giving me a facial and she mentioned that it may be a thyroid disorder. I was thinking that or possibly something hormonal- but I have no insurance (independent contractor) and was wondering if there is cause to go see an endocrinologist at out-of-pocket expense. I have been in and out of the dermatologist office and truly feel like nothing they do helps. I really don't want to go on Accutane due to the horrendus side effects. Any ideas on what's going on with my skin? Please help!
I haven't specifically heard of acne being a thyroid symptom, however, everyone is different and nothing should be ruled out until adequate testing has been done.

Since you have no insurance and endos tend to be pretty pricey, I  might suggest that you get the thyroid tests done on your own, and when you get the results, you can decide if you need treatment.  

To determine if you have a thyroid condition, you need a basic thyroid panel, consisting of TSH, Free T3 and Free T4.  There are online sites that you can go to, to order these tests, without seeing a doctor.  One site that I'm familiar with and have used, myself is health check usa.  The thyroid panel mentioned above costs about $85.  You order the tests, they e-mail you a lab order and tell you what lab to go to in your area (usually LabCorp, which is a reputable national company); you go get the blood draw and within a couple days healthcheck will e-mail your results, followed up with a mailed hard copy.

There are other online sites from which you can obtain the testing, as well, but I haven't used them, so can't speak for their level of service.

Once you have those results, you will know whether or not, you need to follow up with a doctor (does not have to be an endo).  We can help you evaluate the test results, since not all results that fall in a normal range, are really normal, for the individual.

Do you have any other symptoms of a thyroid condition?  

Here's one site I found that does link thyroid with acne:

http://acne.about.com/b/2011/05/07/study-shows-link-between-thyroid-problems-and-adult-acne.htm

You might want to add the antithyroglobulin antibodies (TGab) to your list of tests and while you're at it, get, also Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab).  These tests will determine if you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease in which the body sees the thyroid as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy it.  The disease is progressive and as the antibodies destroy healthy thyroid tissue, the thyroid will produce less and less hormones, until finally it produces nothing and you're completely dependent on replacement medication. Most people are started on replacement medication, long before the destruction process is complete.  

With Hashimoto's, symptoms often show up long before thyroid labs indicate a problem.

Accutane is nothing more than a synthetic pre-formed replacement for vitamin A.  Vitamin A is essential for proper health of the eyes and the skin.  The conversion of beta carotene into vitamin A is dependent on several factors: protein status, thyroid hormone, zinc and vitamin C.
I know that your question is more related to the thyroid and the possibility of it's effect on acne but I do have a suggestion to the acne treatment.  My son uses Clindamycin Pledgets  twice a day and I will say that they work for him.  He also follows a very healthy diet with plenty of fruits and veggies, avoid junk foods (ie chips, pizza, sweets, etc).  He drinks green tea twice a day but doubles up on the tea bags to get more of the green tea. He squeezes fresh lemon in his water once a day and drinks lots of water the rest of the day to detoxify his system.  He changes his pillow case every 1-2 days.  He keeps his hands away from his face. Shaves with an electric razor and disinfects razor head with alcohol after. He still gets on occasional whitehead but the Clindamycin Pledgets are by far the most successful treatment.  Before the pledgets he had tried many other things like Neutrogena,  Proactive, etc with fair to poor results.   I hope some of theses suggestions help you.  
Thank you for your response, I will look into i :)t
Thank you for taking the time to respond- I will definitely look into at-home testing and I really appreciate the website referral... it can be confusing knowing who to spend money on. I don't know that I have any other thyroid conditions unless depression and anxiety fall into that category.
Thank you for your response, appreciate your opinion.