Thyroid Disorders Community
All Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism, Normal TSH and T4

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hello All,

I'd like some advice and support.  Something's been going wrong with my health for the last several weeks.  It got so bad I went to a clinic.  The doctor took one look at me and diagnosed me with hyperthyroidism.  I didn't know such a thing existed, but it's a textbook case from what I have read.*

The problem is, I got my blood tested and I came out totally normal.  My tsh and free t4 were painfully normal--2.275 and 1.33 respectively.  So the doctor (who initially diagnosed me) dismissed it as being "all in my head".  I can promise you this is not true.

I don't feel well enough to get out of bed or take care of myself (and I live alone).  I've had to miss three days of work this week and I don't have the money to retest.  I am occasionally reduced to tears that they would tell me I'm imagining this.  I've never felt like this in my life, and I don't know what to do.

Why would my levels be normal?  It came on so suddenly that I assumed it was just an infection due to the severe cold I suffered in December...could it be cancer?  Has anyone else experienced hyperthyroidism with normal levels?  Is it dangerous to let this continue?  What steps should I take?  I am incredibly frustrated!

Thank you for letting me vent and giving any advice.
Liz

*(I have symptoms including but not limited to: increased urination, increased motility, shakiness, weakness, muscles burning and seizing up (as it's progressed), aches and pains all over, dry eyes with puffy lids, overheating, nightmares, insomnia, physical (not emotional) anxiety, trembling fingers, low-grade fever esp. in the afternoon, brain fog to the point I cannot function, insane hunger and then an inability to eat, and at times, a racing heart and very real sense that I am about to die.  Pressing on my neck doesn't hurt but creates a dull ache radiating into my throat, neck, and ear tubes.  Left side is slightly swollen.  I've developed anemia within the last several days which sent me into something I thought was a pulmonary crisis when I climbed four flights of stairs.  This began a couple of weeks after I had recovered from a rather nasty cold, which morphed into a bacterial sinus infection.  It's been going on over five weeks, and getting worse.)
You need to have a Free T3 test done; Free T3 is the active thyroid hormone and while TSH and FT4 are normal, you could have high levels of FT3, which could cause symptoms you describe.  You might also want to get checked for diabetes, which could be a cause for the frequent urination, weakness, shakiness, etc.  Low vitamin B12 levels can also cause some of these symptoms.  

I'd have to wonder if you have nodules on your thyroid, which may be producing hormone independently.