Thyroid Disorders Community
Alternative Medicine and "cures"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Alternative Medicine and "cures"

Please, there has been a bit of the "alternative medicine" overtaking this forum lately.  For those who want to discuss "alternative cures and treatments" there is a forum on this site called "Complementary Medicine".  Please, continue those discussions there.  There are many of us here who have cancer, sever thyroid conditions, etc and we are trying to discuss the *medical* treatments for these conditions.

If we want to discuss holistic or alternative cures we can just go right over to the "Complementary Medicine" forum - which is where your discussions should be.

Honestly, if I wanted to talk about sub-lingual drops, Bach's flowers, herbal remedies, ice-water enemas, magnets, or hydrogen peroxide treatments I'd hang out with my mother and listen to her rant on about her holistic cures while I watch her huge, cancerous thyroid continue to grow!!

**Please** take it to the Complementary Medicine forum and clear up some room here for those who need to discuss their conditions.

Utah
papillary carcinoma '03  (and no amount of comfrey tea would cure it)
But why not, Utah?  You don't think these teas and such will cure not having a thyroid and that big beautiful scar so many sport?!  Dang, thought maybe they were going to tell us how to grow the sucker back, but this time it would be healthy!  LOL  Not really.  Not that funny.
I'm not so sure that I want the dang thing back.  Hey, here's a thought.  Let's bottle all of our diseased ones and sell 'em!  Hey, that will help offset the cost of our "imaginary" treatments and meds!  

Ya know, I'm about to sell photos of my "imaginary" scar on e-bay.

You crack me up DLA - thanks!
Quite welcome, Utah.

I don't know about you, but some of these things they are suggesting sound scarier than all the things I have wrong with me.  And that's considerable!
Who are you to say others should only have the advice you think is right. "alternative medicine" has saved life's . I have had medical Dr's my whole life. And Have alot of med's and operations . But never have they tried to figure out why I was ill. Now I am seeing an ND. aND IT MAY VERY WELL SAVE MY LIFE. ... They found my  thyroid conditions as well as my heart condition. I have been on vitamin therapy injections. And have feft better then I have in years. I can get out of bed and do things. And I has hope. So to you. Do whats best for you . But don't close the doors of options for others.
Not closing any doors - just asking people to post where most appropriate.  To have someone hijack every post with their "wonder cure" is inappropriate.  The appropriate place for those posts is under Complimentary Medicine.

I am glad that alternative medicine has saved lives - personally I'm watching it take my mother's!

I don't begrudge anyone for their personal opinions but when people specifically are asking about *their* treatments, *their* radiation, or *their* surgery they are currently going through it is not the place for someone to jump in and critique medically proven treatments.  

I've personally been through cancer, as has most of my family, and when I needed information on what I was going through I didn't need to hear someones "wonder cure" - I needed the info I was asking for.

All I ask is that some posters here allow those who are scared for their lives to ask *their* questions about *their* procedures.  
We're not telling people not to try alternative meds if that is what works for you and that's what you want.  The thing that is bothering us is the few on here who are pushing it as the cure all end all of thyroid and telling all of us that we are stupid for taking the meds.

This is dangerous territory.  If someone decides to self-medicate and has cancer this will not stop it from spreading.  It will also not do the cancer suppression that the thyca patients need.  

Alternative medicines are great and do have their place, I myself take some, but on here is not the place to push these on people.  There is an alternative site for that.
Apparently Utah and I were posting at the same time as I did not see hers.  It was stated better than mine, so I would have bowed to her eloquence.
Nah, I've just had sleep!   Nah, nah, nah, nah!!!  ;-b
Oh, nice, just rub it in, why don't ya?  After me calling you eloquent!  Never again!   LOL
To all ,
     All I am saying is that people should have and know about all the options . Sometimes the natural may not be the way to go.And sometimes it may be. It is  personal choice.  I have been very ill for years now and just found out about my thyroid problem. I am now seeing an ND. But do not know what road I am going to take. I am new to this site . And if there is a place for alternative medicine that is where one should go. This is a place where we should all be nice to one an other. Life is far to sort. And most of us are not feeling are best. God bless all and the best of luck to all of us looking to a healthier  life.
I have put the prior post out for review at MedHelp .. I did this last night.

I agree that it is ok to bring up alternative treatment on this board but that further discussion and specifics, etc., should be reserved for the Complimentary Medicine Board as this board compliements the Dr/Patient Thryoid board and some "alternative methods" may not compliment the sentiments of this board which is based on traditional treatment protocol.

I await MedHelp's decision on this matter, but personally feel that it is ok to bring it up but extensive elaboration is not proper on this forum.

Cheryl
Ok, just gotta chime in here....

As many of you might know, I'm taking an alternative approach to treating my goiter and possible thyca.  

That being said, its the choice I've made for myself after a great deal of research and soul searching.  While I may mention it to others, there's no way I'm going to push my choices on them.  I wouldn't want someone pushing Synthroid and surgery on me.  Why would I do this to someone else?

Everyone has their own comfort zone and alternative medicine doesn't fit into that zone for a lot of people.  And that's ok.  It works the other way around as well.

I think if people want to find out more about the alternative methods people are using, they should utilize the message option and talk to that person directly.  

I also don't see any harm in people mentioning what alternative methods they're using on this board, as long as they're respectful of the choices others have made and don't turn it into a crusade.

That's my 2 cent's worth.  Spend it however you want.
Just my thoughts...

I can respect alternative medicine but have chosen to take a main stream approach to my own thyroid/parathyroid issues.  The thing I like about this board is that it seems take that same approach a majority of the time.

I suggest that if this board wants to proclaim itself as a main stream approach, perhaps that and a word about the alternative board should be stated in the desciption above.  I realize this might be difficult though because there are many who don't see or consider what they are doing as alternative.

While I'm on the subject of descripton.  Can parathyoid be added?  This board is about the only place I've found talk about that.

Thanks.
I will suggest the parathyroid to MedHelp ... they may have even read this thread by now.

Cheryl
Thank you for considering this!