Thyroid Disorders Community
Am I Hypo Thyroid ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Am I Hypo Thyroid ?

I just got my thyroid results and this is what they have to say.

TSH Free - 2.320

T4 Free - 1.31

Thyroid Anti bodies - 6

On another note I have vitamin D Deficiency - 8.9

Now the doctor i am consulting says that my results are normal and I dont have to worry about anything. But I have read and heard about it in podcasts that some doctors treat it as hypothyorid condition.

Do i need a second opinion ?  Do you think I am hypo thyroid ? I have severe insomnia issues which i am dealing with since the last 7 years and its not getting any better...  I am not sure if my thyroid is the problem or my Vitamin D deficiency is the
problem ..

Desperately seeking for some help.
WK
You are missing the most important thyroid test, which is Free T3.  Free T3 largely regulates metabolism and many other body functions.  Scientific studies have shown that Free T3 correlated best with hypo symptoms, while Free T4 and TSH did not correlate at all.  TSH is a pituitary hormone that is affected by many things, to the point that it is inadequate as the primary diagnostic for thyroid issues.  

So TSH is only an indicator, to be considered along with more important indicators such as symptoms, and also levels of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4.  So far you have only mentioned one symptom, which could also be related to other issues.  Your Free T4 appears adequate, but you do need to always test for both Free T4 and Free T3.  So based on the limited info given, there is no reason to conclude hypothyroidism at this point.

Your Vitamin D, is extremely low.  It needs to be above the midpoint of its range.  I would also suggest that you test for Vitamin B12 and ferritin, to determine if those are adequate as well.
what other symptoms do you have other than insomnia?

Vit D deficiency can cause fatigue.

Vit B-12 also can cause fatigue.  

Many people need to have test results towards the upper ends of these reference ranges in order to feel well.

I recently (yesterday) posted a vit D article that was pretty interesting saying how the recommended ranges and daily allowances are WAY, too low and the health benefits of having sufficient Vit D.  You may want to have a read of it.
Both response are on the money, They now are advising a minimum of 1,000mg per day for Vitamin D and 2,000mg per day over 60yrs of age, Viyamin B12 deficiency can be very serious and even cause nerve damage,
it removes or damages the nerve coatings and causes the nerves to become inflamed, resulting in severe pain. It is also advised to take at least 400mg of Magnesium Glycinate with the Vitamin D, as it enhances the D and also has many health properties. When I was first diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I had severe muscle pain, I was advised by members here to take Vitamin D and Magnesium, I followed the advice and succeded in getting rid of my pain. You also may have an issue where your digestive system does not absorb nutrition from your diet, in that case your MD would give injections of both B12 and D.  Good Luck FTB4
Thank you "gimel" for the response. I did specifically ask my Doc to test for both
T3 and T4 and that stupid lady seems to have got just one test done for whatever reason.  I will make sure I get the T3's tested as well. I take vitamin B12 supplements everyday but not sure if i am its in the right range.

But what is ferritin testing ?? what does it tell me ?  

Also my major cause for worry is Insomnia, i have been suffering from Insomnia from the past 6-7 years and haven't yet found a cause to it .. would like to get my self tested for all possibilities. Any input from you guys will be most welcome.

I was listening to a pod cast by this doctor names Stephen Langer on Ihealthtube.com and he says that he would treat anyone with a TSH value of above 1 for hypothyrodism .. I will post the link soon about this.

But my question is does it hurt to take thyroid medication for hypo thyrodism ??

Thanks for the reply !!

Follwoing are my symptoms currently..  Mainly its  Insomnia - And if i dont get good sleep I cant concentrate, i lose patience quickly.

I also have lack of libido, low energy.  I think if i can get to sleep well all the other issues might get resolved... woudl be great if you give me your input.

Can you also give me the link to the Vitamin D article you were referring to ?