Thyroid Disorders Community
An update/thank you, rather than a question.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was diagnosed, after many years (aprox 4), of what I can only describe as ‘hell’ as being hypothyroid.  The relief (in a way) was great; I wasn’t going crazy, I was ‘ill’.

After many years of being prescribed the wrong dose and seeing, what I can only describe as incompetent doctors, a surgeon and endocrinologist, I fell upon this site.  This site was the main reason I carried on with my buying and reading books on the condition, as well as help from one or two members from this site.  I also found other problems due to having hypothyroidism.

I can honestly say I felt like as if I was going through hell, BUT, I have got through this.  Yes, it has taken time (aprox 3-4years) but for those of you who despair, DON’T ….buy books, read, use the internet, use this site, try different doctors.  Don’t give up!

I, and with this site, came upon the conclusion I wasn’t converting my T4 meds, and after ME telling a doctor, he agreed!  I do however live in a country that doesn’t prescribe T3 medication so yet again I was on my own.  
To cut this story short, I did manage to get ERFA and have been on them now for nearly a year.  My life has changed.  Yes, I still have the odd memory problems, weight problems and the odd ache and pain (this could also be due to age? Lol)

Most of the other problems that can come with this condition have gone due to the meds, diet and generally knowing ‘what-to-do what not-to-do’ so to speak.  I have also found a great endocrinologist who was amazed with my reading, and actually asked ‘why are you here, what is it I can do that you haven’t done?’

Keep smiling, keep reading, keep venting but don’t give up!

And to those on here who helped (you know who you are) a HUGE thank you.
Thanks very much for the feedback.  Glad to hear that you have managed to overcome all those obstacles and win your battle with hypothyroidism.  It is great for members to get that kind of information.  That way I'm convinced they become more determined to feel normal again, and do whatever it takes to overcome their own obstacles to being correctly diagnosed and treated.
Congratulations........... We often have people who return to the forum, after some time away, but it's usually because their symptoms have returned, their doctor turned out to be crummy, etc...........  

Rarely, do we have anyone come back to tell us how good they're doing and I must say, your post is quite refreshing and I hope will help give others the courage to keep trying.

'Keep smiling, keep reading, keep venting but don’t give up!"

I couldn't agree more........ Thank you.

Yes, thanks and congratulations.  We don't hear enough success stories.  Health and Happiness in 2013!
Reading the above post made me realize I needed to thank the Members that helped me the most. If it was not for you guys back in 2009 I think I would have been in a mental institution, I thought I was loosing my marbles lol, but I had such a wave of relief after talking to each of you, and you gave me hope when I could not get any from MD's. You guys made a huge difference and even though I have thanked you in private, I now Thank You Here. THANK YOU!  FTB4
Great too here you've finally achieved a "quality of life improvement"!

Going through severe hypo symptoms with no help from Drs (until you find one that listens) is not only frustrating but somewhat scary at times.

I remember lethargically starring at the walls while in pain on the couch, with a whole list of active hypo symptoms and Drs saying my TSH is in range, with no other thought to help me.

The internet can be a great help, this site is awesome. Before I found this site in '08, I frequented the health/medicine section quite frequently in a few libraries.

Unfortunately there are still people and many DRs that say one shouldn't believe anything they find on the net. The world will always have some outdated and insecure mindsets.

Good to hear from you,and  don't stop learning!