Thyroid Disorders Community
Anti TPO 50.6 U/mL

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Anti TPO 50.6 U/mL

I am am being diagnosed for urticaria. My TSH levels are 2.88 and my Anti TPO levels are 50.6 U/mL. What does this mean by? Biological reference interval for Anti TPO suggests less than 9.0..

I am very concerned about this. If one of you can understand and demystify it I would shower my thanks.

Rgds,
VJ
The high TPOab suggests that you have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis,which an autoimmune thyroid disease, in which the body sees the thyroid as foreign and produces antibodies to destroy it.  As the destruction process continues, the thyroid produces less and less hormones, causing you to have hypothyroidism; eventually, your thyroid will "die" and you will be totally dependent on thyroid replacement hormones.  

Your TSH is borderline at 2.88, with the new reference range being 0.3-3.0; however, TSH should never be used alone to diagnose or treat a thyroid condition.  You need also to have the actual thyroid hormones tested.  That would be Free T3 and Free T4.  FT4 is the storage form of the hormone, and must be converted by the body into FT3 in order to be used.  

You should also get a thyroid ultrasound to check for nodules and/or inflammation.

Ask your doctor to test both of these hormones, then post the results and corresponding lab ranges.  The reference ranges vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own lab report.  

What, if any, symptoms do you have?

What, if any, symptoms do you have?
Many thanks for an elaborate answer.

I just checked it of and I was offered to go for an ultrasound test. I will post for more of comments