Thyroid Disorders Community
"Antibody tests won't make a difference in how we treat you&q...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

"Antibody tests won't make a difference in how we treat you"

So I asked for a thyroid test and to be treated even if my levels were in-range but low, since my main issue is depression.  I took Lithium for 20 years.  Last year when I attempted to go off Lithium, my thyroid went hyPER.  When I went back on it, it settled down.  Again in March I was taken off the Lithium, and felt hyPER for awhile, but then totally exhausted and severely depressed - asked for the thyroid test, and it looks like the old girl is slowing down and probably the years of Lithium have taken their toll.

TSH 3rd Gen     1.81 Range:  0.34 - 5.60 mIU/mL
T4 Free              0.54 Range:  0.66 - 1.20 ng/dl        (Below range)
T3 Free      2.02 Range:  2.50 - 3.90 pg/mL (Below range)

My question is, however, that even though my Doctor gave me the correct tests (TSH, Free T3, Free T4), he did not include an antibody test.  I asked him about this after the labs came back on the low side (hypo, although actually the TSH itself looks fairly normal) and he said it really didn't make any difference in how my thyroid would be treated.  Is that true?  
Yes, that's true...hypo is treated the same regardless of the cause.  However, I think whether or not we have an autoimmune disease is valuable information, both for ourselves and our relatives.  Once you have one, you are more likely to get a second than the general population is to get their first.  Autoimmune diseases often travel family lines (though often not the same autoimmune disease).

I'd ask him for TPOab and TGab next time around on that basis.

Your FT3 and FT4 are both below range.  You obviously need thyroid meds.  Is he starting you on those?
Until you said "he" I thought we had the same doctor!

I was told the same thing by my doctor....but I still wonder if I should push to get the test done.  As goolarra said, it does seem like valuable information!
My wife got the same line.

It is true as far as treatment is concerned. However how and when you get tested and what to expect is completely different in my opinion on whether or not you have Hashi's.

Since Hashi's is progressive, your thryoid will continue a decline in production of hormone. Therefore that would indicate that you can expect this decline and therefore want to be tested more frequently (every 6 weeks to 2 months or so, and medication adjusted to keep pace with the decline in thyroid gland output.  

On the other hand, it is it not Hash's then you may want or would be able to get along with longer time between tests maybe even once a year unless you get symptomatic would be fine.

And as stated above the understanding of suceptibility to other auto immune diseases and also the genetic issue with passing it down to your children.
Yes, I am on Armour Thyroid.  I'm on 60 mgs or 1 grain.  Do u think that"s enough?
Your Free T's need to come up.

Free T3 high range
Free T4 mid-high range.

I am on 120 mg (2 grains) I am curious what my next blood test will look like.  I actually think I will be going a little higher.
One grain may not be enough, but it's a good start.  It's always better to start out a little on the conservative side, retest in 4-6 weeks, re-evaluate symptoms and adjust from there.  It's better than starting out too high and getting hyper-like symptoms.

Your FT3 and FT4 levels are very low right now, so it's best to start out low and not shock your system with a sudden big increase in hormones.  You have to give your body time to rebalance and get used to having those hormones available again.