Anxiety getting better??? Please advise!
I haven't posted in a while. Mainly because Iv been really busy with my new job and Iv been feeling pretty good lately!!!! I have one question that I hope ye can answer! I suffered really bad from anxiety because of hypothyroidism. It just came on all of a sudden! The past few weeks its eased a lot. I do not have hashimoto's. My only problem is that there are times when I feel on top of the world and then BAM all of a sudden I have the anxiety and thoughts again! Is this normal in the whole getting better thing or should it just go and stay gone!!! I love the fact that I feel normal for a while but when I get the anxiety back it really gets me down! I have never taken anti anxiety meds or anything like that! So is the way Im feeling normal or should the anxiety just go and be gone?????
Cheers, Jen!
Hi Jennifer,

Unfortunately, this is normal and can/will continue until your levels are where they need to be at. I am going through the very same thing.

I had a TT in March and I just got lab results over a month ago that said I was "IN NORMAL RANGE" well I felt like I was because I was doing well for quite awhile.

Well I got sick, pretty sick actually and now i am going somewhat I hypo and period is due. So the anxiety is back with a vengance and It scares the **** out of you especially when you havent had it in so long..

Just because your labs read NORMAL, doesnt mean that normal is YOUR NORMAL! I have learned this and my Endo knows that I feel best at a 1 when it comes to my TSH. So I am above that number and feeling it.

What meds are you on?
Hi Jennifer1987. I was having the same exact problem recently. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in late July and shortly after had the RAI to kill off my thyroid. I turned Hypo pretty quickly after that. I had HORRIBLE anxiety with being hyper, but as soon as I turned Hypo, the anxiety re-appeared. If you check my posts, people have assured me that anxiety with hypothyroidism is completely normal. The question I have for you is have you always suffered from mild anxiety or did the anxiety start once you became diagnosed with hypothyroidism? Because if you've always had an underlying anxiety problem, chances are it can be exacerbated by your thyroid condition but will never fully "disappear" until the underlying issue is confronted and dealt with. Hope this helps and hang in there!
I agree, I have anxiety regardless of all of this. I am on a low dose of xanax, but it may have to be something else soon.If you have anxiey talk to your doctor, we all have it, so don't be afraid to ask for something:)
MKlacza : Im on 50mcg of eltroxin! The last test results shoed my tsh was 2.42. Doc didnt do anything else just another test in April! I feel better but hate this up and down thing!

Dani0526: Iv never had anxiety, Iv been known to be a worrier but I have never had any issues with it! Up until september I was a really happy healthy person! I just getting fed up with it all...when I finally thought I was getting better I got hit with it again! On and off.
I have read these articles about hypothyroidism and anxiety.

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/causesofschizophrenia.htm

http://www.recurrentdepression.com/site/more/anxiety-disorder-due-to-a-general-medical-condition/
Aaaaaw, I'm so sorry Jennifer1987! I COMPLETELY understand what you're going through! Anxiety is the WORST! My doctor recently prescribed Celexa for me, but having as much anxiety as I do, I'm scared to take it. Anxiety is a vicious cycle but is VERY treatable! Don't feel like you're all alone because you're not! We're all here to help in any way we can!
I know but its the fact that my life has changed so much since and I hate it. Jus want to be happy again.. I finnally see an improvement but then I get the anxiety again! Madness. I do not want to live like this for ever!