Thyroid Disorders Community
Any help with my symptoms??? Please!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Any help with my symptoms??? Please!

So...here's the synopsis of what I have been through...I started noticing that the front of my neck started feeling "bigger" around May 2009, shortly after that I started having symptoms of extreme nausea and dizziness, that caused me to go see my family med doctor. His first guess was that I was pregnant....not so much! I somewhat diagnosed myself and got him to order a blood test, which showed that my TSH was 26.1, extremely high indicating hypothyroidism. Next, the doctor ordered a Thyroid iodine scan and an ultrasound. The scan came back without anything but the ultrasound showed multi-nodular goiter and they thought they noticed some sort of swelling so they ordered a CT scan. I just got the results back today and again they saw multi-nodular goiter, he said they saw a little swelling in my lymph node and saw two mini-nodules, but he said that none of it looked like anything to worry about. Anyone have any experience with those symptoms??? I was never referred to a specialist but I made my own appointment for a second opinion.

I'm taking Synthroid now for the hypothyroidism but am still extremely tired but also have insomnia, which is an awful mix. I still have bouts of dizziness and nausea but they are less severe and not as often.

Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated...Thanks so much!
What I could recommend since I had the same problems is to check your antibodies. Hope this helps.
I do not have the swelling in my neck, but otherwise my symptoms were very similar.  My TSH was 13.2, low T4.  I spent almost 4 weeks of no sleep before they put me on Synthroid. Now my symptoms  have started to subside, but I still have to take Inderol for heart palps at night too.   Once in a while I will have a bad night, but this problem just began in late May, so I don't have a lot of experience.  

There are a lot of informative posts that you can read on this website that will increase your knowledge greatly about this.  I wish I had all the answers, but I know you will find them here.  The hard part is getting a good doctor.  
Good luck.
Did you have any Free T4 or Free T3 tests run?  Free T4 and Free T3 are the actual thyroid hormones and without knowing what those levels are, it's next to impossible to treat adequately........TSH is a pituitary hormone and not really indicative of what the thyroid is doing.

I would agree that you need antibody testing to rule out/confirm Hashimoto's and/or Graves Disease.  

I, too, have a "multi nodular goiter", but the nodules are small and don't require any action at this time.  I had my first ultra sound in Nov 2008, along with the antibody testing and those 2 tests confirmed Hashimoto's Thyroiditis........ I will have another ultra sound in Nov to see what's going on.........By the way - my initial TSH was 55.51, with almost no Free T4, but my pcp would not test Free T3...... My ENT referred me to an endo, who DOES do Free T3 and Free T4 with every testing event and we've learned that I have a problem converting Free T4 to Free T3, which is the hormone the body actually uses....

Push for Free T4 and Free T3 tests and if you can, post the results..