Thyroid Disorders Community
Anyone found Armour was reformulated AGAIN in 2011?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My now functional medicine doctor I saw 8/26/11 said that Armour was reformulated again 6 months ago and he has been having great results.  He wants to switch me back from straight T3 and also get my female hormones in balance.  I have not been doing well on T3 (my Reverse T3 is very minimal though now so that is good) and did great on Armour before the 09 reformulation.  I did ok on NatureThroid until it was reformulated too.  I tried ERFA and did ok but still not great.  Old dr. found high RT3 and I went on Cytomel to reduce it but I seem to go hyper very very easily now on it.  So confused!  New Dr. ran all the tests, TSH, FT3, FT4 & RT3 and hormones (19 vials of blood so I am having a ton of other things checked as well obviously!)  I will have the results on 9/2/11.  I'll post then.  Just trying to find out if anyone has had luck with the Armour lately.  I tried my first Armour pill this morning and it was manufactured in Fed. 11 but was chalky and didn't dissolve well at all.
Tags: armour
I finally just called Forest Labs and asked about the possible reformulation.  The cust. service person said "No, it had not been reformulated again.".  I called the dr. and he said go ahead and try it as they are not having any problems with patients getting good results.  Have to swallow and it wait an hr to eat though as it does not dissolve.  I tried Mon. am to do sublingual and it was absolutely nasty!  Now I have to start swallowing and waiting and making sure it doesn't conflict with other stuff.  What a pain!  I may go back to ERFA eventually but I will give the Armour a try.
I went away from Armour when it became unavailable.  Switched to Synthroid and Cytomel .  Never felt real comfortable with the two.  Can't explain why.  Switched back to Armour when it was available again and I'm happy with it.

Did you have problems when it was reformulated?  Today is my third day on it and I can tell I have more energy at the end of the day. Acutally I am having a hard time going to sleep!  I hate having to swallow it though.  I got very used to sublingual with old armour, naturethroud and then ERFA and T3.  It is hard to remember to take it early enough so I can eat.  I just read a study (very small one) that caffeine enterfers with T4. I wonder if it does the same with Armour.
I'm taking the reformulated Armour, with no problems.  I always just swallowed Armour anyway.  

All the instructions about waiting to eat, etc. are basically to assure better and more consistent absorption.  I just go for convenience.  I take my dose and eat when I'm ready.  I figure if I absorb less, then I will just need a slightly higher dose.  The key is consistency in what you do, regardless of your approach.  
I have recently been having problems with Armour. I was on the old Armour before it was reformulated in 09 and did great. I was switched to Synthroid in late 09 up until March of 2011...and put back on Armour...only to find out it had been reformulated, but figured it had to be better than T4 only Synthroid. I did ok up until a couple of months ago...having anxiety issues, fatigue,headaches, dizzy spells? Not feeling well at all in last 8 weeks or so...I think it has been reformulated again...either way, I need to find another option because this is not working for me. Anyone who has any suggestions...I am open to any!
For info, I am taking the new Armour with no problems.  That does not mean you can't have problems with it, but I would be more suspicious of other things.  How about posting your latest thyroid test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, so that members can try to assess your status in that area as a start.
I wonder why you say its nasty? We dont have taste buds under the tongue, just keep it there dont try to move it around, take a sip of  water after  you place it under your tongue, it does not take more than 2-3 min. This way it gets in your blood stream faster than if you swallow it and if you have gut digestion issues you will by pass all that mess.. good luck!
I seem to recall that Armour has too large of a molecule to absorb sublingually so the notion that it bypasses the gut is something that may not be occuring. I'll try to find that info again. I do think that having it completely dissolved before getting into the gut ensures better absorption. I started Armour a few months ago and though it is somewhat nasty it does dissolve quickly when broken up. A sip of water and down the hatch, no big deal.
After being on Armour for several months I began feeling fatigued and generally hypo again. I decided to try Thyroid-S  and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. I didn't change the dose but I think it may have just a little more T4 and T3 in it. I was chewing it up like the Armour...it's very pleasant and sweet. Lately I've been taking it  whole around 5am and a half around 1pm. So far so good. Friday I'll get labs done and see how well it's working but I personally like it better than Armour. I feel great ! BTW I never took the old Armour so I don't know how it was. I have heard that people think Thyroid-S is like the old Armour.