Thyroid Disorders Community
Anyone on Levothyroixe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Anyone on Levothyroixe?

Am 8 weeks pregnant and my TSH level is 3.03. Is this normal or not? Also am scare 2 take it, cos I learnt that once you started taking it.., u have 2 use it throughout lifetime . How true is dis, Any advice???? Thank
You should:

1 - Make sure the reference range used for your TSH test was adjusted for pregnancy.  Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own lab report.  Adult "normal" range is 0.3-3.0, so yours is very slightly elevated, indicating possible hypo.

2 - Have FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested.  Thses are much more important than TSH since they are the actual thyroid hormones.  They will give you a much better idea of your thyroid status.

Many of us have to use levo throughout our lives because our thyroids have stopped functioning for one reason or another.  However, there are "temporary" thyroid problems, and once they resolve, you can stop taking meds.  Pregnancy and chidbirth can cause temporary thyroid imbalances.  
Thanks ..... But a little confused. My TSH level is 3.04 lab range 0.4-4.0 and ave tested be4 taking it but while waiting 4 d result, I ave been taking 75mg 4 3weeks now but ave stop it cos dont wat 2 take doses throughtout my lifetime but i can if its just pregnancy.....Will see my endo on Monday morning. #Confused.
About 10 years ago, AACE recommended TSH range be changed to 0.3-3.0.  Labs have been very slow to make the change.  As I said, there are different ranges during pregnancy, so you should make sure the lab knew you were pregnant and has provided your doctor with the proper range for your stage of pregnancy.  

Your baby needs your thyroid hormones, especially in the early stages of pregnancy before his/her own thyroid has developed.  Have you had FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested?  

As I explained above, taking thyroid meds is not necessarily for life.   If your thyroid is currently not producing enough hormone, it's your baby that's going to suffer.  If you take thyroid hormones now, and your thyroid recovers later or after delivery, you can stop meds then.    
hello my name is leanne im on l thyroxine ive only been on it for 8 monhts i seem to be having reactions from it but all of my tests come out normal i cant figure that out  but yes im taking it
Thanks for you reply.... went for my appointment and after the endo checked the result... she told me to stop taking the med, but i think i will always go 4 a check every 2-3 weeks to moniotr the level.... thanks or wat do u think?
Yes, it's very important to monitor your levels during pregnancy, and as I said, you really should have FREE T3 and FREE T4 tested.  If she hasn't tested those, you should probably have that done sooner than 2-3 weeks since it's in early pregnancy that your baby is most dependent on your hormones.  After testing FT3 and FT4, monitoring every 2-3 weeks would work.