Thyroid Disorders Community
Anyone on cytomel? How to lose weight while on cytomel?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Hi ....Is there anyone on cytomel for hypothyroidism? How long does it take to work? I have put on about 10 pounds slowly even though I have been exercising atleast 3 times a week for 5 out of last 6 months. Then finally about a month ago I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism. At least now I know the reason for weight gain. I just started on 25 mcg of cytomel. I can't wait for it to start working. Just this week I started burning at least 500 calories a day by exercising ....and I am doing this for 4 to 5 days a week. I am seeing no weight loss as yet. I am frustrated. Weight becomes an uphill battle with hypothyroidism. Has anyone lost weight on cytomel? What will it take to lose weight while having hypothyroidism and being on cytomel? I know the side effects of cytomel includes weight loss......but how much time do you have to be on cytomel for to start seeing those side effects?

I can use any help on this. Thanks in advance.
I'm on cytomel and I don't want to disappoint you, but so far I haven't lost any weight. I started on it about the end of Jan.  I'm told that when the thyroid levels have stabilized, I would be able to lose weight AND my doctors still tell me it all comes down to "calories in/calories out" - if you eat more calories than you use, you can't lose.  

When was the last time you had blood tests run?  What are your thyroid levels?  Can you post results, along with lab ranges?  Cytomel is a T3 med - do you take a T4 med along with it?  How do you dose it?  

I'm on 50 mcg levothyroxine/day along with 10 mcg cytomel.  When I first get up in the morning, I take the levothyroxine and 5 mcg cytomel; then at 10:00, I take the other 5 mcg cytomel.  Even though the cytomel is "quick acting", it still might take some time to get everything stabilized.  

I think you'll find that a lot will depend on your hormone levels, but although you mention exercise, you don't say anything about how you eat. Even if you are exercising a lot (how are you calculating your calorie burn?), you won't be able to lose weight if you are still drinking sodas, eating a lot of sugary things, etc.  If you aren't eating right, you could just be putting that 500 calories/day that you are exercising right back into your body.  

Good luck.....  
Barb is right.
I am not on Cytomel...was hyperthyroid, gained 33lbs but have only started to lose the weight in the last 3 months.
I had RAI and TT last June and September and worked out like you did.
Actually went and became a fitness freak and damn near went overboard trying to lose the weight.And no weight came off.

It wasnt until my levels stabalised and stayed that way that I actually lost the weight without even exercising.
I was 55kgs before when diagnosed (5 ft 1 inch) went to 71kgs and now weight just over 62kgs.
Forget the Cytomel for losing weight. The body will drop some weight when its ready too but it is a slow process.
Who says HYPER doesnt gain weight.
I know I did.
I blew up like a balloon.
THEN I started to realise what was more important in my life.
Weight loss or good health.
I chose the latter. I gave up trying to lose weight and 'accepted' me for who I was.
THAT'S when I lost the weight.
Give your body time to adjust and heal but most important...be kind to yourself.
I am hypothyroid and post-menopausal.  I take both Levoxyl (75 mcg) and Cytomel (15 mcg).  The meds alone will not help you lose weight.  They only 'level the playing field,' and allow you to lose weight, but your metabolism is compromised and loss will be slow.

You only mention exercise.  Experts agree that 95% of weight loss is what we put in our mouths.  Without restricting calories, you won't be able to lose.  You write about 'burning' calories with exercise, but how do you know the number?  All those calculators are based on 'average' people.  I happen to have an extremely slow metabolism, so I never count calories burned.  I exercise for general health (and hope I'm moving my metabolism up a little), but I rely on eating less to lose.
Hi there.....I am on 100mcg of synthroid and 10 mcg cytomel.............I cannot seem to lose my thyroid weight and it is always fluctuating. I am still in the active mode of Hashimoto;s though and so I still have to contend with my levels fluctuating all over the place. It takes quite a bit of time AFTER you have been optimal and healed before your body is going to know what to do next.
Highly stress eating the right foods and making sure you consume enough calories each day to boost your metabolism.