Are there any precautions after tking the radioactive iodine pill for my thyroid scan
Sorry to keep on bothering everyone with questions.I am  42 year old female with 2 children-a 15 year old daughter and an 8 year old son.I Home Educate both of them.I also have a 45 year old husband who is depressed over my illness.My question is - what precautions do I have to take around my children,husband and my children's pets [ they have 7 Guinea Pigs;4 Bunnies; 1 cat-that live indoors & 2 dogs that live outdoors] afte 1 take the radioactive pill for my thyroid scan? I have read that for at least 24 hours that some o the radiation will be excreted through my urine and sweat.I do not want to expose my family or the children'd beloved pets to radiation. What can I expect the reaction that I will have to the pill? The Nuclear Medicine Department in the small Hospital that I will be seen is is closed on weekends and I can't call them with questions on the weekend. I am very frightened. My Physician Assisant prescibed some Xanax and it is relaxing me some. I realise that if I do have cancer tat it is easily treated, however, it still frightens me. How have you all dealt with this? HELP!!
Usually the RAI given to scan your thyroid is not an emormous amount of RAdio active iodine.

You should still be cautious after you do it.

Depending on the amount used will be the question on exactly what to do.

I took RAI to kill off the gland for Graves. I was excluded from my family for 3 days and was isolated too. After the period of time went by I washed my bedding twice from top to toe and cleaned the room I was in also.

I threw out all dinner ware I used (paper and plastic) and washed my clothes. I scrubbed the bathroom too.

I think in your case to just scan you - you should follow precautions as I did like cleaning your area - do not eat from anyone else's plates or cups keep a distance for a day and definately not handle the animals or children again for a day.

Kinda think of it as a day to yourself and practice that, then after a day - bear down ( if you stay home ) and clean your areas you were in. If you drove around - even clean the car too.

Just extra safety and nothing to fear.
I think it all depends on the dosage given and if it is I123 or I131.  So ask questions on Monday when they open.
I had a scan in October, my first.  The dosage was 25 picocuries of I123.  The tech told me there were NO precautions to take.  This was about the same radiation as an xray.
How will it make you feel?  It is like nothing at all.  Really.  The hard part is laying still for 3 ten minute sessions for the images.  That's not bad either.  I just visualized being in a tanning bed.
Just to be safe, don't snuggle pets or children on your neck.