Thyroid Disorders Community
Armour or ERFA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Armour or ERFA

armour vs ERFA
I was on levothyroxin (levothyroxine) and did not do well. I had read so much about getting on armour thyroid that I was glad when the new doc ordered armour. Now I have been reading about the new formulation and am wondering if I would do better with getting my levels up if I switched to the ERFA? Will my levels ever get where they need to be if I stay on the Armour? there is so much to consider here. It sounds like you can easily have your RX changed to a different pharmacy that would provide the ERFA. Has anyone done this?
I know there have been some concerns expressed about the new Armour; however, my own experience has been good.  I don't think Armour will be a problem as far as getting your levels up to where you need them to relieve symptoms.  If you continue to have symptoms, then you can confirm levels of FT3 and FT4 and request an increase in your dosage.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting FT3 and FT4 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  So, your doctor does need to understand that patients taking thyroid meds frequently have their TSH level suppressed.  That does not mean that you have become hyper, unless you actually have hyper symptoms due to excessive levels of FT3 and FT4.  
You need to confirm that your doctor will treat you clinically as I described above, and not become unnecessarily alarmed if your TSH is suppressed, while you still have hypo symptoms.

My TSH level has been about .05 for well over 25 years, while taking a full daily replacement amount of T4 med,  without ever having hyper symptoms.  In fact I had lingering hypo symptoms.  When I learned about the importance of FT3 and got mine tested, it confirmed that my FT3 was low in the range, due to inadequate conversion of T4 to T3.   My med was changed to Armour, and after some tweaking, I now feel best ever.    
Armour is easier to get - so try this first. Nature Throid is also a US product. Like above, make sure your levels are high enough.

Think of ERFA as your last resort. It is the best for me, but I tried it last. If Armour worked for me, I wouldnt have tried ERFA.
yes still waiting for armour to get into my system. It has been 2 weeks now. I hope to see some improvement in my anxiety soon

Sue
I was put on Erfa six months ago after being on Euthyrox (T4) for 10 years. I was very excited to try Erfa after having read so many positive reports, but so far it's done nothing for me that Euthyrox didn't. I have tried taking it both sublingually and swallowing it but it makes no difference. Lab results on 250 mg showed T4 levels near the top range but T3 levels only slightly above mid-range, so my doctor told me to raise the dose to 285 mg. The TSH was suppressed but my doctor doesn't care about that.

I still have enormous difficulty losing weight, I still need to sleep at least 12 hours every night and I never feel really refreshed when I wake up.

I am also on Medrol for adrenal fatigue, estradiol gel and progesterone. According to lab results those look fine.

If I don't start feeling better on Erfa I might just as well go back to Euthyrox...or should I try Armour instead? Although many complain about the new Armour, some seem to thrive on it.

Anyone here who prefers Armour to Erfa?

Cathy
"Lab results on 250 mg showed T4 levels near the top range but T3 levels only slightly above mid-range"

- That is very unusual lab T levels for any natural thyroid. Sure you didnt get these two reversed?

Natural thyroid (any brand) has more T3 in it than T4 - so usualy lab tests will be the oposite of yours, T3 high, T4 lower in the ranges.
Sorry if I expressed myself unclearly and I realize I also made a huge mistake. The lab results are correct but from the pre-Erfa period; that is, when I was taking 250 MCG of Euthyrox daily! Sorry about that; I tend to forget that you take X mcg of thyroxine but X mg of NTH...!
So what are your thyroid test results after starting on Erfa?  What is your  daily dosage?
if true that your FT4 is top end and FT3 mid range then it would suggest a conversion problem.  I would investigate getting reverse T3 tested (RT3).

You may be a person who needs to supplement with synthetic T3 in addition to your natural dissected thyroid medicine.

Also low iron and low selenium are also inhibitors of or contribute to the creation of RT3.  Stress may be the biggest factor for RT3 over production.

Too high of RT3 duing the conversion means that #1) there is less T3 available since some of the T4 is used to make RT3 instead of FT3 and #2) the RT3 molecule can bind with the cell receptors and thus not have enough receptors for the remaining FT3 to be accepted.  Since RT3 is biologically inactive this means that the cell receptor is filled but it does nothing.  So reducing the RT3 levels to a reasonable level is what is needed.

Since RT3 is ONLY made during the conversion process,  reducing the T4 amount of medicine and increasing the T3 medicine is a potential solution.