Thyroid Disorders Community
Association with Hyperthyroidism and Gallstone problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about 2 years ago.  I had the radioactive iodine treatment and have been doing better.  Since then I have had a gradual onset of gallbladder and intestinal track problems.  Constant pain in my stomach and gallbladder.  I makes sense to me that my hyperthyroidism could cause some digestional problems.  My thyroid is moving too fast, causing overproduction of everything??  Can you please tell me if these two problems are associated with one another.  I go to my endocronologist and he helps me with those problems, and my primary tries to help with the gall bladder, no one seems to have any real answers/ Cause and effect, solutions etc.  

Please help,
very grateful,
I've wondered if there is an connection too, but with glandular problems in general.  I had hyperparathyroidism plus an enlarged thyroid.  I also had developed a benign tumor on the inside wall of my gallbladder.  All were treated separately and surgeries were the solution.  I finally feel a certain pall hanging over me has been lifted.

I've found on the gastrointestinal board people who have both issues.

Hope you get more answers.  Good luck.
It's tough to say ... could the hyper cause more functional problems wtih the gallbladder is a good ? .. functional in that is it not functioning properly?  You could request a test called a HIDA Scan that simulates when you eat and how the GB functions .... are you on meds to make you less "hyper" ?  If not maybe try that and see if the GB improves but may take time.

I have bonifed stones in both GB and kidney stones, too ..... my thyroid is normal .. actually, I'm on Synthroid for cancer supression and also for life bcz 1/2 thryoid out and other half went poof and won't work LOL ... oh well  .....

I've had GB stones before thyroid issues and kidney stones before thyroid issues, too ... they say to keep in mind in my age that GB and kidney stones come with age (40's) ?????

C~
My family has a *huge* problem with both hypothyroidism (mostly Hashi's), thyroid cancer, and gallbladder problems.  We don't get stones, per se, we develop spastic gallbladders, gallbladder "sludge" (lots of small stones), and inflamed gallbladders.   There may be a correlation between thyroid problems in general and gallbladder problems.  Who knows?  Not enough research.  There is a correlation between thyroid problems and Type II diabetes; reflux; and PCOS (together or individually) so I wouldn't be shocked if there is a gallbladder component too.

Planning on having it out?
Yes,

I also lean to believe the digestive tract suffers with thyroid disease. As Utah said - there is really very little evidence - but I am a true believer.
Yes,

Cats get urinary tract stones ... better watch that diet with you new avitar ... hee hee hee

Couldn't resist as we speak about stones ... C~
? for you on the family hx of Gallbladder stuffs ..... is it only the females?  and, at what age did their symptoms begin?

As you probably recall my dd's issues were spasmodic, etc. non-functioning, etc.  and the path report showed chronic choleocystits and GB bile duct tubes were too long and only 2mm vs. 6mm wide!!!!

I ask bcz my daughter's GB that was recently removed they tell me is hereditary and usually starts problems with female teenagers!!!!  Mine started at age 16 .. one day it WILL come out .. they tell me they are certain mine is defective like my daughter's in that they predicted the pathology report before it even was removed (anomolies that weren't seen with tests but based on his experience removing only 24 of these types of GB's in pediatrics .. my dd made #25 LOL .. we did chuckleo on that notch in his belt ...)

C~
Thanks to all and your feedback, I am sure as you all know this thyroid thing is really frustrating and I feel like I can never get any real answers to what is going on with my body. I am definitlely learning more from talking to others who can empathize with my situation that from the endos, we love the doc's, but gosh, more answers please!!

Thanks to all!
Rachel
With all of your different challenges, I love to see you keep your sense of humor!!

Rachel
Well I though id share what ive discovered in terms of a cause, functionally.

of course the thyroid regulates virtually everything, so peeps with hyperT get more stomach acid from meals, more bile is released from increased contractions of the gallbladder. The spincter of oddi is more relaxed with hyperT (Releases the bile at the bottom of the duct).

Also, people with hyperT also excrete magnesium and other minerals faster. magnesium is used to make bile (and also digestive enzymes).

So there is alot that can go wrong with gallbladder and gut in hyperT, from the medical research, although obviously MDs arent as clued up as specialist researchers. Theres a pretty strong association between gallbladder problems, gut problems and hyperT. A quick google will reveal that many people experience both, and lots of people also get digestive issues (burping, pain).

Because of all this, kinda makes sense to deal with the thyroid foremost, if possible.

I also have hyperT. I may or may not have cholysistitis without stones (or a gut problem). They seemed correlated, which is why i went on a pubmed mission to find the connections. There are strong connections, functionally, although it is still not understood why a "hyperkinetic" gallbladder is commonly infected and problematic (mainly cause its less common), thats what you get with hyperT, along with more stomach acid, mineral deficiencies, and a more relaxed sphincter of oddi.

Theres the one case study of a man, who had crippling ulcers that left him bed ridden, pain racked and vomiting for man years, and the ulcer treatments didnt work. He was stuck in bed, vomiting, and emaciated. When they discovered he had hyperT, put him on anti-thyroid drugs, and within one month his pain resolved (due to the thyroid increasing stomach acid, which sort of varies on the person, but is probably quite common).

Lesson learnt from that is, the thyroid effects basically everything. Right down to the cellular body heating mechanisms (which is why we get heat intolerance). If you have hyperT it can probably cause a raft of other illnesses, which silly allopathic doctors will of course treat as seperate things, despite the above research I have mentioned (all of those things have been shown in studies, bile release, mineral deficiencies, sphincter of oddi, stomach acid)

Hope this helps you and anyone else out there. (Still chasing up my solutions. I am on carbimazole. Thyroid hopefully will calm down soon. Still got pain after eating and burping, but no dice on the scans which motivate doctors to come up with real solutions. Wish me luck, and I wish you all luck too!)

Feel free to search the studies yourself guys, if you wish, but I assure you, all this stuff is out there.

Heres just one example:
http://www.wjgnet.com/1007-9327/11/5530.pdf

Web search TAGS (so peeps can find this): Thyroid Gallbladder hyperthyroid hyperthyroidism stomach pain burping digestive issues bile stomach acid ulcers cholecystitis gallstones effect of thyroid on relationship of thyroid with connection between

GOOD LUCK!