Thyroid Disorders Community
Atypical Thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Atypical Thyroid

Last Friday I went to get a FNA and got the results back on Monday. The results diganosis shows Atypical Thyroid leading to papillary carcinoma. My right side shows 16 mm. Went to a general surgeon who specialize in thyroid surgery told me I need surgery. He also told me it was NOT cancer.
Ummm . . . not to argue with a doctor but I can't help myself.  :-)  Two of my sisters had three FNAs between them which were both "normal" - both of their thyroids contained papillary carcinoma which was found in pathology.  The only real way to 100% rule out cancer is to remove the thyroid and have it sent to pathology.

It sounds like surgery may be indicated but you might want to seek a second opinion - perhaps from an endocrinologist.

I hope that it is benign!
I did see a endocrinologist and saw my biopsy result and also said the same thing and send me to a endocrinology surgeon [general surgeon] which specializes in this.
When my doctors told me about my results...they said something similar but explained it to me (and this was the surgeon talking) that my biopsy showed atypical cells that have some of the characteristics of  (papillary)cancer cells (ie: normal thyroid cell are round, cancer cell are oval, nornal cell lay next to each oth, cancer cell lay more in a cluster on top of each other,  etc) However they can not determine 100% that these cells are cancerous based on a these few characteristics.  They told me I had a 30% chance of it being cancer based on my finding....but that they do not call it cancer unless then can determine 100% that it is cancer....Maybe this is what he/she was trying to say...but just didn't go into this detail of a explanation.  
My FNA came back "suspicious" for papillary cancer.  My endo said pathologists don't like to call it cancer unless they're sure it is (CYA situation).  After TT, the path report came back positive in one of the four nodules on my thyroid.  My FNA report also mentioned the nodule had grooves in it, which my endo said was indicative of thyca.  Did some research online which totally backed up what my endo said about the grooves. That was enough for me to opt to get the whole thing out. Stella may have found her groove but when I found mine I had it yanked out!!!!
My nodule was FNA atypical follicular cells and upon final biopsy were benign.  However, they found 2 smaller areas of papillary carcinoma in the gland in another spot so now I'm being watched very carefully and on meds to supress the other side.

I would have it out if the words atypical show up on an FNA.  It is like a mole on your skin .. I have them excised and sometimes re-excised to the margin until they get clean cells .. I get pre-melanoma moles very often.  My pathologist told me I had a 16% or 26% (cannot recall, isn't that awful) chance of any atypical nodule in the thyroid turning into cancer .. that was enough to convince me that out it came.

C~
A turkish actor died from thyroid goiter because she was diagnosed wrong they said it was cancer and turned out not. After they tooked there thyroid she had no problems, but later she was having a fever and breathing problems and they also messed up her cartilage. My surgery is Monday and this is what is scaring me although I talked the surgeon's secretary and she has that she has been with the doctor for 18 years and nothing bad happens yet. I can sleep at night but when its morning there goes my sleeping habits.
Can someone tell me what is excatly Atypcal thyroid is the definition that is? Because the FNA results is diagnosed with Atypical thyroid.