Thyroid Disorders Community
"BYE BYE ARMOUR" your new formula is JUNK!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

4485231?1242901388
This new formula has been absolutely horrible for me my friends.:(  

I had the last script of the original Armour last week end. I picked up a new script on Monday. Within two days, over 60% of my hypo symptoms returned like a tornado blowing in.

I forgot the brain fog feeling....................

..... oh, I didn't miss that at all!

and the aches of hypothyroid is back with my head feeling like it ways 300 pounds!!!!

It's awful to try and take it sublingually. It sat in my mouth for about 4 hrs after my last 11:30 dose. Like I was trying to dissolve a piece of chewing gum! -- YUCK.

I called Forest Pharmacuticals regarding the problems and "they" didn't seem (to me) they are willing to do anything for a patients questions on the new formula, ............especially............ if you are a Co Leader of a thyroid forum asking the questions.

I think they cringe when they hear my name- since the February shortage of Armour started surfacing.

"Que sara sara"...................

So - if you are on the brand name desiccated Armour and are having trouble recently. Look into the new ways they are processing the medication. As far as I am concerned, I BOOTED Armour and RAN to my doctor's office yesterday to switch to Naturethroid.

I am disgusted with the pharm's way of conducting my phone call too.

If you are not sure if you are on the NEW Armour yet - look at the pill- the embedded "A" is different.

I'd like to take a POLL on the Armour thyroid patients here at Med Help to see if others are having trouble too.

57%
 (4) 
Yes - The new Armour is not working for me
42%
 (3) 
No - I don't notice any difference.
7 Members voted
I am so sorry this is happening Stella .. it just isn't fair at all after all you and others have been through!!!!!     Is this the byproduct they came out with after the shortage awhile back?  A new formulation?  What did they change ...  ?

Geez, that is awful.

Let us know how you do on the new med.

How does the "N" one differ from Armour?

C~
The "N" one C,  - IS approved by the FDA.

Naturethroid is a brand name for the drug thyroid. This medicine is also used to help decrease the size of enlarged thyroid glands and to treat thyroid cancer. It is used to control hypothyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce enough thyroid hormone.

It is made as a "more pure" product from desiccated pig thyroid with LESS fillers.

I will be working on more information on this CC9 this weekend.

Right now.. I have to "struggle " to get ready for a full day of work

URGH!!!!!!!

Naturethroid®
Stop the Thyroid Madness founder has a huge issue with this problem! She has not been able to get the pharmaceutical company to return her calls..yet again, they know the truth and won't admit it to a public forum.
  I was thinking of getting some Armour for my problems...hard enough to get it here in Australia but seems I may not want it now after all the carry on since they changed it.
Good luck guys!
Hi.. When you say look at the new pill and the "A".. What does it look like that makes it look different?
I posted a pic of the new Armour on my photos.
You will also notice a gross feeling if you do it sublingually.

It won't dissolve and when I swollowed the med

1- it burned my gut all day yesterday - AND - it felt like I never took it !!
I compared your picture of the new armour to mine and that is what I am taking. The only difference was the letters mine was TD instead of TJ like yours. I feel pretty much like I did on the other Armour but I don't take mine sublingually. I did notice when I went to have mine filled yesterday they said they don't have any 60mg that they have been trying to get them for a couple months and can't get them so I have to take two 30mg twice a day instead of the one 60 mg. I hope you get straighted out since it is not working great for you.
I  had nasty side effects from the old Armour too....but not as extreme as Stella's.
I'm taking Nature Throi 32.5 mg, and suffers mild side effects only.

Hope you resolve your problems, and try not get to steamed up...negative emotions are bad for us.  wink.

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend.
Hugs,
Kit
Heh Stella.....I am looking forward to a positive result with Naturethroid for you within a couple of days!!  :)
Can anyone save me a lot of looking around by confirming that Naturethroid and Westhroid  have the same ratio of T4 to T3 as Armour, and are otherwise interchangeable.?  Also, what is your opinion about using Thyrolar instead of Armour?  
Naturethroid provides 38mcg Levothyroxine (T4) and 9mcg liothyronine (T3) for each 65mg (1 grain) of the labeled content of thyroid.

I have been told Westroid will be hard to find shortly and RLC labs is commenting to comsumers that are calling to look into Naturethroid as the choice.

I thought about Thyrolar in the beginning, but my doctor wants to use this medication. I am not good with milk and Nature-throid has lactose in it. I am hoping to get a healthpage up this weekend.
Until I get this health page up and going - if you are looking for the Nature-throid information - see this link

http://www.nature-throid.com/default.asp
Just ready your thread and finally understand why I was having a problem taking Armour sublingually.  I started to split the pill and it does dissolve faster that way.  SInce I'm new to Armour can you tell me if it has side effects such as problems with your eyes and chest tightness?  These started once I began Armour so just wondered if they were side effects or just a coincidence.
Armour shouldn't cause those issues with you - but over medication could, especially if you just started it.

You may have to split the dosages smaller and take them more often through the day to stabilize on it.
Stella,

How is it going?  I am hoping you are doing ok on the "N" med ?  Cannot recall the name.

C~
I was looking on the westhroid website and noticed that it said you can't get his in 1/4 grain or 3 grain. I am on 75mg twice a day which is a grain and a quarter twice a day. I guess I would have to split a 1/2 grain in order to get my dosage. I am noticing some of my symptoms coming back also since being on the new armour. I might talk with my doctor and make a switch. Could you let me know how your doing since you swiched and what dose are you one. Thanks
so, thats why my armour has tasted so awful and gritty when i was taking it sublingual--it crumbles when i try to split the pill to divide the dose--i asked the pharmacist, if they had changed the brand on me, as i had only taken it for 1 month and it had not tasted so awful and so gritty and had split in half easily,that first month--he asked me why i thought i needed to take it sublinqually and if i would just swollow it-there wouldn't be a problem..also said i didn't need to split the dose--tried that once,,,and never again,,cause i had such heart palpations for a couple of hours that it wasn't funny...he told me that there was nothing different about the maker of it, but since it was not synthetic, that it is really hard to make it the same everytime.  i guess it goes to show, that you have to learn everything you can about your condition and then pick and chose from that information as to what works for you..
I too take Armour, 1 grain. I have not noticed if it has changed or not, it has TE written on the pills. Unfortunately I can't see your pictures to compare, can't find them on your profile(?).
You were handed a line of bull. I believe not by lying - but ignorance. They may not know the reformulization happened, but I find that hard to believe.

Let's set the record straight once and for all. There is nothing more stable taking synthetic thyroid hormone - vs - natural desiccated thyroid hormone. They are both very stable forms of replacement. It's a choice of meds and what works best for you. The only significate difference is Armour/Naturthroid/Westroid are combo forms of T3/T4 thyroid hormone and Synthroid/Levo are T4 ONLY meds. Many hypothyroid sufferers face a situation that their conversion levels can not subside their symptoms/health with an ONLY T4 med, so they feel better on a T3/T4 combo. There is only one form of T3/T4 combo thyroid med and that is Armour and the other desiccated thyroid hormone medication.

If the makers of Synthroid made a synthetic "combo" of T3/T4 thyroid hormone medication for these particular conversion issues than that med would be just as close as the desiccated ones. There is no "combo" med made in synthetic form. Cytomel can be added to Synthroid to give the same results of desiccated T3/T4 combo meds do together. But it is a two pill formula with synthetics.

That's it.. - it's up to the patient and their symptoms of hypothyroid on what works best for who.

Westroid is being weened out. There production will end sometime in the future very soon. That came directly from the conversation I had with them. Naturethroid will be available instead with Armour.

I feel fine on the new med - but since I take my thyroid med sublingual - ( it bothers my stomach if I swollow it) the heavy grittyness with Naturethroid is not pleasant for me. I am just dealing with that b/c it is the best way for me to take it in. I have moved up to 3.5 grains and should increase to 4 soon. Keep in mind, I do not have a gland due to RAI.

I zapped the pic of the new Armour off my photos. I noticed some conflicting information and I am in the process of reviewing that with Forest Pharm. I can't promise when I will have a new one up - but if you look at your tablet with the "A" on it, a small TM is there too. That is the new formula label. I can't say for sure that is the only "T" conficting with this new formula at this time - that is why I removed the pic.

Try to eliminate splitting the new pills if you stay on Armour. They do not split well and will mess with your ability to get in the proper levels consistantly each day. Armour or T3/T4 should be taken in intervals throughout the day, so a new script may need to be written to give you that ability back with correct dosages to take twice a day. It's more expensive that way for some patients though. I found that out way before the change happened with the med.

Tell the pharmacist that taking in T3 desiccated med works better taking it sublingually. It depletes in the GI track quicker and doesn't release as well. The hormone gets used up in the GI track and doesn't release well to the rest of the system. If he shakes his head, inform him to read up on "natural" hormone replacement therapy in any form. Hormone Creams and taking natural meds sublingually - in any hormone therpy is the mainstay of optimal preformance.

T4 Synthroid is made to use in the GI track to help with conversion into T3 - desiccated doesn't do that as well for some. It's so logically simple to figure out - I can't see how they miss that or act like it's rocket science.

This is where Forest Pharm is making there new formula. "Out of the mouths of Babes"
(when I talked directly to them) they told me "the new formula is being processed with more lactose to adhere better with the GI track." Dumb founded, I said what about the patients doing it sublingual? - They said it was never intended to be taken that way. In our natural bodies our GI is not there to control all of our conversions, neither is the liver. We need the other components as what's in T3/T4 thyroid hormone meds to use it up too.

As I said when I told Forest Phan I was MH Community Leader/Thyroid - I got shunned. Funny...... when you want to inform people of information and are known to be one of those type of individuals the ones creating the havoc, don't want anything to do with you. :{

Natural desiccated thyroid hormone works better without depending SOLEY on the GI track due to the desiccated thryoid hormones T1 - T2 and T3. Maybe this was discovered by accident, but it hits the norm of patients using it for hypothyroidism.  

For the thyroid patients that had great success swollowing the original med, the new formula shouldn't react poorly on them, but for the ones as I - who had a weak GI track and liver abnormalities -  and bad results from swollowing, the new form is terrible for me.

This line I quote above. " but since it was not synthetic, that it is really hard to make it the same everytime." is such bull cr@p, and I am so tired of fighting this ignorance. It's not true... don't let someone tell you it is. There is so much more regarding thyroid hormone medication ( if you want to be anal about it) that these statements are reduculious. I have been digging for solid proof for a year on these type of stuff and there is nothing proven on whether natural is better than synthetic.

It's a choice  - and a blend of well being inside our bodies  - AND if you need T3 to achieve that.

It doesn't matter what form we choose - it's what we need to be well and be able to get it!
How has the Naturethroid been working for you?  Does it dissolve correctly when you take it sublingually.  I'm also thinking of asking my doctor for Naturethroid but wondered if you had any immediate side affects when you switched from Armour.  I think that the T3 is causing my chest tightness but it goes away after the first dose in the morning.  I only take 60mgs a day so I have 30 at 6AM, and then 15 at 1PM and 15 at 4PM.  
It tastes like sawdust and it is not pleasant by no means.

I also find I need more throughout the day. I was on 3 grains Armour and in order to feel "right" with naturethroid I need 4 and 1/2 grains for the day

Truly it is a pain in the @$$ and feels like I am starting over to some degree. I will admit I still have my old bottle of Armour and will sneak one in sometimes. It give me more stability than NT does.

I was hoping it was better than what you say.  I guess I'll stick with Armour and try to find the best way for me to take it so that it lasts.  The problem is I feel fluish most of the time, kind of weak, tired, achy, and definitely out of sorts. I also feel an anxiousness that drives me crazy.  When I had RAI they said that afterwards you just take a pill and your back to normal; that was in March 2008 and I'm still sick.  I guess it's easier for some and worse for others.  Thanks Stella.
Yep - that seems to be the TELL ALL with the RAI treatments..

Unfortunately - for 99.9% of us - that "easy" pill idea is far from true!!
Yep thats definitly the tell all. Finding a doc that does not look at the OLD TSH, I have found very hard to do,
My doctor is a TSH addict. That's all she cares about. I'm "within range" so that works for her, not for me.  I asked her to increase my Armour dose from 45 mgs. to 60 mgs. and she acted like I didn't know what I was doing but said okay.  She said it would probably make my shaking increase because of the T3 but gave it to me anyway.  I think she's hoping I'll feel sick again so that she can get me back on Synthroid or something similar.  I now feel even better with the increased dose.  Maybe I should become an endocrinologist.
Yep that is typical. I believe the TSH is good for the first test, but after taking thyroid replacment. Get real ya know. HA! Did you know the TSH upper limit use to be 10?
My lab's normal range is 0.40-4.70 UIU/ML and my last TSH was 5.3 so she said it was okay.  I don't feel well unless it's down around 1.5 or so.  I tried to explain to her that everyone's "normal" is different but she wouldn't hear it.  Do you just take Armour or anything else with it?
I am supplementing also. It seems that after being thyroidless or in need of meds, learning about what supplements to take is just as improtant as learning about all the correct tests.

I also made the decision to start iodine treatment for myself. This is a science all it's own too.

Saw on the Stop the Thyroid Madness website that if you take Armour sublingually with sugar from a Pixie Stick that it will absorb better.  Didn't have a Pixie Stick but used table sugar and it worked great.  I also have raw sugar and will try it with that as well.
I recently switched from Armour to Naturethroid. I had no problems dissolving the Armour between my lower lip and teeth. The 16.25 gm Naturethroid will not dissolve for me, even after a couple hours it's still there, chalky, gritty. I have to pull it up and on top of my tongue and grind it down to smitherines to get it to dissolve. I understand others who are taking larger sized pills report Naturethroid dissolves within a few minutes for them. What gives?

Saundrella
i take eutroxsig thyroxine sodium tablets 200ug,i didn't know there was different meds you could take, i was put on thyroxine after having all my thyroid removed, having cancer in September 07, but i still have the symptoms hair loss, constipation, weight gain, fatigue etc, would like to know more about different meds.
The best way for it to dissolve is under the tongue. I was unsuccessful with the cheek and gum also.

reen, get your free levels checked.

I am doing very well now on soley taking Naturethroid. I am still at 4 grains - but I am moving up again soon.

I want to correct one line above that I wrote. I see I wrote there were no forms of synthetic T4 T3 combo meds.

There is : Thyrolar is synthetic and is a combo.  I knew that!! - Sorry guys :(

I didn't want anyone walking away thinking there were no synthetic combo choices.
Stella, what made you switch to Naturethroid; was it just because of the changes in Armour this last few months?  I found that I can't take the synthetics as they have negative side effects and now Armour is causing me problems.  Just wondered what differences you noticed in Naturethroid over Armour.
I did extremely well on the old formula of Armour. When they changed the fillers and adding more lactose for GI absorption. I noticed my symptoms of hypothyroid were coming back in a rage.

I suffered body aches horrible before getting optimal. We'll that, and the cloudy thinking were coming back when I tried the new formula. I just was so sore again and I felt just BLAH!

It took about 2 weeks taking NT to see improvements again, and actually now that I am 100% on it. I actually feel before than I did before too.

What I have been told by my doctor, is that NT is a purer form of desiccated thyroid. I am lead to believe from her that these pigs are raised strickly grain fed and a superior quality over Armour.

I sway on if this is truth - but now on it for 2 mths - I do feel great.

i've had my levels checked about 3 weeks ago TSH <0.03 range (0.40 - 4.00),  FT3 4.2,  range (3.5 - 6.5)  FT4 17 range(10 - 20)
Can anyone look at my TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 charts below and tell me if they look okay?  I'm lost on the Free T3/T4 thing.

Name FREE T3 (PG/ML)
Standard Range 2.8-5.3 PG/ML
12/8/08 3.1
1/29/09 2.9
3/12/09 3.4
4/30/09 4.4

Name T4 THYROXINE, FREE (NG/DL)
Standard Range 0.7-1.9 NG/DL
9/23/08 1.6
12/8/08 1.0
1/29/09 1.0
3/12/09 1.5
4/30/09 0.8

Name TSH (UIU/ML)
Standard Range 0.40-4.70 UIU/ML
9/23/08 0.37
10/31/08 13.00
11/10/08 16.00
12/8/08 4.70
12/16/08 3.21
1/29/09 4.47
3/12/09 0.96
4/30/09 3.90
6/29/09 3.13
reen, it looks like a conversion issue is going on. Have you been tested for a RT3?

applsan, If you look at your FT3 and FT4 tests they look like they are falling into place as the months went on. Taking the 4/30 labs - they look much better- actually pretty good - at least comparing them to my labs. You have some room on the FT3 department -

This is where the door can open when two of them are looking at you. It's really up to you and the doctor and looking at symptoms on how you want to proceed with therapy.

If you want to suggest, you can ask to have the pitutiary tested to make sure there is no issues that keep your TSH swinging up and down like it is - but I doubt they will do it and in my opinion it may not be needed. Could look at it as "better safe then sorry" if you want through.

It still looks like conversion issues all through the tests for both of you. You can discuss selenium supplements with your doctor about attempting to get the conversion issues evened out without increasing your meds? See if that helps.

The TSH tests in Oct - Nov - 12-16 are pretty much useless. You have nothing to compare it to with frees. But 2 of the tests are fairly high. Was this your low point - feeling very ill?

Personally for me, I would be uncomfortable still at that free T3 level in your recent tests. I am good when my free T3 is over the reference range.

My endocrinologist no longer wants to see me and told me to go to my regular doctor. She said the TSH is fine and that's that. She aslo refused to give me Naturethroid. Around 4/30 I felt pretty good, but this last few weeks I'm getting sick again and I think it's possibly a T3 issue from the Armour. I feel constantly nervous, have problems with my eyes, out of breath, pressure in my chest, etc. I had the same issues with increased Levoxyl in March of this year and finally went off of it and switched to Armour. A possible underlying issue could be my parathyoid which I understand can sometimes be affected by RAI therapy which I had in March 2008.
Stella: is the new formula tablets that crush very easily?? I used to cut my 60mg pills in 2 to make my 1.5 grain. Yesterday I opened a new bottle or Armour. Well I can't cut the new pills, they immediately fall apart in small pieces/powder!! Out of 6 pills I was only able to cut 1, I took 1.5 grain of these new pills and I am very jittery and dizzy this morning: something is definitively not right with these new pills! I am going to see my pharmacist to discuss that with him, but is that the new formula??
Yes, that is the new formula.  They almost shatter when you try to split them.  I started getting 30mg pills and take two a day. I am also very jittery so that could also be the new formula.
Since I was doing worse on the new formula of Armour ,my doctor prescribed me the  Nature-Throid.
I live in Rockville,MD and I have called the Walmart and CVS pharmacies they said they don't carry the medication. Could you let me know how did you fill your prescription for Nature-Throid.

Thank you
I get mine directly from the doctors office. You can go to RLC labs or call them. They can offer you information on how to get the script filled.

I think they can do it mail order too ( script needed)

See their website.
Thank you Stella
I'm switching to Westhroid to avoid the possibility of even risking a bad reaction to the new Armour formulation (I run out of my supply of the older formulation next week)
Check out Westhroid. I did talk to RLC - who makes that with Naturethroid and they are weening Westhroid out.

I have switched to Nturethroid since last tues july 21st, glad to see you are feeling great after a couple months.

I have same and new hypo symptoms and am curious what the heck is the eye gunk? kind of itchy, is that a hypo symptom? Also Ive been losing hair since I started new Armour in April and have scalp psoraisis (psoriasis), when can i expect to see these conditons improve?

Love the Poll idea, I would love to get a percentage of patients having problems with new Armour. However I am meeting with a research doctor at Emory U next week who is familiar with these problems.

thanks for input
Kendra
kendra - .... hmmmmmm.. eye gunk?? Not a symptom - persay

BUT - ( I love the buts - LOL) Here's what could be thought of:

If you are hypo and not on enough meds to stabilize the thyroid to optimal levels, - fact. - your are suppressed with your immune system and you may have some infectious illness that just won't manafest enough to be seen.

Try to build up your immune system a bit  this the traditional Vit C and Zinc and see if that rids this odd situation.

As for the hair loss, this is a quander for many. I don't read alot about hair loss much since I have a pretty full head of hair myself.

Alot of people I speak with are experiencing they need to tweek up the Naturethroid after switching from the Armour. Maybe this is your case too.
I should update on my personal levels of meds now:

I was on a 3.0 grain of Armour before the switch. I know am taking 5 grains of Naturethroid.

Please see my journal though - I have NO thyroid left due to ablation in 2004 and I seriously ahve no fuctioning tissue left - PROVEN
im in a hurry and can not elaborate but after I refilled my Armour in JULY i went BOOM-- into hell in july- 4 miserable weeks where I did NOT KNOW it was the new formula and I thought i was literally going to die- cardiac symptoms, muscle spasms and pain, you name it- it was horrid!!!!!!!!!!I thought i would loose my job it was so debilitating. I didnt know it was Armour-- i was fine before the JUly refill!!!!!!!!!!
I even thought i wanted to write a will in case i died because i coulnt figure out what was wrong with me-- That company has lost all my respect. I wonder if a class action lawsuit is in the makes?????????
No there is no suit pending. and I doubt it will happen. You see they are following MORE regulated FDA guidelines by changing the script to this horrid situation. The FDA is backing their decisions.

I guess they finally were strong armed enough by the FDA and now feel they must do as they are told.

Fact of the matter - RLC labs is crammed with new scripts now since Armour bought on  the evilness, and are way overproccesing now more than ever.

In a way - I feel bad for RLC labs - but I know the profit margins will sky rocket for them now that they are the popular desiccated thyroid industry.
hmmmm - I just looked at the date on this original post..... MAY- ......

Now into August for me strickly on NT. I have one word to say.........

F A B U L O U S!!!
Stella, I tried Nature-throid but within two days I was crashing.  Didn't you say that the ratio of Armour to nature-throid was different?  Don't you need higher doseage of Nature-throid to match what you may have been taking for Armour?  I noticed with the increase in Armour to 75mg that my arm muscles are sore as is my back.  I desperately want to stay with Nature-throid.  Thanks for your help.
I started taking Synthroid .1mg in 1983 after doing thyroid destruction with radioactive iodine.  My thyroid had gone wild and was out of control.  The .1mg dose was too high for me and caused burning of the left leg sciatic nerve, swelling at the knees, soreness in the chest, sore spots around the left ribs that were painful to the touch, heart palpitations, constant sinus swelling and finally peyronies disease in which a small knot formed in the penis and caused tissue damage,  I had enough.  I quit taking the synthroid cold turkey until I got a reversal and kept doing a small dose until I got relief.  I tried Levothroid and others and finally settled on taking two to three doses daily of a reduced amount instead of one pill a day.  This method worked the best and kept any of the horrible symptoms from returning.  It seems to me that a single large dose can do more damage than multiple smaller doses.  Brain fog and sudden debilitating tiredness are my present symptoms and have plagued me for years.  The only thing that helps is an immediate nap, even if I am already well rested.  I switched to Armour thyroid with no change.  I have tried higher doses and lower dosed with no change.  I have tried binging on sugar and caffein with no change.  I recently went to the doctor with my complaints and we are going to start trying anti depressants to see if they will work.  I blame it all on the thyroid issue but I have not found a final solution.  Looks like I will live the rest of my life fighting this losing battle.  I am not ready to give up.  Any comments?
Yes

Try Naturethroid and find a doctor that knows about thyroid issues.
Hello , I am new here, I have had thyroid disease since 12 years old. I am now 45. Switched to Armour about three years ago, I could not tolerate synthroid. In march 2009,After a regular morning routine, I noticed my heart beating funny....then boom, boom, boom, boom, goes my heart, I was shaking terribly, thought I was having a heart attack. then my heart just slowed down, It was terrifying!! This has happened a few times since, But I am always jittery, and my heart races, and sometimes at night I feel so anxious, like I am going insane. Could this be the "New Formulation" of Armour or am I going crazy? Anyone else have these anxiety issues? HELP!!
Hello my daughter was born without her thyroid gland. She was also on Synthroid most of her life. Was not converting enough of the t4 to t3 and began having lots of heart palps(pvc's) due to the imbalance in her body. She had lots of other hypo symptoms on Synthroid alone. We decided to give Armour a try and we gradually made the switch 6 months ago,  and she did great! Blood work was perfect for the first time and finally her t3 was good. Most of the HypO symptoms were eliminated. Until our final refill was brought home, (same dose just a new bottle),she began having severe joint aches and blood work had changed for the worse, all in 6weeks time.Figured it must have been the "new formula" that I'd been hearing more and more about, so we changed to Naturethroid. Doing so much better. Labs are in 1 week. She is on 1 grain more of the Naturethroid then the Armour. (Conversion chart seems too modest). Problem is, now it is also hard to find. Armour "stepped in it "with the FDA and production has been halted. Who knows when and if it will be available in the future. Naturethroid and Westroid are both made by the same company and they are under a severe supply and demand crisis.They say they will be sending it to the pharmacies by mid November. Until it is available many people are having it compounded. Anyway, if you are suddenly not feeling well, it is probably the "new Armour" causing it. Talk is, they changed the fillers/binders and now it is not releasing the hormone as well. It has really put us all in such a tuff situation! Good luck and hope you figure out what avenue to take in this situation.
I switched to NT from Armour a little more than a week ago and I'm already getting dry skin and am starting to drag. That being said I have been working out every day so I might have altered my BMI a bit.
You probably will find that the NT is different than the Armour. A bump in meds is what I needed to get back on track after I switched.
I started on Nature-throid (NT) again last week and saw with the conversion that 1 grain (65mgs) of NT is equal to 1 grain (60mgs) of Armour or 100mcg of Levoxyl.  Is this conversion formula accurate based on any users reading this?  
not in my opinion.

I raised almost 2 extra grains on NT then what I was on with the original Armour.
Maybe my doctor was right then as she wanted me to start with 1 1/2 grains of NT, but even on .75 grains I find my internal shaking has increased and I need to compensate by taking Lorazepam to calm my nervous system. I might try increasing the NT to 1 grain just to see how it affects me, but generally I don't feel too well.    
Have been on Naturethroid now for 1month 3weeks, doing much better!
My hair is growing back, still have rash problem. But energy is better by
far!

Also am taking 4 NT compared to the 3 Armour I was on. Am doing 3 NT one day and 4NT the next due to the shortage, I want to make sure Im covered till RLC catches up with demand!
Yep Ken - I see where your thinking is....

That's where most of my time is right now. Working on the info with this situation.
My daughter has no gland is on 1 grain more of the Naturethroid 195mg (3- 65 mg pills per day taken at 4 hour intervals)  then she was on Armour 130mg (2-60 mg pills taken twice per day at 5 hour intervals). It took a little while to feel "right" on the Naturethroid, but I think it is because she began feeling so "wrong" on the Armour all of a sudden. I upped her by 1/2 a grain after 10 days. We did this twice until we began to feel a relief of hypo. symptoms. It's been 7 weeks since the switch and she is doing soooo much better now, but it takes time and was not an easy switch due to the dose (conversion) issue, but definately the right one! I will take her for labs next Monday 9/14 and will have the results the following Monday 9/20. I suspect she may need another bump of 1/2 grain in the morning, but I'm waiting to see labs. The waiting is the hardest thing with thyroid issues! Hang in there and keep working at it!  
Good Day everyone..I would like to switch to the nature throid..however I am being told they are on backorder for 90 days, I don't want to risk taking the armour as I am experiencing a racing heart while on it. Any advice on how to obtain it or any pharmacy that might have it in stock?
What about a compounding pharmacy? Google it and see if one is in your area.

:) T.
I've had a rough road with meds since August 2008.  I was extremely ill on Levothyroxin (levothyroxine), Synthroid and Levoxyl and finally got my doctor to prescribe Armour.  Still not right though so started with Nature-throid just this last few weeks.  I start with 1/2 grain at 6AM and then 1/4 grain at 2PM.  Yesterday I increased the second dose to 1/2 grain so that now I'm taking 1 grain per day.  How do the four hour intervals work?  I think some of my problem is a very low free T3 that will need to be increased with Cytomel.  I find that I have to experiment on my own which my husband said is wrong, but only I know how I feel with this stuff so even the doctor can't keep tabs on it's day to day effect.  
I would say that desicated should have plenty of t3 in it (4times what a human thyroid would supply) I can't recall what the ratio of t3 to t4 is, but it is more than ample in the t3 area. More than likely it is the t4 that is deficient. Especially since you're body was use to higher amounts of t4 on the synthetic meds.I would not add cytomel to the mix!!! That would really complicate things while you are trying to figure out your correct dose on Naturethroid. Instead, I would tweek up slowly and divide between more doses, until you are feeling better. Then wait for blood labs to truly see what is low, the freet4 or the freet3? Yes, the 4 hour intervals are working great here. I'll let you know what our labs say on 9/20. Good Luck and God Bless!
Hello everyone, and thank you TamraW. I am still not able to find any Nature throid, however I contacted a compounding Pharmacy in Missouri called Bellevue Pharmacy, I checked on their license, they have a legit Pharmacy license in the state of missouri. The pharmacist said they could make a compounded porcine thyroid. Has anyone tried this or know anything about this? Thanks for all the helpful information here.
Post a seperate question for this ( start a New thread). Thanks