Thyroid Disorders Community
Bad nails

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Bad nails

I know that I am going to take a mile of cr@p about this but.........I am having a lot of trouble with my finger nails and toe nails spliting and being brittle. Is that a thyroid thing?

Go ahead girls, let me have it.....I'm ready.
Don't tell me what color to paint them and I'm not going to have a pedicure.
Mine are brittle, and they have noticeable lines running vertically, but they haven't been splitting.

I had a really good joke here, but it was tasteless.
But it was a good one!
IM me.....I gotta know.
Avatar n tn
LMAO! Me too! (I have to know, that is)
Seriously - soak them in olive oil - give yourself a foot bath in absen (sp) salts and then the oil.

Jokingly - go to a rizty salon and get a manicure "STEVEN SEGAL"  and paint them really pretty!!
I don't know...but just about every dr (and it felt like there were a lot) who examined me before thyroid/parathyroid surgery looked closely at my nails.
According to the books I have, dry brittle nails are a symptom of thyroid.  So are nails that grow more slowly.  You might want to figure out if that's going on too.

Can I get a copy of that joke too?  Please.
How about if I soak them in motor oil? I have some of that.

If I get some olive oil, do I use virgin or exra virgin? I know that the extra virgin oil is really hard to come by around here. I found some once, but that was a very long time ago. I miss those days.
Tee Hee he..
Avatar n tn
i had weak, peeling, brittle nails for years. i find that when my tsh gets to where i like it (around 1.5 i think), my nails get heaps stronger after a couple weeks.
(i didnt think guys cared about their nails!! i guess thats just what you all let us believe...)
I think it's FABULOUS that you even noticed that your finger/toenails had "issues"...!   My husband wouldn't notice if a ton of bricks fell on his hands or if his toenails got shredded in the disposal..., he'd ask if he could scratch my back! :-O
Okay, I had *lots* of things to say but I don't need to get banned from the only friends I have.  :-)

Yes, thyroid messes with your nails (and that purse doesn't go with your shoes)  I can practically picture you soaking in "virgin" motor oil asking "does this make my butt look big?"    ;->

See, we've turned you into a girl.
Utah, you are too funny, especially this early in the morning!
I try to stay pretty.

Really I didn't notice my nails until they split up the middle, half fell off and they hurt like hell(0). The advantage is that there is never any dirt under them!

Seriously, that's about the only Grave's symptom I have and I just started getting the shakes again. Oh well, remission was fun while it lasted!
You  my friend - Mr CM - will have trouble finding the X-tra Virgin stuff no matter where you shop.  I can't go on with that thought.  :)

But really - the Olive Oil works wonders.