Thyroid Disorders Community
Bananas and Strawberries.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Bananas and Strawberries.

I just read that strawberries and bananas are high in iodine.  My low iodine diet allows all fruits except marcaschio cherries and fruit cocktail if it conains Red #3.  These are my favorite and wonder what you can tell me about this.

Where did you read that strawberries and bananas have high amount of iodine? Bananas are high in potassium.
The red dyes make sense to stay away from....you never know what they use in these dyes! lol
Pat- wow I am doing some reading and didn't realize that they are iodine enriched....strawberries and bananas. I didn't see that they contain high amounts, just that they do contain iodine. Very interesting. :)
What I found
Fruits grown in iodine-rich soils contain iodine, it's presence in fruits depends on the geographical location. However, "with the present widespread soil erosion and since iodine is found in the topsoil, we do not expect significant amounts of iodine in vegetables and fruits".