Thyroid Disorders Community
Benign tumour grown by 5mm in 1year

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Benign tumour grown by 5mm in 1year

I had a follow up ultrasound in July that showed my solid nodule that was 18mm by 14mm is now 21mm by 20mm and that I have 2 new 4 and 6mm solid masses. They are planning to repeat biopsy the large nodule next monday. Last May the FNA showed it was a benign adenoma.
My question is that everything I read said thyroid masses are slow growing however this seems quick to me. Does anyone know what 'slow growing' means? Is growing over 5mm slow?
It is on my isthmus so I can feel it really easily and the idea that it is growing in such a sensitive area freaks me out but surgery seems a bit extreme so I really don't know what to do if it is benign as the endo said if that is the case it my choice. Should I just get it removed? Any advice?
that is a quick increase and you should be speaking to your doctor on a referral to a surgeon to get all your options put on the table.

With solid masses ( not having your full report posted here) can be something you want removed and biopsied in depth to see the cells itself.

An FNA can hit and miss - especially on a hard nodule and can come back negative - when really the cells could show signs of maligancy.  Keep in mind thyroid cancer is rare - but these cells are smaller than a grain of rice and FNA's can definately miss these small areas.

The average growth rate for nodules is 10 to 20 % per year. If nodule has increased blood flow and punctuate calcification on the ultrasound and the biopsy shows sheets or clusters of microfollicular pattern thenodule is consedered neoplastic. The surgical removal is recommended when nodule is growing despite TSH supression, and the person has radiation exposure history as a child
Thanks for your replies. I had my FNA yesterday so I am now waiting.......
The ultrasound report was quite vague - just said solid nodule without any information about blood flow or calcification. Last May's biopsy results said Colloid-rich adenomatous nodule - complex nodule with no malignant cells identified.
It does make me nervous if their is pinpoint malignancy with the FNA missing it. I will let you know what the biopsy results show.
Thanks again for your advice.
Last week I learned that one of my solid nodules on my left lobe went from 5 mm to 1.2 cm in 5 weeks according to the ultrasounds performed. Unfortunately, due to a hemotoma in my neck that developed during my FNA biopsy on my Isthmus nodule in early August (which is really rare), the Endo wasn't able to biopsy anything else. Now, the doctors don't want to touch me (biopsy or surgery) until I've fully healed, which is understandable. I have another ultrasound scheduled at the end of Sept. All of my thyroid blood tests fall within the normal ranges. The original one on my Isthmus was 1.5 cm & also noticable, especially when I swallowed. The ENT & Endo doc said it is possible to move just the cyst/nodule on the Isthmus, if that's the only trouble spot. But in our case, I don't think that's no longer an option. Best of luck on your results! :)