Thyroid Disorders Community
Best Multivitamin for Hypo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Best Multivitamin for Hypo?

Does anyone know a good multivitamin for someone that is borderline hypothyroid? And is it a mistake to take a multivitamin that contains some Iodine?

Thanks for your help!
It would be a mistake for anyone that is Hypo to take Iodine, And there are blends of Multi's tha contain ingredients you do not want, Like Soy, It is used by cheap manufacturers as a buffer or in gel/oil types as a source of protein. Soy interferes with the absorption of your medication and also has negative effects on the thyroid. I think you would be at a better advantage shopping for vitamins at a health food store and make sure you read the labels for ingredients, there is also a list of foods that interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone medication, you can Google search for a list, Brocolli, Cauliflower, brussel sprouts, Cabbage, as examples, I do not know if you are on any thyroid meds or not, if not these foods may not be a problem, that would be aquestion for your MD. Good Luck and welcome to the Forum. FTB4
Frank is right.  Some of them have hidden kryponite in them such as kelp as one of the ingredients.  It's probably better to find out what your deficient in and address those issues.  A lot of us take d, iron with c, b complex, b12, probiotics, potassium.  I know some of the ladies take extra iron during their private time as well.  
one more time 3

hello I take vitamin for iron but also I have hypothyroidism Im on synthriod
88mgs and 100 mgs for different days which it is working. vitamins or multlivitamin would hurt you . you can tkae it
Can you post your most recent thyroid levels, along with reference ranges, since these vary from lab to lab, so must come from your own report?  Are you currently on thyroid medication?  If so, which one, at what dosage?  

There are many good mulitivitamins; however, if you are hypo, vitamins, alone, will not help much; you will need thyroid medication.  You do need to be careful of the ingredients in your vitamins.  Some people who are hypo do very well taking iodine; while it doesn't work, or can even be harmful for others.  Iodine should be taken only under supervision of your doctor.

Be cautious of the iron, as well, since too much can be as bad as not enough.
Thanks everyone for responding. You guys are the best! I'm actually borderline hypo because I had a partial thyroidectomy. So, I was put on 25 mcg and since it caused me to have a fast heart rate/palps my doctor took me off. But when I was on it for 3 months my TSH 3rd generation was 2.5 (before being on synthroid, it was 3.4) and T4 free 1.3 (was 1.0 before synthroid). Btw, had my heart checked out, cardio said it was norm.

I'm due for another blood test next week, I'm curious what my readings are now that I've been off synthroid for 2 months. I've been taking 'One-A-Day Vita Craves Plus Immunity Support' and also 5,000 Vit D everyday to other day (my Vit D level was at 52 last time I checked, I want to keep it above 50).

Would love to hear from any of you if you have an advise or comments. Thanks!!