Thyroid Disorders Community
Best thyroidectomy scar treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Best thyroidectomy scar treatment

I am one week post total thyroidectomy and after my scar heals I'm wondering what to use on it to make is *disappear*! Ok, at least fade as much as possible. I've heard a lot of conflicting info so I thought I'd get your opinions.

I'd love to hear what worked for other people.

Thanks,
Sandra
50%
 (1) 
Vitamin E oil
0%
 (0) 
Cocoa butter
50%
 (1) 
Bio-oil
0%
 (0) 
Mederma
2 Members voted

I had my surgery 5 years ago, but after only a month, you couldn't really tell I had a scar. I don't know whether it was the skill of the surgeon or just luck, but I was told
by the surgeon that I didn't need to put anything on it at all. Of course, sunscreen
was a necessity, but nothing to actually help heal or make it disappear.
Good luck, I hope you have the same result!
I used different oils as I had many here to choose from! The more natural the better. Even Rice Bran Oil is absorbed well! I am very fair and you can still see my scar but it is a pale white line. With time I know it will fade into my wrinkles! Hee hee!
Sunscreen for the first year (after healed) is very imp. too!  Or the scar can blemish darker.  I had troubles with the Mederma cream, but my daughter used it for stitches on her face with tremendous success.  It burned my incision dearly.

Vit E and nat'l oils helped people on the community ..You can try to do a community search and see what some older posts say, too.

C~
partial 1/07

I had my surgery in November 2008.  You can hardly see my scar now, in fact if you didnt know I had the surgery you wouldn t notice it.

I used vitamin E oil (I cut capsules and put it on 3 times a day) I also wore sunblock on the scar even on wet days! My family and friends can't believe how good the healing has been.  I also didnt wear a scarf or necklance after the first 2 months as I felt they were rubbing and making the scar more red and prominent.  Most important thing is to keep the sun off it.
Glaxel Base was recommended by my sister in law who was doing oncology nursing at the time. Someone here recommended carrying a tube of lip balm with SPF, it is very handy.
Trish
I'm so gald you asked this question and would like to add to it!  

How soon after can you start applying scar treatment/sunscreen?  My tt was 6 weeks ago, and the dermabond is just about wearing off.  I'd like to know if it's ok to start putting something like bio-oil on it.  

Also, will sunscreen suffice, or should I cover it up with a light scarf when spending time outside in the upcoming summer months?
Thanks everyone for your great tips. My doctor's office told me to use vit E or cocoa butter, the lip balm with spf is a good idea too. Wow, the bio-oil is expensive, I looked at it today at the store. I have not heard great things about Mederma so I'll skip that.

I was told to wait until it was completely healed before I put anyting on it.

My surgeon told me to definitely put high spf sunscreen on it frequently if I am out in the sun. I will probably wear a scarf for a while, just not ready for the stares and looks yet.

Sandra
I had my thyroid removed exactly 1 month ago and HATE the scar. I am using two different scar reducing products but with not much success.

If you're going to write "learn to live with it" - please spare us! WE already heard that and thought that.

I think the lip balm with SPF is an excellent idea. It essentially has the same ingredients. SPF I am told is very important and also vitamin E and both Mederma and my "organic" scar gel uses onion extract for its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties.
My doctor did not recommend silicone patches or anything else.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I dont agree with any of the products...best scar heaking is Natural Aloe Vera Plant.
Beats any creams or lotions and costs you Zero.
It is great for any burn, sunburn, cut, graze, scar etc.
I used vitamin E and Aloe vera ( rotated them) several times a day. My scar is in the crease of my neck and you can not see unless you look very, very, close.
I think its the skill of the surgeon, how well you heal, and family genes.
Give it  some  time, and good luck to you.
My scar is about six inches or so long and lumpy on one end.  I started out using cocoa butter with vitamin E, then Vitamin E oil...this scar is still tight and sore.  I will try the aloe vera gel.  ~10 weeks post op. Thank you for this post.  Feeling kind of alone in this so I was searching for some answers.
Your doctor may let you do gentle massage on the lumpy side.  For me, it was where the stitch bundle resided.  It's been since '07 that I had my surgery.  I had complications with an abscess, etc and it's hardly visible all these years later.

Most thyroid scars fade away completely into the fold of the neck.

C~
I had my thyroid surgery about 20 days ago. I HATE the scar too. I was planing to do a surgery through my armpit (a technique they use in Asia) and they also do it in America now and here in the Netherlands where I come from. But, family and friends told me it was ''too risky'' because of the operation area the robot has to go trough. I regret it so much that I listen to these people because no one seems to understand the hate, horror and low self-esteem I go trough because of this surgery. I used to like to wear low tank-tops and blouses with a beautiful neckline. I'm just 25 years old and now I wear just turtlenecks and scarves. I have to do another surgery after the holidays because I got thyroid cancer (after they checked out my right thyroid and the lump), so the scar is even going to get bigger.