Thyroid Disorders Community
Big Thyroid mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Big Thyroid mass

My wife had a large thyroid mass close to 5CM , doctors say benign ,not bothering her, as far as breathing swallowing, she is 43, the mass is on one side, and within this mass is another solid mass, both were ssaid to be benign, doctor says we should monitor, but wondering with the size, is it better to have taken out now and not have any side effects in thefuture
That is big.  If it is causing her discomfort, I would remove it before it causes problems.  The bigger it gets, the more likely it is to press on the nerve that controls vocal function or impede the esophagus.  It won't get smaller or go away, she will have to have it removed eventually  anyway, why wait?  The surgery is pretty easy (I have had it twice) and the bigger it gets, the harder it may be to remove.
I am 59 woman who had a c.t. done on neck and found I have 2 masses around my thyroid going in for utra sound tomorrow. Dr. said one feels large. I have had trouble swallowing food and swollen glads... Dr.said usually if their benign will not do anything.. But what about my swallowing difficulties I have had 3 years complaining. Now we know why.