Thyroid Disorders Community
Blood Pressure & Weight still high... Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am 30 years old male, 171 cms, 88 kgs. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid and was put on Carbimazole. After 6 months of medications, my current dosage of Carbimazole is 10 mg per day and the recent lab results are as follows:

Total T3: 94.50 (Normal Range: 60 - 181)
Total T4: 9.10 (Normal Range: 4.50 - 12.60)
Total TSH: 0.02 (Normal Range: 0.35 - 5.50)

Complete Blood Count is OK. No cholesterol, triglycerides or sugar problem. Creatinine is normal. Electrolytes is normal.

I visited my endo today and my BP was 160/90. She said it could be high due to "white coat hypertension" or "anxiety". She took readings again and it was 150/90. She asked me to take 0.5 mg Klonopin/Clonazepam to counteract anxiety and then take BP readings daily. If BP is still high, then she will arrange for in-depth investigations to know any other cause.

My weight has increased from 82 kgs in June 2010 to 88 kgs currently. This increase is in spite of I going for daily walks of 45 minutes and diet control.

I am really demotivated by this increased BP and weight. I have done everything to have it controlled, but they have spiralled out of control. Please suggest what I can do to reduce BP & Weight.

PS: I am an anxious person and had suffered several panic attacks too. But I did not suffer any panic attack since last 2 months.

bump
I'm not that familiar with hyper issues; however, I can tell you that Total T3 and Total T4 are considered pretty much obsolete, and of little value.  We'd be able to tell a lot more, if those were FREE T3 and FREE T4, as those are the hormones that are actually available for use, the rest being bound by proteins.  

At any rate, while your T4 is relatively high in the range, your T3 is actually quite low in its range. T4 must be converted to T3 in order to be used by the body; and I know that some people don't convert T4 to T3 properly (I'm one); therefore, I'd have to wonder if that is part of your problem.  

While losing weight would, most likely, bring down your blood pressure, I understand the problem with weight loss and thyroid issues, only they normally apply to those of us who are hypo.  

Please be patient and see if someone who is more familiar with being hyper than I am, might be able to offer more information.  
Have you had any tests done on your pituitary gland?  

What were your labs before you began the Carbimazole?
My thyroid levels six months ago were very high. I have now brought in under control. There's nothing wrong with my pituitary gland. When there's too much thyroid hormones in the body, TSH is not produced.
Yes, I know that TSH is not produced when there is too much thyroid hormones; my point is that right now, you don't have "too much" thyroid hormones, but your TSH is still very low.  

Have you had your pituitary gland tested?
My endo said that it might take a year or two for TSH to come to normal. I had not done any test for the pituitary gland and nor the endo feels it is the right time to do it. But please suggest what is the test for pituitary?
Also, I checked my blood pressure everyday for last 3 days. The average blood pressure is 125/80. So, it was white coat hypertension or my anxiety that took the BP high at the doctor's clinic.
Join the club. I've had white coat for the past 3+ years. My bp is always high, as high as 160/98 sometimes.My pulse gets up there too. It's higher when it's an appointment where I'm getting results. If it's just a routine apt, my readings are usually 130ish/78.
Can you visit the doctor again and ask for proper testing? - You really need the Free T's tested here.
I have brought the levels down thru medications. Now the dosages are reduced and the figures may rise to something normal. I will get the Free T's done as soon as I can.