Thyroid Disorders Community
Blood Work Explanation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Work Explanation

I recently got blood work done. I had been complaining of fatigue, brain fog, and most notably, hair thinning and shedding.

Free T4: 1.16 (ng/dl)
T 3 Total: 1.25 (ng/dl)
TSH: 4.92(miu/ml)

Free testosterone: 13.5(pg/ml)
Testosterone Total : 283(ng/dl) range (249-836)

My doctor noted mildly elevated levels of TSH and so prescribed synthroid 25mcg daily and to recheck levels in 3 months.

Doing some research on the internet, I discovered many users of synthroid reported massive hair loss, which is exactly the symptom I'm seeking to alleviate. Also, there was no note on my testosterone levels, seeing as how they're in range, but are they really normal? 283 is on the lower end of the spectrum, a spectrum that goes up to 836 and further research by age revealed levels for a 23 year old should be much, much higher?

Any thoughts?
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Also, don't know if it's relevant, but hey why not, I suspect have gynecomastia. My areolas are large and puffy and there seems to be something hard underneath them. Penis size is small, almost 2 inches flaccid  and 4.5 inches erect. Could this be attributed to my low end testosterone levels?
Blank
649848_tn?1357751184
What are the reference ranges for the Free T4 and Total T3? Ranges vary lab to lab and have to come from your own report.

Hair loss is, typically, a symptom of hypothyroidism and usually goes away once thyroid levels are optimized.  Do you have other symptoms of hypothyroidism?

I'm certainly no expert on the testosterone issue, but your total testosterone does seem quite low.  Have you talked to your doctor about it?  That, possibly, could cause your other symptoms.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...