Blood work for thyroid
I recently had blood work done and the result was 6.0 for my T4 and 8.04 for TSH.  The Dr. wants to put me on a pill for this that I would have to take for the rest of my life...  I am 58 and take no pills as yet and am wondering if these results require pills or if diet and exercise would change the readings?
Whether you needs pills or not is up to doctor and you.

PER:
AACE - American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists  2006 amended guidelines
US Government 2004 Guidelines
UK 2006 Guidelines  
American Thyroid Association
The Endocrine Society -  Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York. September 23, 2004.  

quote - TSH of 4.5 to 10:  No routine levothyroxine treatment for patients with TSH levels between 4.5 and 10 mIU/L, but thyroid function tests should be repeated at 6- to 12-month intervals to monitor for improvement or worsening in TSH level. Early levothyroxine therapy does not alter the natural history of the disease,.........

TSH Higher Than 10 mIU/L Hypothyroidism Levothyroxine therapy is reasonable.

Data do not confirm clear-cut benefits for early therapy....... develop. - unquote

If you are feeling good without symptoms, you might discuss the above with your doctor. Your doctor might have reasons for putting you on meds., perhaps due to health, I mean he knows you better than anyone, your health that is.

Diet or exercise never hurts, but I don't believe its a cure-all.

If you/doctor decide against meds. for now, have thyroid levels checked at least annually for eventually levels might get worse to where you would need meds.

By the way, I was healthy and pill free, even aspirin, most of us were. Nothing wrong taking a tiny pill that replaces  hormone that very part of our body needs.  And thank God that there are pills available.  I don't consider (my) thyroid as being sick or unhealthy for back when they didn't have pills/treatment, that WAS being sick.

Good luck with your choice, I am sure it will be a wise one, and continuous best of health.
Do you have any symptoms? Why did doc check thyroid levels?