Aa
A
A
Close
Blood work for thyroid
I recently had blood work done and the result was 6.0 for my T4 and 8.04 for TSH.  The Dr. wants to put me on a pill for this that I would have to take for the rest of my life...  I am 58 and take no pills as yet and am wondering if these results require pills or if diet and exercise would change the readings?
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Whether you needs pills or not is up to doctor and you.

PER:
AACE - American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists  2006 amended guidelines
US Government 2004 Guidelines
UK 2006 Guidelines  
American Thyroid Association
The Endocrine Society -  Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York. September 23, 2004.  

quote - TSH of 4.5 to 10:  No routine levothyroxine treatment for patients with TSH levels between 4.5 and 10 mIU/L, but thyroid function tests should be repeated at 6- to 12-month intervals to monitor for improvement or worsening in TSH level. Early levothyroxine therapy does not alter the natural history of the disease,.........

TSH Higher Than 10 mIU/L Hypothyroidism Levothyroxine therapy is reasonable.

Data do not confirm clear-cut benefits for early therapy....... develop. - unquote

If you are feeling good without symptoms, you might discuss the above with your doctor. Your doctor might have reasons for putting you on meds., perhaps due to health, I mean he knows you better than anyone, your health that is.

Diet or exercise never hurts, but I don't believe its a cure-all.

If you/doctor decide against meds. for now, have thyroid levels checked at least annually for eventually levels might get worse to where you would need meds.

By the way, I was healthy and pill free, even aspirin, most of us were. Nothing wrong taking a tiny pill that replaces  hormone that very part of our body needs.  And thank God that there are pills available.  I don't consider (my) thyroid as being sick or unhealthy for back when they didn't have pills/treatment, that WAS being sick.

Good luck with your choice, I am sure it will be a wise one, and continuous best of health.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
314892_tn?1264627503
Do you have any symptoms? Why did doc check thyroid levels?
Comment
Cancel
314892_tn?1264627503
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Blood work for thyroid
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Thyroid Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703