Thyroid Disorders Community
Boder line overactive thyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Boder line overactive thyroid

My mom has been suffering form for year from overactive thyroid.  No medications is given because it's borderline.  However she suffers from shakes that cause her to become dizzy for a second she takes a deep breath and it goes away. She feels a sharp pain from the neck down to the heart and thats when the shake the dizzines comes in.  Sometime it can happen a few times a day and sometime nothing at all.  She also suffer from high blood pressure and she takes medication for this. She has stress tests done and ecg and she also worn a heart monitor for 24 hours to monitor her heart beats and of couse when she wore the monitor, she was fine for the full 24 hours.
She has a thyroid tests done every 6 month and all the results come back borderline overactive thyroid with no medication.

How can this be.

You're input would be appreciate.
Do you have the TSH results?  All the symptoms you have described sound exactly like it.  I don't do this borderline cr@p!  Infuriates me to no end any one who stands up for this if there are symptoms.  Borderline what?  Grrrrrrr

She definitely needs meds if it is affecting her heart.  The high bp is probably also a result of it.  Does she have an endo or just a GP?  She needs somebody else who is very experienced with thyroid, not many are.  I would get her some place else and as quickly as I could.  Having any uncontrolled thyroid problem can lead to heart damage.  People just should not mess around with thyroid, it affects everything in your body.

Keep me posted.
Dac
I don't have the results.  I took her to the Cardiology insititue in our city. That's what's fusterating me they gave her ethe exact same sp[eal that the thyroid specialist gave her.  I am going to push this further now. This is ridiculous.    Even if for them it's bordeline.. it's obviously causing her disconfort I can't imagine this is good.
It's not.  Good luck and be ready to fight hard.  That's how most of finally got the help we needed.
Thank you so much I'll keep you posted.  I knew that she had thyroid problem however she pretty much hid them from me until I witenessed an episode on New Years day, that's when I took her to the hospital.  I have a few client's that are doctors so NOW mom is my hands.  By hook or by crook someone will have to treat her!!!

TSH results are 0,21
T4 results are 17,1

What does that mean.

I was borderline with the worst hyperthyroid symtoms (symptoms). When my endo wasn't go to treat me, I had a fit in his office. He decided to treat me with antithyroid med and now I feel almost 100% better. I told doc I don't care if it's borderline because I feel like cr**p and I'm going to die.
Does that mean that those are borderline results.  I'm trying to understand them.. before I go to the Dr with my mom and pull a fit!!!!
No, actually anything below 0.3 is considered hyperthyroidism.  And that is way low for most people.  I would think she would have times of feeling horrible.  If it fluctuates the .75, whoa.  She needs treatment.  That is not borderline that is UNDER the line.  Fight to get her some meds.  You didn't say how old she is, but am guessing not very young since you are the one fighting for her, so I would be scared of the damage it is doing to her heart.

Throw and absolute wall-eyed fit and see if they don't do something to shut you up.  Works quite well, I have found.  I think I said this before, anger goes a heck of a long way when it comes to thyroid.  The problem is that if you're the one with the problem you are too tired and depressed to get angry.  

She is so very lucky to have you for a daughter.
Dac
She's 72.  She has been like this for years and she's being monitored every 6 months.  I'm going to go see another Endo with here.
What is the antithyroid medication you're taking and what dose. If you don't mind telling me