Thyroid Disorders Community
Body Temp and Hypothyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Body Temp and Hypothyroid

Hi there,

Just curious about low body temperature and hypothyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid last week and didn't take my temp really except before my appt. I had the flu so I did, and it was 97.0. It was the same at the doctor's appt. I went to the doctor for the flu and was also diagnosed with hypothyroid. Makes sense - I guess I've had it for a few years.

Since, I've taken my temp a few times and it's been from 95-97.

Does anyone have similar experience? I've read that hypothermia sets in at 95 so it concerns me.

Also, in addition to the hypothyroid symptoms of being extremely fatigued and cold, etc., I have been sweating. I've taken my temp when I'm sweating and it has been as low as 95.

Is sweating and hypothyroid normal? Or maybe I should look more into a pituitary disorder? Maybe it is because of my flu, but I can't remember having a low temp like this before.
There was a Dr Broda Barnes who had the theory that low body temperature was related to diagnosing hypothyroid. Unfortunately he was poo-poohed by mainstream doctors.

I did my own temperature everyday at the same time for many years. it must be done at the same time of the day, as our natural body rhythms rise and fall throughout the day. I found I was always under normal too. In hospital for surgeries (I've had over 16!) they always try to warm me up with nice hot blankets!  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's only 3 years ago and still notice I am under normal temp daily. I still keep a daily chart and use this to see when I am more likely to be about to menstruate also. (Temp will dip sharply prior to start of period)

Just because you have sweating and that is not a usual hypo symptom doesn't mean it isn't part of YOUR hypo-ness.

Having the flu may well have given you an abnormal reading, so it is wise to keep a chart and monitor it over a month or so to 'prove' a point of hypo.

PS Hashi is usually a hypo thing, but does swing hyper and hypo over time.

Thanks, redheadaussie, for the information. This makes sense. I am about to start my period anytime. I don't have Hashimoto's. I was tested for the antibody which was negative. So I guess it is just my thyroid, flu and cycle. My poor body :) I'm sure I would have seen this fluctuation before if I had been checking. I don't want to fall asleep and not wake up due to hypothermia! :)

Thank you again for the information. :)

Is getting cold after eating a symptom of hypothyroid? Just curious.
I get sleepy after eating but can't say I get cold after eating...unless it's ice cream! LOL! I suspect your digestive system is using energy and the body will get chilled when blood is drawn away from the outer body into the inner in aiding digestion. Hypo symptom? Who knows!?