Thyroid Disorders Community
Bone tired... Dr consult tomorrow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Bone tired... Dr consult tomorrow

On the 12 Nov I had a hemithyroidectomy which took out a benign nodule and diagnosed Hashimotos in the thyroid tissue itself.

I was trucking along recovery well feeling better and better with each passing day.

I have substantially reduced my usual 'mad mum run around' to a very 'calm mummy' state. I am often white knuckling it while the family have 'helped'-or sometimes not helped!- do my usual chores. So I have really tried very hard not to overdo it.

I started back at work Monday- Wednesday as Wednesday went on I was more and more fatigued, by 5.00 yesterday (Wed) I was so tired I had no choice but to sleep 1 1/2hrs.  Still had my usual night's sleep last night, then today by lunch time I feel so bone tired that the only thing stopping me crashing for a sleep is the fact that I need to collect my daughter from school in 1 hour.

I have felt tired in the past, but this is a new type of tired- a tired that makes my eyelids constantly heavy and my thinking blurred. I feel like I have had 2hrs sleep- like that feeling of a being a new mum with a very wakeful baby. Almost like jetlag.

Now I am wondering if this tiredness is a post surgery energy flatline from returning to work or if it's a symptom of hypothyroidism... guess I'll find out tomorrow when I go back for bloods review.

My question is:
Last week when I had the bloods taken I didn't feel anywhere near this bone tired- could thyroid function deteriorate that quickly in a week?

Em
Short answer - yes it can.  My TSH went from around 1.2 to around 75 in just a few weeks then took about six weeks to come back down.

After surgery the thyroid often releases a large amount of hormone (why there is sometimes "thyroid storm" after surgery).  When the hormones calm down is when the real levels start to emerge and the "bone tired" sets in.  Talk to your endo and remember you need to allow your body to heal and REST!
How did the appt go?

C~
Hi Em - So sorry you're not feeling well.  My endocrinologist says thyroid levels can fluctuate and change rapidly.  If not, maybe the surgery and general anesthesia is still an issue.  Surgery takes a lot out of us.  Utahmomma had a good explaination.  Please keep us posted.
Well TSh was 1.6- no normal.
Go figure?  Still tired.  Told him that- he says it's from the surgery.  It's going to be hard to measure if it's thyroid or surgery related once I go in for my gallbladder surgery in 8 days.
Anyway the surgeon gave me a pathology report to retest in SIX MONTHS!!!!!  
I am thinking this seems too long away.  So will jump ship from the surgeon and go back to my GP who I trust a whole lot more to keep an eye on me. PLUS (I know, everyone here is going to go crazy when I reveal this...) but my surgeon (while expert in thyroid surgery, is not an endo and I haven't even see an endo EVER!  So I think I will get the GP to refer me to one given the hashi diagnosis.

I must say that I anticipated tests at least monthly for the first 6 months to monitor what is happening more closely.

What do you think? Is 6 months too long? if you agree- how long do you think would be more on track?
Em
sorry
first line was meant to say "SO normal" !
I just went in for my follow up with the Nuclear Med doctor after TT in August and RAI in September.  I'm on Levoxyl 175, and my TSH went from 145 during the RAI to .03 as of last week.  The doc told me that's right around where he wants me to be for cancer suppression.  He wants to see me back in September - 10 months away!  That's when I'll have another WBS, but thank goodness they'll be using Thyrogen shots instead of having to go hypo again.  (whew!)

I had a follow up with my surgeon a few weeks back as well.  He also wants to see me in 6 months (like yours), and will check my blood levels at that time.  That makes it May of next year.  I too was concerned with the time.  But, I decided that if I start to feel "off" between now and then, I can always go to my GP and have my levels checks.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still having problems with feeling tired!  I can't remember exactly when your surgery was, but I know it hasn't been too awful long ago.  It takes it out of you and takes a while to bounce back.  And now you have to face yet another surgery soon, you poor thing!

Take care and keep us posted.

Lori