Thyroid Disorders Community
Borderline Hypothyroidism and Pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Borderline Hypothyroidism and Pregnancy

Help! I have suffered post-natal depression and was on anti-depressants for over a year and just came off them in preparation to become pregnant again (I have a 4yr daughter as well). I discovered a bald patch on my scalp and just discovered after a blood test that I have borderline hypothyroidism. I am not sure if it was which T4 or T3 or in which order, one result is 5 and the other 15.3.  As I have been told to revisit my doctor again in one month's time to do the blood test again, I did not get the chance to discuss the fact that I am hoping to try to conceive in a couple of months time. My mother has Hashimoto's and was diagnosed when she was almost 50 yrs. I am 36 yrs. My question here is: If I were to become pregnant, would I then be definitely hypothyroid for good and have to take thyroxine for life? Or if I were not to get pregnant again, could I try to maintain it and hopefully improve my thyroid function with my diet and exercise and beat this? Or am I doomed already? Is it inevitable that whatever I do I will eventually have hypothyroid and be on treatment for the rest of my life? My other question is...If I do want to get pregnant, should I be taking thyroxine already and how soon after starting thyroxine should I start trying to conceive? I know I should consult my doctor about this, it's just that I can't get an appointment with her for another 4 days and I'm very anxious...can't sleep with worry. Thank you.
Hello

The fact that your mom has Hashimoto's might make you a higher risk for getting it.  If you are borderline hypo have they tested for thyroid antibodies that might suggest that you also have Hashimoto's?  Your post-natal depression could have been related to your thyroid problems that was or has not been properly diagnosed.  I have similar history.

Was diagnosed with Post natal depression after my second child.  But test showed that i had in fact Hashimoto's disease.  Now on pregnancy - i fell pregnant with my 3rd child not planned being my first pregnancy with hashimoto's - i was scared out of my mind and worried about my unborn baby.

Got to see my GP and telephonic help from an endo to get things going.  Your Thyroid levels during pregnancy has to be regulated and TSH levels should not excede 2.  If your TSH levels are higher and you are hypo during your pregnancy you are at greater risk for miscarriage, brain development problems with the fetus ect.

Your medication will be adjusted and increased as needed during your pregnancy.

My advise would be to first make sure  if you have thyroid antibodies which would suggest that you have Hashimoto's already - you can have the antibodies but your thyroid has not been affected yet that you become hypo - you might be in the beginning stages and now start to be borderline hypo.  If that is the case you will be on meds for life but it's not the end of the world.  Find all this out and if you will be needing meds and then only start to think about your pregnancy.

I struggled for 3 years to fall pregnant with my first child and the Endo thinks it could be related that i had the antibodies present but i was not hypo yet my thyroid still showed normal function then but could have played a role with concieving.

I hope this all helps and that you sleep a bit better tonight all the best

Thanks Zet for your reply,

Just want to know how your pregnancy went in the end and if all is fine with you babies now? Also, how long did it take from when you started on thyroxine to have a normal TSH reading again? I am guessing this is what I would have to wait for before I starting trying to fall pregnant.

I also thought about the post-natal depression and hypo were related I didn't think I would get it so soon. I will see my doctor this week and ask her about the antibodies.

My pregnancy went very well - we only increased my dosage once during the pregnancy and to be honest during my pregnancy was the best i've felt in a long time.  They test it once every trimester during the pregnancy and if there is cause for concern they will test it more often.  Some reading i've done suggest that the pregnancy hormones suppres the autoimmune response or something like that - but it looks like 2-6 months after your pregnancy your symptoms can be alot worse as the thyroid antibodies cause problems again  - which i think is my problem now.

My third child was my only pregnancy with Hashimoto's and on thyroid meds.  As a precausion they tested him at 8 days and 3 weeks for thyroid antibodies - there is a very very small chance with Hashimoto's of that happening and then with your antibodies crossing it can affect your newborns thyroid.  But if you have Graves disease the complecations are alot higher.  

When i first got diagnosed they test your levels every 6 weeks - it takes about 6 weeks to get a accurate reading of the dosage you are one - i would say by the second testing things were well and truley sorted for me.

All the best hope you get all the right answers soon and have a happy healthy pregnancy soon.