Thyroid Disorders Community
Borderline TSH and T4 results...should I push the issue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have recently visited the Dr. to be checked for thyroid issues. My results came back within the 'normal' range, but I am concerned that my thyroid is causing my symptoms.

My TSH was 3.34 and my Free T4 was .7

My dr. sent an email stating that results were "normal" (range .4-4 for TSH and .5-1.6 for free T4)

My concern is that following pregnancy, I was hyper and am now experiencing HYPO symptoms, and since it has recently happened...I a still within the normal ranges. Several years ago, my numbers were 1.8 for TSH and .8 for Free T4.

I am experiencing the following symptoms now:
loss of hair, fatigue, carpal tunnel symptoms, tingling/numbness in feet, irritability, mood swings, puffiness, anxiety, feeling as if I am in a fog, confusion, etc. My grandmothers (from both sides of the family) had hypothyroidism.

Sympoms several months ago: hair loss, weight loss (but was after pregnancy but I am now 20 lbs UNDER my pre preg weight)

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
You should talk to your doctor about your symptoms, and point out that the "new" (10 yrs old) range for TSH is 0.3-3.0, so your lab's is outdated and at 3.34, yours is above that range.  In addition, your FT4 at 0.7 is at the bottom of the range and most of us feel best with it at least mid range.  AND, last, but not least, there is no FT3, which is most important of all, and without adequate amounts of FT3, you won't feel well.  

I don't know how receptive your doctor is to info from the internet, but we can arm you with tons of material, if that will help.  
.7 for FT4 is pretty low. If your doctor thinks that's normal just because you aren't in the top or bottom 2 percentile of the population, it is probably not worth the stress trying to ellicit good treatment from him. He's obviously very out of date on modern thyroid research, so it may make most sense to seek a second opinion from another doctor. It wouldn't be fair to you to not get treatment, or fair to your doctor to when this is clearly outside his scope.
It's not always necessary to write off your doctor immediately, since some are open to suggestions and willing to learn how to better treat their patients.  I agree, however, that if you get immediate cooperation, you should start looking for another doctor.
Thanks for all the support! I really appreciate it. I am SO not the person who typically questions a doctor (I actually changed insurance, and this is a new doc for me), but I really feel like this is what is causing my numerous symptoms.

I plan to meet with my doctor to see if I can be treated despite being within their "normal" range to see if it helps.