Thyroid Disorders Community
Breast Check in Endocrinologist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Breast Check in Endocrinologist?

I went to an endocrinologist, who told me I had an enlarged thyroid (a little bit), and he also checked my breasts, but this was a really old doctor (he's been a professional for years, and also teaches at the university), but for everything I asked he said "I'm the doctor, I know what I'm doing..trust me". So I'm not sure if he really had to examine my breasts. Is that standard? I know it's part of the endocrine system, but you can understand how it would creep me out a bit.
Very good question....I'd like to know also....I saw an Endo....he didn't check mine......but I am not happy with him, and am considering going elsewhere, so it'd be good to know if that is a standard practice.

"selma"
My endo is a very reputable doctor in Texas and he did NOT check my breasts.  Was there a nurse in the room with you?  If not, I don't think I'd be going back.  
I've never had an endo (or a GI, dentist, rheumatologist, etc.) check my breasts.  

Unless I am having a breast exam (with my pap) from either my OB/GYN or internist *with a chaperon in the room* it is never, ever done.  

Not only do you need to never go back to that quack, you need to report him!

I agree...and his response "I'm the doctor..." is ridiculous. Any doctor should be able to explain WHY they are doing something, not pat you on the head, and tell you to just do what he says. At any point someone is making you feel uncomfortable, you have every right to stop them and if you are thinking something is inappropriate...it likely is.

Listen to your warning bells, it is you taking care of yourself.
Thyroid exam or neck inspection [ for other reasons] DOES NOT require the patient to undress.
Something about this would've given me the creep too!

I did have drs who were investigating my parathyroid/thyroid issues seem to want to tie a whole bunch of things together.  But they did so by asking when, say, I last had a mammogram/breast exam/pelvic exam/pap smear.  That way they could obtain reports and review records.

Did the dr ask you any history questions like that?

My mother was going to an internist periodically to have her bp checked when one time he told her he could perform a pap smear, if she needed that.  The dr was about her age.  It was so weird.  And so was the fact that my father was also his patient.  She now has different medical needs and doesn't go to him anymore, thank goodness.

There are many competent drs out there.  Go with your gut.

Take care.  
No, it is not normal!!

I am going to an ENT for my thyroid issue right now and he doesn't check my breasts!!