Thyroid Disorders Community
Breathless and hypothyroid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Breathless and hypothyroid

I am breathless when talking, slight exertion like up and down stairs and walking and taling at same time.  Doctor does not think it is asthma but is checking my thyroid levels - I am on 125 ml thyroxine and have been for 3 years or so.  I am hypothyroid but  what is the connection wit6h breathlessness?
Given a known hypothyroidic diagnosis, there are many factors from this that can cause breathlessness, and many not related as well.

I would suggest you need a sonogram in the throat area. You did not say if your gland was removed or not, but there have been cases of diseased glands growing back, and growing back much larger than normal. Something in that area could definitely be a factor. In addition, the sonogram will look at your corrated artery, and can tell you if you are at risk for hardening of the arteries and heart disease.

It's also possible your dosage of 125 ml is too big for you now, and it's causing minor anxiety like symptoms showing up in breathlessness, one of the most common of symptoms of those with hyperthyroidism. Dosage levels must change over time as we age and our life habits change.

Best of luck, but get a sonogram soon.
I haven't got the slightest idea to tell you the truth. Do you still have your thyroid or have you had any of it removed?

My thyroid blood levels are still w/in normal range but I do have some benign nodules on the right lobe of my thyroid that we've done one guided ultrasound FNA for and are currently monitoring via ultrasound once a year now. My only symptom is a somewhat constricted feeling in the center base of my throat. I can no longer wear my loose turtle neck shirts I've lived in most of my life. I can't even wear a close to the throat neckline T-shirt as they are somewhat uncomfortable and seem to make my breathing feel a little more difficult. Not enough to consider surgery for at this point tho I do miss my turtlenecks!
I always know when my thyroid meds needs to be lowered as my first symtom of too much is shortness of breath as you explained.
What are your actual thyroid hormone levels - Free T3 and Free T4?  Do you have Hashimoto's?  

It's not uncommon for those of us with nodules to have a choking sensation or the feeling like we can't breathe well; however, if you have true shortness of breath, you might want to ask your doctor to check your heart and pulmonary function.  

I had shortness of breath for some time; thyroid ultrasound showed that it was not caused by thyroid issues, so I ended up having multiple tests on my heart, which all came back okay; however, pulmonary tests early this year, indicated emphysema - I quit smoking 3+ yrs ago.
sheilaslims,

I think there is looking way outside the box on these comments prior to knowing your thyroid condition.

can you give a brief histroy of your thyroid condition?

Hypothyroidism inflammation throughout the body is common - especially when the levels are not adjusted.

Do you have current labs available and able to post here?
Thanks you all for your responses, I will ask for sonogram and see what GP has to say! I will know them tomorrow but cholesterol elevated to 6.3 now - can't have statins as had major problems with them.  I will post results of T3 and T4 tomorrow and woudl appreciate any help as I am not getting very far with GP but the breathlessness is affecting my daily living living. I am quite a calm person so don't unduly suffer stres as far as I am aware!
By the way, I have neer had any kind of thyroid surgery, nor nodules
Hi! I too have the breathlessness as you do. I am not overweight, do not smoke or have any asthma  or air way issues. I have had a cardiac workup- negative except for PSVT ( sudden onset of tachycardia). I also have great cholesterol, blood glucose levels.
  I do have small diffuse nodules  and had 1/2 thyroid taken out several years ago for nodules. And I recently went to endo- TSH is very good,my free T's are very low .She is the process of increasing my synthryoid and adding cytomel.
  I do not worry now after having heart  medically cleared. It is just annoying when I am out with friends and walking fast or up and down stairs because they notice I am a little slower and slightly short of breath.
I will be interested to see what you figure out . Best wishes to you!