My dr has ordered a ct of my sinuses with contrast. My history: Hypo from Hashimotos....and I always seem to have 1 or 2 small nodules that come and go. Is it safe to have the contrast die with hashi's? My labs are normal and stable on armour right now. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
I don't know. I would call the radiology office you where you are having the procedure.
I found this:
"Patients should inform the radiologist or technologist if they have a history of allergies (especially to medications, previous iodine injections, or shellfish), diabetes, asthma, a heart condition, kidney problems, or thyroid conditions. These conditions may indicate a higher risk of iodine reactions or problems with eliminating the iodine after the exam."
" Individuals with autoimmune thyroid disease (AITD) may have increased sensitivity to adverse effects of iodine. Those with previous iodine deficiency or nodular goiter may be particularly susceptible. "
Yeah it does make me nervous....I have had enough problems with this stupid hashi's attacking my poor thyroid and body!! LOL
I am going to give my endo a call and ask the radiology dept. I was hoping that someone here had it done and could calm my fears.
They have an alternative I hope? I am still waiting for my stupid ins co. to approve and schedule. Stupid %@@ insurance companies!!!!
I sent you a message before i saw this.
You were hyper first weren't you? did you have graves as well?
Hey Laura - I had a CT w/ IV contrast and I don't think (but was too nieve to know back then) it agrivated my thyroid. I, as you know, have an undisclosed thyroid condition but if I had to guess, I have hashi w/out antibodies. Anyway, started the thy roller coaster in April and had the CT in June..... and now I am here, and on Armour. As you know, I have consistently very normal blood draws. I really don't know if it made my symptoms worse, I just continued to have swelling and continued to feel bad. If I had to do it again, I would want an alternative. The radiologist knew I had an enlarged thyroid but he did not say anything to me about it.
Go with your gut and check with both the endo and the radiologist! Huggles! ~K
Thanks for the huggles!! :) Yes I think I will double check with the drs on this and make sure someone isnt making a mistake. I am still waiting for approval to have the darn test from my insurance company....rediculous!
So glad to hear you are feeling better!
Hugs back at ya!!
Oh - BTW - check a post on Trembiol (she is one of my friends) She had a CT w/ IV contrast (performed by her ONCOLOGIST AFTER she got a thyca diagnosis and that put off her RAI treatment for MONTHS. So, on the safe side, you do want to consider that if you still have the nodules and any of them are suspicious. If they are found to be thyca after CT, it will push post-surgery treatment off for anywhere from 3-12 months. Just my thought. But, I know you have a hashi backgrounds so I don't know what if anything they have tested with the nodule watching. My doc is stuck on nodule feeling and I am awaiting a US now.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.