Calcium after thyroid removal
How do calcium levels fit into a thyroid removal procedure? Is that what causes the electrical feelings going through my sister's body? How does balancing them stop those feelings? How long does it take to balance them? Why is a specialist needed?
The thyroid is located very close to the parathyroid glands in the neck.  Sometimes, with a thyroid removal, the parathyroids are either "shocked" or damaged during surgery.  The parathyroid glands regulate the body's calcium levels.  If they aren't working properly, the calcium levels get out of whack, causing "tingling" feelings in the face, hands, etc.  Proper calcium levels make these feelings go away.   Even if there aren't problems with calcium levels following thyroid surgery, many patients take extra calcium for a couple of weeks after surgery to make sure they keep their levels in check.
It is important to keep the calcium levels checked.  If they get too low , she could end up back in hospital.  It may be a temporary condition, or be like me ,still taking calcium supplements 2 years after TT, because my parathyroids did not kick in.  Good luck.
Trish
Make sure that you tell your sister that calcium (with Vitamin D for absorption) *must* be taken 4 hours apart from thyroid meds.  The calcium will bind the thyroid meds and keep them from working.  Many of us take the thyroid meds first thing in the morning (on an empty stomach) and the calcium in the evening.