Thyroid Disorders Community
Calf pain, muscle pain & twitching, heart palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I have been experiencing severe calf pain and heart palpitations for over 1 1/2 years since I delivered my daughter.  I am 32 years old and have seen numerous doctors who seem to be unable to solve this mystery.  At first, only my right calf muscle hurt, and I mean extreme pain especially when laying down.  Over time, the pain has traveled to both of my calves, thighs, hands, feet, arm, and headaches.  The pain is sharp and stabbing which lasts anywhere from 1 minute to hours in one location then moves to another area of the body.  To make matters worse, the last 6 months I have developed painless muscle twitching in my face, fingers, and toes.  

My cardiologist ran tests and I have an arrhythmia, but cannot be on beta blockers since my normal blood pressure is 80/60.  My heart palpitations are getting worse and I need to find out what is wrong. I know the palpitations are coming from whatever my muscles are lacking and causing them to have spasms and twitching. Its just amazing how many doctors I have seen that seem to not care or think I am making this up because they cannot find an answer.

A neurologist placed me on Levothyroxine which helps control most of the muscle pain but not the twitching.  However, I do not have hypothyroidism, my thyroid T3 and T4 are in normal range.  I continue to take 25mcg a low dose of Levothyroxine just to deal with the muscle pain.  I have stopped taking it for 3 weeks and was almost debilitated with the calf pain again.  I thought I was anemic or had a potassium, magnesium, or calcium deficiency but lab work shows its all normal.  I do know that before I got pregnant I was healthy.  I had a lot of complication with my pregnancy and about 6 months after my daughter was born, the muscle pain began.  I recently had my IUD taken out thinking maybe the Progestrone was to blame, but that was not it either.  I have tried vitamin B complex which is also linked to anemia, but that did not work either.  I am at a loss, and am hoping someone out there has some other suggestions.      

Thank you,

Amber
"However, I do not have hypothyroidism, my thyroid T3 and T4 are in normal range. "

-this was before thy med, right?

Do you have the lab papers, post if you do. Low but in range can create symptoms. In that case it can be the beginning of hypothyroid. Did you get  antibody tests TgAb and TPO? - Hashi antibodies.
The fact that you saw improvement with thyroid meds and then it got worse when reduced tells me it is thyroid related. When I was very hypo, I had extreme muscle cramps and twitching all over my body.  These became less intense over time with each increase. I still feel a bit hypo now and sometimes get eye twitching.  
Please post lab results with ref ranges!
I can relate to the  calf pain, arms and hands. I alleviate this with Chinese foot massages. Try them. Reflexology works. They work the soles of the feet and on up through your central nervous system and pressure points. I don't like using medication. I do have a little heart murmur and I use to faint a lot. I try to keep my stress level low and reflexology helps. Try it!