Can Hypothyroidism also cause balance problems?
Since feb of 2002 I've have been diagnosed as hypothyroid.  I've been on medication for quite some time and it's stabalized.  But I have also had balance problems since august of 2004 and the doctors and specialists have yet to discover what the diagnosis is.  I've seen countless neurologists, ent specialists, allergists, endocronologists and no one can find out what's causing these symptoms.  They thought is was MS but that has been ruled out too.  Even the Ent specialist has ruled out things like vertigo and inner ear disorders.  All my tests come out negetive.  It's very frustrating having the doctors look at me as if i'm making this up.  I even went to see a psychiatrist and he told me that I didn't fit the profile of someone who was psychosematic.  I"ve lost my job, my independance, as well as the chance to have a doctor take me seriously.  
My question is can being hypothyroid cause these symptoms?    I"m at a loss and really don't know where to turn anymore.  I always get the brush off and no one will take me seriously.  
I would appreicate any advice anyone can give me.  Thanks   Angeleyes....
Sorry you have to go through all of this.  I to am Hypothyroid and I have some problem with dizziness and balance.  There are some great sites that can help you.  I just hope Kitty responds to you. When was the last time you had your labs checked?  What where they?  Are you on any other kind of medications?
I'm scheduled for another lab test.  I usually go every three months.  Last time my levels were extremely high and they upped my dose of synthroid.  The doctor said he was suprised I had any energy to function at all.   I can't exactly remember what the numbers were but one of them I think it was TSH or the the other was at 13.    NO i'm not on any other kind of medications but they did have me on serc which was quite awhile ago and that didn't help either. They thought it was vertigo.  But it's not a dizzying sensation or spinning sensation, it's more of a feeling off balance while I'm walking, it feels like i'm gonna be pulled to the floor.   All the doctors are baffled and they kind of threw me into a group of people named "failure to diagnose".    I keep getting so many excuses and now they want to send me to a sleep study to see if that's what is causing these strange symptoms.   But I still say it probably all leads back to me being hypothyroid.  Before I was diagnosed with this I was healthy as a horse and it's all been downhill from there.  HOwever I keep positive and try to make the best of it. :)   I am also sorry that you're having the same kinds of problems.  I would truly appreciate hearing from you again.  Thanks so much and I'll keep ya posted.   Sincerely Angeleyes...
I know exactly how you feel with the off-balance thing. I too experienced what you did with doctors. 13 years ago, I was diagnosed with Meneire's Disease (inner ear). I never believed I had that and the treatment didn't work either. Then I was diagnosed with Migraine Associated Vertigo last year. Still didn't buy the diagnosis.
My TSH results were always in the high end of "normal" during this time. I asked doctors and they said "No, it's not your thyroid." I still wondered, though. I work in the lab as a Microbiologist and have a medical background.
Then my "luck" changed this past summer when I finally had a TSH above the normal range. I was diagnosed 1 month later and began taking Synthroid.Just before diagnosis, I had extreme insomnia with anxiety.
For the first time in a long while, I went to the mall, grocery store and work and didn't feel dizzy for even a second. That was just this weekend. What a good feeling, finally.
I believe the hypo was causing my off-balance, pulled- to- the- left feeling. It took so much energy from me, I could almost do nothing else. I had trouble with standing, sitting and walking. I have spent many thousand out of pocket at neurologists, oto-neurologists, ENT, GP, psychiatrist, and all the associated tests. To think that maybe a trial of this inexpensive pill may have helped me all of these years is upsetting. I can get over it, though, as long as I am well now.

Vertigo/balance problems are listed as a symptom in hypothyroidism. In fact, one artcle from a textbook states that hypothyroidism should be suspected with undiagnosed cause of vertigo.

If you message me, I can give you a few links regarding this.

I have only met one other person describe what you and I have experienced. She too was just diagnosed with hypoT. I found her through this forum.

Do you know where your levels are now?

Kitty

They will only do tests for my thyroid every three months.  So I'm still waiting to take that test once again.  But with each test it gets worse.  They keep putting me on synthroid and uping the doses but it doesn't seem to work or keep it functioning normal.   I also suffer from bad insomnia which is why they want to send me to a sleep study.   I can completely understand what you have gone through, at this point I still can't go to the stores unaccompanied.  However I was luckier to get a diagnosis right away.  Unfortunetly the doctors keep saying well stick to this pill but it doesn't seem to make my levels decrease.  So it's all confusing right now.   It's scary cause even though i've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism my doctor doesn't seem to be taking it as a serious disease.   With luck though maybe he can prescribe something else.   We'll see when I go for my bloodwork again.   I appreciate your reply.  It's nice to know that some people are out there who can understand.  I'll keep you posted and I hope things only get better for you now that you have your medication.   Take care    angeleyes....
It is very crappy!! :{
What dose are you on? Can you asked be tested at 2 months instead of 3? Do you also get free t4 tested?
Are you taking the meds on an empty stomach and not eating for at least 1/2 hour after?

Thanks for your encouraging words and I hope the same for you. Do keep me posted, as we seem a bit unusual in the symptom category!

Kitty
Hey guys.  I guess we are unique to say the least?  LOL  Hey Kitty I'd like to have some of those links you are talking about.  I'm gonna take them with me to my next endo appt.  Angeleyes-do you have an endo?  Jessi
http://ivertigo.net/vertigo/versystemic.html

http://www.mcl.tulane.edu/departments/psych_neuro/neurolect/book/wch4.pdf
see page 8

Jessie- I'd rather be normal instead of unique! ;)

angeleyes- I hope these can be of use to you, too.

Kitty
I'm on .05 mgs of the synthroid   I think it's call levothyroxine.  Lol i forget the spelling.   Even though my levels were extemely high last time the doctor kept me on this level for some dumn reason.  Yes I also get the free t4 tested and that's off too.  Yes I take them on an empty stomach.  Usually the same time every morning.   That's a good question I should ask my doctor if I could tested every two months.  I'll do that.     To Jessie :  They sent me to an endo once to see if my balance problems were due to another hormonal reason, he didn't even ask to see me again related to my thyroid. So unfortenetly I have to go through my family doctor.   Unique yes LOL  I"d say all of us are uniquely frustrated as well  LOL   Thanks so much Kitty for the link and I'll keep you posted.  Good luck Jessie with taking that info to your Endo.  I tried that once with my family doctor and he thought I was trying to look smarter than him. hehe    Take care both of you and keep in touch.    Angeleyes...
yes yes yes!!!!!we really are unique persons.i do suffer from the same problem of balancing.to ur info i too felt better before i was on medication.i feel as something pulling me downward to earth.i feel only well when i lie down.i too have gone to many endos.ents and all of them are worthless,i feel i manipulate or overpresent my symptoms.i think this is all due to hypothyroidism.its such a tragedy we eot levo for curing but we still suffer with so many other symptoms.there is no use in spending money on other dept. of medicali.e,ent endo and alll.its a sheer waste of money.i think we have to bear the grunt or wait for the medicine dosage to click.best of luck!!!
Knock knock me too.....I hate the dizzy feeling too. Sometimes I even feel as though I am walking on egg crates. I even gave myself B12 shots to see if it was a deficiency. It wasn't. I agree it has to be from being hypo.
Hi, i have recently given birth and been diagnosed with hypothyrodism. My brain is always in a fog and i have balance problems too.Always feeling like i am being pulled to the left and that i am floating.On top of it i also have tinnitus(ringging in the ears) Told my endo of all my symptoms and he says it is not related to being hypo.I'm so confused now with my symptoms.Anyone out there with similiar symptoms? Badly looking for answers as doc's are not able to help! Hello Kitty, wish you could help me as my symptoms are similiar to yours! Any advise from anyone will be greatly appreciated!
I have the balance issues too, swaying & bouncing. I've concluded its the thyroid problems.
Thank you SO much for your comments. I have recently been diagnosed with a very small 'thing' in my left thyroid...too small for a biopsy and the Endocrinologist said to come back in 'six months' - however, I have severe balance problems, only when walking and I, too, am being "pulled to the left." I am also unusually tired from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed. I do not have insomnia and sleep well. I do have neuropathy (they say) and my feet up to my ankles feel as if they are wearing elastic stockings. I am not sure if this is related to the balance issue or not but now believe it is my thyroid, thanks to all of you. I have an appointment later this month (October) to see the Endocrinologist with this new information. Thank you again and again. I will keep in touch.
Donalie
I agree that Hypo can cause dizziness balance issues.

However.  another thing to consider.  I had dizzy feelings to and could not figure out what it was.  I would get a little worse each day in the early afternoon.  I finally traced it back to NutraSweet in Diet Coke that I was having every day at lunch.  At the same time I had some heart palps and I cut out Caffeine too.  

Long story short. When I cut out caffeine for the most part AND 100% of anything with NutraSweet and diet soda's as a rule,  My dizziness feelings went away.  Turns out I did some more research and one of the side effects to NutraSweet was dizziness.

So if you drink a lot of diet soda's or stuff with NutraSweet in it. You may want to cut that out and see if that helps.  For me it took a couple weeks.

All I know is since I've stopped, I've almost never had that light headed dizziness feeling for unknown reasons again.

Just a thought!
Just to throw in another possibility, it could be related to allergies.  I have found my self having balance issues due to the so-called "inner ear" being affected by allergic reactions, especially during the pollen season in the Spring and good old goldenrod and ragweed in the Fall.  I found that a good nasal spray like NasalCrom helped a lot.
I to am having major balance issues and have had a thyroidectomy 20 yrs ago. My lab tests supposedly are normal but after reserching the net I am hypothyroid. My TSH is 3.6 which is in the normal range although  25% of people show signs of hypothyroidism with TSH greater than 3. I have also had ear problems with hearing loss but knew it was not the ears that had thrown my balance. I too felt as though I was being pulled to the floor. I also felt panicky as felt I would pass out. It was a confusing time as am 53 and have just been through menopause although was still getting the odd peroid which is symptomatic of hypothyroidism.
I took it upon myself to increase Thyoxine tablets and am now thankfully back to normal. The Doctors rely totally on blood results and not hypothyroid symptoms. I was on such a low dose of Throxine (75mcg) it was obvious I was hypothyroid to me!!
I hope this helps you as it is really debilitating.
kitty,
I have the same off balance sensations, and was just recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism (after a year and a half of endless tests) ... although endo suspects this may be hashimoto's.  I would appreciate the links that you mentioned to learn more about the imbalance and dizziness that can accompany hypothyroidism.  It almost feels like I am walking on a marshmallow sometimes ... kind of a drunken sensation.  

Thank you.
Hi guys I was recently diagnosed with an under active thyroid as well and the doctor put me on Synthroid too but she is very confused as to why I am so dizzy all the time, she told me that "medically speeking" it is not a symptom of thyroid disease but she said it is kind of weird that this happened around the same time as being diagnosed the doctor is sending me for an angiogram (which I am very nervous about) to see if there may be a blockage,it makes me feel a bit better to know that I am not alone out there thank you for sharing your stories I wish you all the best and will keep in touch as well
Currently, I am experencing balance problems, however, my balance issues pull me to the right side.  I have been to my personal physician several times in three months as I thought my ears and sinuses were infected.  As it turns out, my sinuses and ears aren't infected but I constantly have ringing  in my ears.  I was told several years ago that I had hearing loss.  I am soooo caught for words, angry because the physicians look at you like your losing your mind.  I was beginning to wonder if it was my heart that was the cause.  In recent months, I had that checked as well and my stress test  showed that my heart was fine!!! I have an anxious feelling with this balance issue as well.  If we are all hypothyroid, and we all have the balance issue, why is it that balance issues are a symptom of hypothyroidism?  
I have had hypothyroidism for years, but recently have had trouble keeping tsh in range. Also have some palpable nodules. Im getting an ultrasound. In the meantime i have developed severe insomnia, and strange balance issue. As you all dscribe, i feel im being pulled to the right, sometimes to the left. Like trying to walk w hen you're really drunk.
HI all! I am also suffering from thyroid problems,have many other health problems, about dizzynes wanted to point to you ,who have this problem(i have myself) to check your iron levels,especialy ferritin..Iron  deficiency can cause vertigo and dizzynes and i think a lot of people with thyroid problems might have iron deficiensy , but you need to get tested to know for sure. Great life saving info at
http://www.*************************  You should inform yourself and get some real help

info about iron  and thyroid here  http://www.*************************/ferritin/
It seems the link is not visible, i dont know how to post the link that you can see it ..Can somebody tell me?
I have recently had surgery to remove my complete thyroid.  I also had issues with balance, dizziness and panic even prior to surgery (actually for 2 years).  It has been almost three weeks since my surgery and I am still feeling the same, but the dizziness is less often but the balance issue remains.  I strongly feel that this is related to hypothyroid.  I will be seeing the doctor in the coming month to take blood work. Has anyone been where I am now and if so, have you gotten better?

Thanks.
Chris
There is frequently quite a transition after a TT.  Getting past it successfully depends a lot on having a good thyroid doctor that will treat clinically by testing and adjusting the biologically active thyroid hormones, which are Free T3 and free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4), as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  You should make sure that your doctor tests for Free T3 and Free T4 each time you go in for testing.  Also, would be a good idea to test for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, along with a full iron test panel.  And yes, we have had many members who have gone through a partial or total thyroidectomy and gotten better.  
I appreciate all the information you provided me.  This is really helpful too me and has given me hope.

Bless you.

Many Thanks.
Chris
Hello, I'm a bit accident prone, I guess you could call me Urkel but I wouldn't mind if you didn't... LOL It's not quite so much to do with dizziness but I do end up with weak ankles or knees when I try to run or jog. I end up favoring walks instead. I also get migraines on my left side, especially behind my left eye, like this strong pressure every now and then, and mild headaches seem to happen almost every day, have night terrors occasionally. Not sure if migraines are from high blood pressure or what, but I seem to feel more clumsy close to those times. I do take prescription medicine every day so I don't miss days. I have been taking a B complex with C in it and that really works with moods :) Not sure about Urkel moments, still testing that... :) Also, hot tea is great (green, white, peppermint) for stress, at least what I've gathered. I'm hoping that it has some positive effects on my balance and headaches. Good luck to you guys and many blessings!
angeleyes 1978

My fiancé is suffering the same symptoms. He has not been diagnosed with hypothyroidism yet but his symptoms are being off balance, he has gained 40 pounds in 5 months while being on active duty in Afghanistan. They have sent him for an MRI he will get that tomorrow. They are running blood tests to check for hypothyroidism. He has very little energy. They did an eye test on him initially and it showed his eyes literally twitching. Did/do your eyes twitch?
twiggy46127
All you guys need to find a doctor to identify your condition as hashimoto hypothyroidism or other class. it its is hashimoto it means its autoimmune, and maybe is not your body attacking your cerebellum and causing balance problems. it is a very complicated issue and only solution to it is the best way to manage it. if you like more information email me at ***@**** write me ill try to help or find you some help. Sorry for your pain :-(.
Shane, I saw your comment was 2010 but hope you are still connected, I have the same issues as you, including tinnitus.  Have you had any breakthroughs? Praying you are well, Gary
Just to confirm that your issues may be related, I have copied the following from an even longer list of symptoms that can be realated to being hypothyroid.

Energy Level and Sleep:

Chronic fatigue
    Excessive tiredness
    Less stamina than others
    Less energy than others
    Long recovery period after any activity
    Inability to stand on feet for long periods
    Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
    Nodding off easily
    More fatigued and sore than normal after exercise
    Feel weak
    Run down
    Sluggish
    Lethargic
    Sleep apnea
    Snoring
    Insomnia
    3:00pm crash
    Need naps in the afternoon
    Weakness
    Dizziness
    Lightheaded
    Fainting episodes
    Sudden loss of consciousness
    Wake feeling tired
    Frequently oversleep

Ears:

Oversensitive hearing
    Noises in ears (hissing, ringing)
    Deafness
    Tinnitus
    Internal itching of ears
    Dizziness from fluid on the inner ear
    Excess earwax
    Vertigo

If you will please post your thyroid related test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report, we will be glad to assess the adequacy of your tests.  
Hypo, being treated....and balance probs unexpectedly ...never before
Old or hypo......I think hypo!
Wow I can't believe I'm hearing other people are going through the same as me. My thyroid in May of this year (2014) was 0.07 my heart dr thinks my primary should wein me off of my thyroid meds and I've been to so many doctors also and no one can tell me anything either . And I also mention could this be caused by my thyroid meds and they say no there is no side effects I think they are wrong. I don't get dizziness it's like something jerking me back
I would like to email you but it doesn't show your email, let me try to put mine in at gmail  thank you and hope to here from you
Sharhome 845
I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in February 2015 and underwent the radioiodine treatment to "kill" the thyroid in March.  I also took Methimazole until June 2015 when lab results showed that my TSH had increased to 53.84.  My endocrinologist told me to stop taking Methimazole at that time and put me on Synthroid.  Throughout this period (and ongoing), I have been experiencing significant balance issues and have not been able to engage in "normal" activities.  After the radioiodine treatment in March, I tried to return to work, but after almost passing out on Day 3, I decided that I could not return to work until my symptoms were under control.  I have been seen by my primary care physician, as well as an endocrinologist, neurologist, and a physical therapist, but my balance issues have not been resolved yet.  I began to feel that my symptoms were all in my head until I came across this forum and realized that others were experiencing similar symptoms to mine.  I am concerned that I may lose my job if I am not able to return to work soon, but I don't know how or when I'll be able to return to work since my balance issue is preventing me from engaging in other activities of daily living.
Please help us assess your status by posting your most recent thyroid related test results, including reference ranges.  Also what dose of Synthroid, and when did you start it relative to those test results?  What symptoms are you having besides the balance problem?  Finally, if tested for Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin, please post those also.
My TSH was <0.01 (standard range = 0.35 to 4.0) in February 2015 when I was diagnosed with Graves Disease.  I was prescribed methimazole in February and underwent RAI in March.  My blood test on 4/48/15 showed a TSH of 3.78, but I continued to take methimazole.  My blood tests on 6/1/15 showed a TSH level of 45.12 and I was instructed by my doctor to stop taking methimazole.  My blood test on 6/9/15 showed a TSH of 53.84 and my doctor put me on Syntroid 75 mcg.  My most recent blood test on 8/3/15 showed a TSH of 19.81 and my doctor increased the Synthroid to 100 mcg.  My T4 was 2.4 in February 2015 and dropped to 0.4 in June, but my blood test on 8/3/15 showed a T4 level of 1.1 (standard range = 0.8 to 1.5).  My T3 level was 277 in February (standard range = 58 to 159), but my last test result on 6/9/15 showed a T3 level of 33.  My vitamin D level was 29 in March 205 and my vitamin B12 was 512.
Not sure why your doctor has been so inconsistent about which tests are done.  You should make sure they test you for Free T4 and Free T3 every time you go in for tests.  TSH is largely a waste of time when already taking thyroid meds.  Since your levels were so inadequate in June, the doctor started you on 75 mcg of T4.  Then in Aug. it was increased to 100.  So you really have no idea what your Free T4 and Free T3 levels are currently.  

If you look through this list of 26 symptoms that are typically associated with being hypothyroid, which ones do you have, if any?

Also, your D and B12 are too low and need to be supplemented to optimize them.  You also need to test for ferritn.  D needs to be about 55-60, B12 in the very upper end of its range, and ferritin should be about 70 minimum.

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T4 and Free T3 as necessary to relieve symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.  Symptom relief should be all important, not just test results.  You can get some good insight from this link written by a good thyroid doctor.  

http://www.hormonerestoration.com/Thyroid.html

I also suggest that you should make an appointment to get back in for tests as soon as possible.  You were just increased to 100, so the doctor may resist testing before 3-4 weeks, but I would push it, since you were not tested for Free T3 previously.  Make sure it is always Free T3, not Total T3.  
I have also recently been suffering from balance issues but it's gotten much better.  For the past year I've been dizzy, light headed, and felt like I was always pulling to the left.  Then I discovered in June of this year that my Doctor had under treated me.  I've switched doctors twice since June and have been back on Levothyroxine for 2 months...I no longer have that pulled to the left feeling but still suffer from the occassionaly equilibrium being off balance but it's truly gotten much, much better over these past two months.  One thing that does help me is that I walk at least five days per week for 30 minutes a day and try my best to eat healthy and consume those nutrients that are good for our thyroid (B12 in liver, etc) as well as supplement my b12 and Vitamine D3.

Once I started back on the Leovthyroxine and saw most of my symptoms improve I started walking as my doctor suggested.  I alsoh had to use a walking stick because my balance was so off and I used it to get around at work.  I chose a walking stick because a friend of mine stated that a stick will keep you upright.  I used my stick for a good six weeks and have recently been able to not walk with it but I still keep it in my car just in case.
My symptoms include feeling weak and tired, dizziness, lightheadedness, weakness in my legs, inability to stand for long periods, balance issues, feeling of being pulled to the right or left, and brain fog.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm walking on marshmallows.  I purchased a transport chair a few months ago, which has helped me get around easier.  The website that you referred me to was very helpful.  Thank you!  I have also been looking into thyroid supplements, but I wasn't sure if they would be effective in alleviating my symptoms.  I am scheduled to see my endocrinologist next week (8/12), so I was planning  to ask her about these supplements.  Thank you for your helpful feedback!!
Thank you for your feedback.  I'm sorry for what you had to go through, but I'm glad that you are doing better.  It's comforting to know that I am not the only one with these symptoms.  My primary care physician referred me to a neurologist, but the neurologist could not figure out the cause of my balance issues, so I was beginning to feel that it was all in my head.
Being an Endo doesn't guarantee a good thyroid doctor.  Many Endos specialize in diabetes, not thyroid.  Also, many of them have the "Immaculate TSH Belief" and only pay attention to TSH.  That doesn't work.  If they go beyond TSH typically it is to test for Free T4 and then they will use "Reference Range Endocrinology" and tell you that test result that falls anywhere within the range is adequate.  That is very wrong.  Due to the erroneous way they were established, the ranges are far too broad to be functional across their entire breadth for many people.  Many of our members say that symptom relief required Free T4 at the middle of the range, at minimum, and Free T3 in the upper third of its range, or as necessary to relieve symptoms.  

So with the Endo I suggest that you should concentrate on getting the tests mentioned above.  If he resists, you should insist on them and don't take no for an answer.  You also need to find out if he is going to be willing to treat clinically, as described.  If not, then you will need to find a good thyroid doctor that will do so.  
I have been suffering from vertigo for over 3 years and they tell me it is the crystals in my ears and recommend eply maneuvers but keeps coming back like every 2 months and lasts for about 4 weeks then cycle repeats. I have most of the symptoms u have listed. I have lots of nodules and a goiter thats negative. I M so depressed that I cannot function as I use too. I have trouble when I walk, stand sit, work on the computer. Sometimes i feel faint and sleepy as if I didn't  get any sleep when I get 8 hours. I have sleep apnea and use machine and I feel worse. Can't wake up in the morning. Had MRI, ent tests, seen nuetologist all say crystals.   Why can't they find what is wrong. They tell me I am just a nervous person and want me on anxiety pill and anti depressants which I refuse to do.  My labs r normal accirding to dr. Tsh 0.8 is that low although they tell me it is normal. I experience alot of anxiety, night sweats, hot nthen cold, fogged,  so drained, depressed, heart races fast once in a while. I don't smoke, drink or do caffeine. Should I see an endocrinologist? Please help. I am beginning to think these dr think I am a hypochondriac. This is sad.
Just wanted to share this bit of information...In May I was put off of work by my primary care Doctor due to, what I later discovered on my own, being hypothyroid.  I've since changed Doctors and needed to have my current Doctor, who is and endocrinologist/internal medicine, resubmit my paperwork stating that I could return to work.  Guess what he put on the paperwork as to why I needed to be off - he stated that I had been suffering moderately severe hypothyroidism that caused me to be dizzy, among other symptoms!  He also stated that I may have occassionaly flare ups that would require me to be off from work occassionally but as we work towards optimal treatements these flare ups would be minimal.  My Doctor and I discussed my equilibrium being off and he said this does happen to some patients whose thyroids are out of balance!  What's most interesting about my current doctor (he's my third endocrinologist) is that he won't allow patients to take their blood tests prior to your appointment.  He takes them the day off and as his office is affiliated with the hospital he gets the tests back within 24 hours.  When I asked him why I couldn't come in a week prior to give my blood he stated because he was more interested in how I was feeling over my blood work (music to my ears)!  He does test Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH.  I was concerned about his watching the TSH until he explained what he was leaning towards for my next course of therapy and didn't even mention the TSH.  He said he was watching myFree T4 and T3.  Since he had a baseline for the Free T3 and T4
established at my last appointment a month ago he wanted to see if my Free T4 was still at the top of the range mine tested at 1.76 and the top is1.77 and confirm that my Free T3 was still in the middle of the range.  If that's the case then he will be dropping my levothyroxine and adding in cytomel.  If T4 is down and T3 is tracking upwards then we will stay the course on the levothyroxine for now.  If it hadn't been for the great people on this forum I would have most probably stayed with a doctor who just told me my TSH is "within range".  This doctor is the 5th I've worked with and seems to be one who really gets it so please, please keep looking.  There are doctors out there that seem to be really listening to patients and watching and learning from patient feedback on boards like this one.
Just gotta add that my doctor listed several of those symptoms shared by Gimel as my reason for having to have been out of work for most of the summer!  And he always, always, checks the fluid in my ears!
Just to add to the good info from Robbie, if TSH is the only test done for you, then you obviously need further tests done.  Specifically you need to test for Free T4 and Free T3 (not the same as Total T4 and Total T3).   Also would be good to know Vitamin D, B12 and ferritin.  

A good thyroid doctor will treat a hypo patient clinically by testing and adjusting Free T3 and Free T4 as necessary to relieve hypo symptoms, without being constrained by resultant TSH levels.   Symptom relief should be all important for you, not just test results.  Your doctor is no doubt convinced that your TSH assures that you don't have hypothyroidism; however, he is overlooking the possibility of central hypothyroidism, with which  there is a dysfunction in the  hypothalamus/pituitary system which results in lower than needed TSH levels, and accompanying levels of Free T4 and Free T3 that are low enough to slow down body functions.  

So you do need a good thyroid doctor, which does not automatically mean an Endo.  I am sending you a PM with doctor info for your consideration.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.  
Thank u for ur information. I forgot to mention my Free T4 is 1.07 on average range of .73 - 1.95 and TSH 0.8 average range 0.5 -4.7. Should I still investigate further. I just want to feel better and quit balding it on my mental state as they claim.
Thank u for ur information. I forgot to mention my Free T4 is 1.07 on average range of .73 - 1.95 and TSH 0.8 average range 0.5 -4.7. Should I still investigate further. I just want to feel better and quit balding it on my mental state as they claim. Found no message
Absolutely you should investigate further.  Even though your TSH is .8, your Free T4 is too low in the range, consistent with central hypothyroidism.  You haven't even been tested for Free T3 yet, which is also very important.

Note the following words from a good thyroid doctor, "The free T3 is not as helpful in untreated persons as the free T4 because in the light of a rather low FT4 the body will convert more T4 to T3 to maintain thyroid effect as well as is possible. So the person with a rather low FT4 and high-in-range FT3 may still be hypothyroid. However, if the FT4 is below 1.3 and the FT3 is also rather low, say below 3.4 (range 2 to 4.4 at LabCorp) then its likely that hypothyroidism is the cause of a person's symptoms."

So you definitely deserve further testing and treatment by a good thyroid doctor.  
Thank u very much. I will certainly persist in getting a referral to an endo. I will post as soon as I do.
I have had hyperthyroidism for 20years.  Initially there was a large nodule on my thyroid which went away with medication (100mcg unithroid). I was monitored by my PCP, and all was well.  About 2 years ago more nodules developed and I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. I had been having ear aches, sore throat and balance issues, weakness in my legs, difficulty doing stairs.  My thyroid and several lymph nodes were removed, the cancer had not spread beyond the thyroid. I continued to take 100mcg of unithroid. The ear aches, sore throat, and balance issues improved when my thyroid was removed. The muscle weakness did not.The first time the levels (TSH only) were checked, it was 15.98. They lectured me on the importance of taking my med every day etc. I said I had, and they changed the dosage to 125mcg. The next check the level was at 3.98, but still not where they wanted it so they increased the dosage to 150mcg.  At 150mcg, I could not function - could barely get out of bed.  So with the approval of my PCP, I went back to 125mcg, and told the endocrinologist this.  I got read the riot act again, and they said the TSH level was not where they wanted it. So they said to take 125mcg, but take 8 pills a week - so 1 day a week I take 2 pills. The day I take the 2 pills, I start to feel miserable - have trouble swallowing food, dizzy, fatigue  and a  host of other things. As I go through the week, I start to feel better.  By day  6  I feel ok, but not great, and then we start all over again.  I have asked about the T3 and T4, but they say they do not check those, only the TSH. I have asked re the weakness in my legs, and have been told it is not thyroid related and that I should see a neurologist. I have not.  Along the way on one of my falls, I broke an ankle.  I have been doing physical therapy. There has been progress, but not to the degree I would like.  We have noticed, that my inability to do things, seems to be related to the dosage of the unithroid.  I go again on Tuesday to have the levels checked.  Any thoughts on how I should proceed with the doctor.  They seem much more concerned with the numbers and not at all concerned with how I feel!!
I understand why the doctors want your TSH suppressed.  It is to preclude the possibility of a return on the thyroid cancer; however, it is ridiculous to ignore what the higher dose is doing to you.  Symptoms should be the main concern, not just test results, and especially not TSH results.  

TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone.  You should be tested for both of the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T4 and Free T3 (not the same as Total T4 and Total T3), every time you go in for tests.  In addition, you need to be tested for Reverse T3, cortisol, Vitamin D and ferritin.  You should insist on getting those tests done so that you can see what may be causing your symptoms.  If the doctor resists, just insist on them and don't take no for an answer.  

Once you get those tests done you can see if your Free T3 is low in the range, which can cause hypo symptoms.  If so, it would be better to stay at a lower level of T4 med and add a source of enough T3 to both relieve symptoms and also suppress your TSH level.  The D, cortisol and ferritin are important also.  Hypo patients are often too low in the ranges for those as well.  

If you can get those tests done, then post results and ranges and we can help interpret and advise further.  

I am sending you a PM with further info.  To access, just click on your name and then from your personal page, click on messages.