Thyroid Disorders Community
Can I be allergic to a certain batch of Synthroid?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1977.  I first took Euthroid, then Synthroid, and later Levo-Thyroxine.  I have never had a problem with any medication.  My therapy has always been successful.  I am healthy in every other way, and take no other medication, vitamin, or supplement.

After having been on Levo-Thyroxine for a few years, my endocrinologist put me back on Synthroid.  I took Synthroid for many years; therefore, I did pay any attention to the change.

After being on Synthroid for a few weeks (beginning May 8, 2009) my eyes and ear canals became extremely swollen.  I also had a great deal of head pressure.  After a C-SCAN, I my PCP diagnosed acute sinusitis.  I was given an antibiotic, and Prednisolone and later Prednisone.  I was also referred to an allergist immediately.  I went through the allergy tests, which showed allergies to cats, dogs, and roaches.  I knew about my allergies to cats and dogs because I had gone through allergy shots in 1982.  Because of my allergies, I have no animals at home.  The allergist diagnosed "non-allergic rhinitis."

Througout these last few weeks, I only feel some relief when I am taking Prednisone.  As soon as I am off of it, the very acute symptoms begin all over again.  Since I take no other medication, or vitamin, I thought I might have a chemical allergy to the Synthroid.  On July 2, I decided to switch back to an old bottle of Levo-Thyroxine that had 12 pills left in it, and which will not expire until the end of 2009.  After having been on the Levo-Thyroxine for one day, I felt about 70% better.  I kept improving as the days went on.  Today is July 6, and I feel perfectly well.

When I looked at the contents of the two bottles, I found that they both contained the same tablet.  The tablets are labeled "Synthroid" on one side; on the other side the number "88" is stamped on the tablet.  The color green is also the same.  However, the bottles are labeled differently.  One bottle reads "Levo-Thyroxine, 88 MCG."  The other bottle reads "Synthroid, 88 MCG."  I am totally confused.  What am I allergic to?

The answer to your question is yes.  Each brand name, each generic and even different thryoid meds all contain different fillers.  Most endos won't allow the use of generic thyroid meds because they are not consistant with their contents.  I reacted to synthroid and the generic form as well because they both contain lactose (I am lactose intolerant) and acacia.  Acacia fillers in meds for people with severe allergies like myself is not a good idea.  I researched all the meds and found that Levoxyl does not contain these fillers and have been switched.  My advice to you is research, research and more research.  Good luck!
I was also going to add information about the fillers. Even through Synthroid is a "name brand" tablet - some people can have adverse reactions to this med too. Its what you find that works and stay with it.

Many people ( for some reason) are developing lactose reactions. I am not sure if it has to do with the hormones being pumped into the cows more due to mass production of milk needed or what else is going on. The point is that it seems lactose is a real concern for many people and with the production of using it as filler in medicine, more people are finding meds causing more problems when they are using it.

A major issue with lactose is bloating and GI issues - but swelling in certain areas of the body are also cause to see if a person is lactose intolerant.

I think you should talk to your doctor and get on the med you are finding the best results from.

For some reason - I was intolerant to Synthroid. It was the red RC-9 (??) color additive used that had me ill with it. I was rashy all the time and looked like I had roseola on my cheeks permantely.

I also had conversion issues with T4 so using Synthroid was really hurting me more that helping.

Research - as stated above. There are many things available that we can take to help us feel better.
My daughter with severe allergies had similar to you and the CT Scan showed severely inflammed turbinates.

Here is a lnk from our database:

http://www.medhelp.org/drugs/levothyroxine/show/3913

Mucosal swelling as you describe can be from an allergy.  IT can affect ears, nose, throat, intestines, etc.  This type of "delayed" reaction can be "T" cell mediated and not as common as many other allergies.  These keywords may help you find info

In the meantime, call your druggist who will read you all the inert ingredients .. I'd list them out side by side to see which ones are differing so those may be the culprit.

Do you have lactose issues at all? Lactose is a filler in many many meds ?

Keep us posted .. PM me and keep in touch .. I really am concerned for you and want to know what happens if that's ok.

C~
I have been on Levoxyl for over 20 years straight with great results and perfect T levels, levoxyl was discontinued and taken off the market so the doctor recently switched me to synthroid/ levothyroxine by Lannett (walgreens brand) and in the last 13 days of being on the new medicine my sinus have swollen so much my face is poofy my throat is tight my chest feels heavy with pressure I have breathing problems, come to find out Synthroid and Levothyroxine by Lannett both contain ACACIA and LACTOSE. Many people have allergic reactions to acacia, especially if they have seasonal allergies or sinus problems.. I switched to levothyroxine by Mylan (walmart brand) which does not contain acacia or lactose and all my allergic symptoms are starting to slowly go away.. Feels good to breath again!
Thanks.  Good to know.  Glad you are feeling better.