Thyroid Disorders Community
Can I get disability for having Thyroid problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm 38 years old.  I got diagnosed for many things in my early 30s fast.  I have hyprothyroidism, diabetic, and anemic.  I've had some very heavy and painful periods that lasted more then a week I got so tired of it so I had surgery done and now I no longer have periods and can't have kids.  I feel so depressed, my mind is so out of sorts I can't concentrate, I'm ALWAYS tired, ex left me cause I was not interested in intercourse. I'm just not myself.  I use to be so up beat, energetic, always on the go and now I feel so tired, old, and what's the use really type thinking.  I'm so tired of this.  It's hard to get up and go to work.  And at work I can't concentrate, just want to sleep.  Also, my hair has thinned, skin so dry and thick and now noticing pains in my muscles and bones.  I can't lose weight for the life of me.  I have so many problems I don't know what to do.  I take diabetic pills and insulin, along with iron pills for anemic, and thyroid pills for my thyroid along with aspirin, chelestrol, and depression meds.  If you look at a week I feel good maybe two days out of the week and just want to stay home and sleep the rest.  What should I do?  I'm lost.  I've thought of just applying for disability but not sure if i'm able. I'm calling out for help!! Any ideas?
Are you on thyroid medication? If so what type do you have your most recent lab results? If you do post them here, include referenc ranges provided for each. Did your MD do TSH only, or did he do Free T3 and Free T4? Post these also if he has. It is very hard to determine how you are doing with your Hypothyroid condition without thse lab results and ranges, ranges very from lab to lab. So we need both. If you are on medication, it is obvious that you still have symptoms, all the problems including weight gain, fatigue/energy level, depression, concentration etc are  signs that you are not getting enough T4 and T3 from your medication and need a dosage adjustment. If you do not have the labs noted as Free T3 and Free T4, then rquest your MD order them and ask for a printed copy of the results afterwards. By law they must give you a copy. Then post the results. Best Regards FTB4
ALL your symptoms are consistent with being Hypo (low) thyroid.  You are under-medicated and need a dosage increase. Fatigue and low sex drive are common as well as all the other symptoms you list.

The heavy and/or irregular periods are common with low thyroid.  Maybe if you were treated properly the surgery would not have been needed.  MAYBE.

Unfortunately most Dr's do not know squat about treating Thyroid patients properly.  In order to feel well again. You are going to have to get VERY proactive and be your own best advocate.  

Please report your lab results here including the reference ranges which are usually listed in parentheses to the right of your result.  Write down exactly what the lab report says as being specific about the type of tests run is important.  

If you do not have the lab report you can ask for it. In the USA it is law that if asked the Dr is required by law to provide the report to you.  So ask for it. Don't just get a verbal phone call or vague tests are "normal". sort of thing.

If the Dr is ONLY testing you for TSH that is the 1st clue that you are NOT on the right road.  Going only by TSH will almost assuredly keep you feeling like crap.

You may have to demand and not take no for an answer to be tested for "FREE T4" and "FREE T3". be VERY specific about the "free" test. As if you do not ask for that test specifically you will likely get the "total" T4 and total T3 test done.  "TOTAL" test are outdated and are very limited in value.  The "free" test actually counts the available hormone that your body can use. The total test counts both usable and unusable hormone.  Clearly you only want to know the usable or "free" hormone.

You have to be patient with this as it takes time and you may have to go to several Dr's before you find one who has a real clue how to treat you.  But you have to be persistent, patient and a strong advocate for yourself.  Otherwise Dr's will roll over you like a steam roller and you will likely feel like you've been run over by a steam roller.  Find the right Dr who will listen to your symptoms and test for the Free T4 and Free T3 and you'll be on the road to recovery.
To answer your question about getting disability for thyroid problems - I seriously do not think you can get government disability. If you have private short or long term disability insurance through work, that might be a possible.

The good news is you came here which happens to be the best thyroid forum on the web. It sounds like you hit your low point and thats when people get fed up with the medical system and seek an alternative information route to "get better".

To feel optimaly healthy with a thyroid disorder sometimes requires the patient to learn more about this condition than the average Dr knows about. Its not as tough as it sounds, and unfortunately, many medical schools just briefly go over thyroid treatment, so this leaves us with Drs that do not treat this condition as well as they should.

If you learn, listen and become your own thyroid health manager, you will eventually manage this huge "bump" in your life.

As far as going to work while feeling thyroid symptoms, just know that others have done this, some even changed jobs that were more thyroid friendly. Of course, with Diabetes also, you are getting the double whammy so to speak.

Light exercise (stretching), a whole foods diet of some degree, naps, and vitamin B6,12(alertness) and magnesium glycinate (for muscle pain) are your best friends right now.

Lastly, as others mentioned, try to post all your thyroid and any vitamin / mineral labs for experienced opinions to help you make sense of all this.

LM
Working is important.  When our thyroids aren't balanced we just don't feel ourselves and don't want to do anything --we might even feel like we can't do anything.  If you need to take a short time off from work for debilitating symptoms then you need to.  For example, last year I was having a rapid heart rate doing minimal activity-- since my job is a lot of walking , I could not work till that was controlled.  I was out of work for 5 weeks--I had no choice--I was fortunate to have disability insurance at my work and also took an intermittent FEMLA (which turned into continuous for 5 weeks).  Once I was feeling better I was able to work and I looked forward to returning to work--it wasn't easy and I had to start back at half days (since I generally work 12+ hour days).  Believe me I had to have major documentation from my MD to even be on the FEMLA on a weekly basis--it was like pulling teeth--I was the sickest I had been in my life--I had made multiple trips to the ER for rapid heart rate which caused chest pressure  and also because I was very hyperthyroid I had uncontrollable shakes--thye hyperthyroid also caused me to have muscle weakness from muscle wasting--you would have never know I had been doing 1.5 hours of the elliptical on a high level at the gym a month prior--all this turned my world upside down.  However , there is hope...so ..don't throw in the towel--you will get better.  Better days are coming.  I came to this site and have found hope in the many stories I have read--people who have walked in my shoes--people here know what it is all about--like they say in the above comments--learn all you can because many mds dont know enough about  the thyroid--I will admit that even though I am a nurse I did not know as much as I do now.  I guess that is why they have  specialists like endocrinologists.  The thyroid causes more havoc than your average person or average md know.  We with the thyroid problem know because we live it every day.  As far are for you with the diabetes--learn about that too---try to implement the changes --you don't have to be perfect all the time just most of the time--you can do it.  Best wishes for better days and a happy and healthy new year:)
As already pointed out by the above posters, we really to see your lab results, with reference ranges, in order to be able to help you.

I'm curious about your other conditions, as well as the hypothyroidism, though.  What type of anemia do you have?  Has your iron been tested to show that's what you actually need?  Have you had vitamin B12 levels tested?  B12 deficiency can be caused by Pernicious Anemia, as well as other things.  B12 deficiency also causes the most debilitating fatigue imaginable, as well as brain fog, inability to concentrate, numbing/tingling in the hands/feet, etc.

Did you have a total hysterectomy?  If so, are you replacing reproductive hormones, such as estrogen/progesterone?  Have you had those levels tested to make sure they are adequate?

What type of diabetes do you have and is it under control?  

Your thyroid, reproductive system and pancreas are all part of the endocrine system and hormones must all be balanced in order for you to feel best.

While your symptoms may be caused by hypothyroidism, all the other things mentioned, could also contribute to your feeling of unwellness/depression.
There is a company called ALSUP that will do all this for you.  You just call them.  I got 1/2 way through the procedure and realized there was no way i was going to pass so i just stopped the process.
i did the alsup process took 2 years i could have won but its not worth it in the long run . you can get short term disability for anything as long as your doctor supports you not being able to work which can be tricky ,, document everything!!
It's all based on individual issues and even more individual with the doctors treating you and what they document. The common disability claims associated with thyroid are fibromylasia and depression that get approved but it takes alot of time.

I'm 22 with hypothyroid and I was not diagnosed with it till I was in 8th grade but I was born with it. The doctor I had back then misdiagnosed me and told my mom other reasons why I had problems as I got older I developed a learning disability that made it hard for me in school mind you still I was on no meds dealing with this then the depression came into play but no one knew. Once I hit middle school since that's when you become a women I gained weight so much I use to weigh 55 and then all of a sudden I weighed 95 big jump my mom almost lost me in 8th grade because of not being treated plus it stunt my growth big time I am 4'5 when trying to get a job for benefits to get my medicine doesn't happen for I get looked at differently. Once I had help in middle school my new doctor I had gave me medicine ann told my mom to put me on disability to help me once I got older she never did but I'm old enough now where I am taking matters into my own hands