Can I stop taking Levothyroxine?
I have been taking  Levothyroxine 25mg for almost 2 years.  When I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism I didn't have any symptoms, and I have not noticed any change since I am taking Levothyroxine.  I did a blood test and my THS, 3rd generation w/reflex to FT4 was 2.46.  I am 35 years old.  Do you think I could stop taking Levothyroxine and check the levels again in 3 months? or  should I reduce the dosage little by little?  It is any risk in stop this medication suddenly?
Thank you!!!
Magda
That is too hard of a call to make. You are on a low dose of Levo so you must have the ability to have your thyroid function. Will it produce enough hormone to keep you well?

That is the question.

If you have been medicating now for 2 yrs and feel fine at 2.46 - (which is a bit high for most thyroid patients)  to not be having symptoms - I would speak to your doctor about this.

Some patients have to stop meds for one reason or another within their treatment but again that is up to the physician treating you to make that decision.

Why do you want to stop?

Thank you very much for answering my question.  The only reason I would like to stop Levothyroxine is that this is the only medication I take, and I read that usually it has to be taker for lifetime...so it scarries me being depending of this medication.
Also...Can you please tell me what symptoms are indicators for me if the thyroid is working properly or not? I mean..if I stop the medication what possibles symptoms may I notice?
Thank you again for answering...
The only thing i can think of if you stop taking it is that you may start to get symtoms of hypo. The dosage you are on may be keeping your TSH level at bay.

What was your level (TSH) when you were first put on it?

Stella is right. You need to talk to your doctor about it.
i have a question please my doctor has me on levothyroxin 88mcg and Liothyronine.  my blood work is as TSH 1.19  THYROXINE(T4) 6.2
T3 UPTAKE 30.4 THYROXINE, FREE(FT4) 0.99 FREE T4 INDEX 1.9
THYRONINE TOTAL 92, do i need to be on thyroid meds, Please let me know, because i want to get off.  and also the doctor has me on Phentermine 37.5mg please help me thank you donna please get back to me on ***@****  als i have been feeling like crap since i have been on these meds, if i don't need them can something happen to me.
My girlfriend is taking 75 mg a day of levothyroxine.  She says her doctor prescribed the drug because some of her liver test results were abnormal.  Does this make any sense ?

Mike
We aren't doctors, but no, it doesn't make sense for your girlfriend to be put on levo, because of abnormal liver tests.  Levothyroxine is a thyroid replacement medication and has nothing to do with the liver, except that the liver converts T4 (thyroid storage hormone) to T3 (usable thyroid hormone).

Maybe she misunderstood what the doctor said.
My doctor has taken me off of levothryoxine 0.025 for bloodwork,what kind of symptoms can I be expecting in the next month