Thyroid Disorders Community
Can Medrol Dosepak affect thyroid blood work?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I am 44 yrs old.  A year ago I gained 12 lbs within 2 weeks for a total of 20 lbs (all around belly, hips and thighs).  Blood work was all "normal".  I also had an IUD that was causing severe cystic acne, and I wondered if that could have been part of the problem.  I had the IUD removed, cystic acne (which I had for years) was gone within 10 days, blood work was drawn soon after that. I wondered if my hormones were in flux because I had just had the IUD removed.  About 3 months ago I saw another doctor for asthma and bronchitis I developed due to allergies, he put me on a Medrol dosepak which helped, but once it was done the wheezing came back and he put me on another pack.  While I was on the second pack I told him about my weight gain, lack of libido, cold extremeties and many other issues I had developed in the past year.  He decided to test my levels again and they all came back "normal".  My question is, could those results have been tainted because I was on my second Medrol Dosepak at the time the blood was drawn?  I'm now dealing with headaches, lack of energy, lack of muscle tone (despite having trained for and running a marathon 2 months ago...the whole time my legs never developed the muscles they usually do when I run, this was my 4th marathon. I could barely train for it, I had no energy, I forced myself to run when I did, brutal).  In the past 3 months my period has also decreased to the point where I bleed heavily for one day, maybe 2 and then it's totally gone.  I feel like an alien in my own body and just want to know what is going on!  Thanks!
I should add I have been under incredible stress this past year...my dad passed away from leukemia, my husband lost his job, I have a special needs child with autism and pediatric bipolar, and now we are getting ready to move due to job situation and yet have no money to do it, but we have not choice..we just need to figure it out.  I've been very anxious and depressed and my doctor put me on a medication for it which is definitely helping, but the stressors are all still there, so I'm sure it's affecting my cortisone levels.
Just because your blood test results were in the so-called "normal" range does not mean that is adequate for you.  The ranges are far too broad.  If you will please post your various test results and their reference ranges shown on the lab report, members can assess the adequacy of your testing and your status.