Thyroid Disorders Community
Can Thyroid Nodules cause Ear Pressure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can Thyroid Nodules cause Ear Pressure?

I've had pressure on my ears and neck under the jaw coming from  my throat for about 3 weeks by now. A year ago a "not cold" nodule was found in my thyroid. Recently, I have had ultrasound done again. It shows that I have already 2 nodules (6mm and 7mm) now. The physician says that I should do nothing about those nodules, just observe. But that pressure on my ears really interferes with my every-day life. Is it possible to reduce it somehow? Do I still have to go to endocrinologist despite of what my physician says? I also have GERD caused by esophagal hernia, and my ENT doctor says that this ear pressure comes from down below, i.e. my inflamed esophagus. She prescribed me Nexium, Claritin-d, Mucinex-D, Nasonex and antibiotic Levaquin which I am taking now, but annoying ear pressure (and also a lump in the throat) are still there. Can you help me?  

I just posted the SAME issues, jaw discomfort, throat lump, ear pressure...I feel like I need to pop my ears constantly.  My jaw tingles a little....like when you smell pickles or other food that makes you glick!  :-)  I also have a strange dull pain that radiates in my neck, up my jaw line and up to the ear canal along with a lump in my throat.  Like a lingering bruise rather than sharp pain.  

I somewhat expect these symptoms as I have a several large nodules (2 and 3cm+) in both lobes and significant growth of my isthmus (now 6mm in AP thickness).  My labs are normal so, I am thinking this is just growth of my multi nodular goiter pressing on other systems in the area such as nerves and blood supply.

I have an Endo and would recommend having one as they know much more about the thyroid system and the chemicals we produce and need to keep the body humming.  Did you have blood work done?  Any hyper or hypo symptoms along with the ear and throat issues?

Hang in there....I am hoping someone can provide some ideas for relief too!
Kate
Thank you Kate. I'll hang in here. Meanwhile if you're interested, I read yesterday about goiters (which I don't have). They say you can get rid of goiter without running to a doctor. Go to http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-goiters.
Thanks for your advice, I am going to see gastroentherologist, and I did not have my blood test, but I'll do this. Your nodules seem to be rather big, what's the prognosis of your doctor?
Total Thyroidectomy schedule 13 days from now.  I am growing too fast and have some symptons of compression so, they are going to yank it.  Had a biopsy of one of the nodules 8 months ago and it came back benign but, FNA targest only a small portion of the nodule so, due to rapid growth and current sizes of multiple nodules we are going to get aggressive.  They will test the entire thyroid for malignancy and we will go from there!  I am ready for the surgery, I have these headaches and discomfort that seems to get worse by the day.  Strangely enough, I don't have symptoms of hypo or hyper and my levels are all within range.  That will surely change when I have the surgery and begin synthyroid.  I will check out the site....I am always interested in alternatives!  Thanks!  Hang in there and let me know if you find some relief!
Kate
Good luck with your surgery, I'll pray for you. Is biopsy painful?
I didn't find it painful at all; just had a small bruise after.  It is performed with a needle and mine was sonogram guided; which I got to watch on a monitor.  It was interesting!  As biopsies go...it was easy!  The wait for the results is about a week so, that was far more uncomfortable.
GERD could easily cause many of the same symptoms so, it is wise to see your gastroenterologist.  
Thank you for your prayers; I appreciate it very much.
Hi there. I too have a strange ear phenom happening. 2 days after my right thyroidectomy (due to a 2cm  nodule that biopsy showed hurthle cells, plus 3 little ones), I lost my hearing (35% of it) in my right ear with a beeping sound at the ends of peoples words as well. Ent put me on prednisone and it came back in a few days. 3 weeks later, lost it again, this time paired with terrible stabbing pain in my left ear. Ent is confused with no answers, except, prednisone taper again, which again is working. Here is the thing: even though my big nodules were benign, there was a tiny one, 2mm, that was papillary carcinoma. Now I have done hours of research and have found that thyroid cancer can spread to the cochlear ear bone and other places in the head, so my oncologist and I opted to have full body scans w/ contrast because she did not like the earache thing and how the ENT had no answers. I had the last one today, I'll get my results next week. Just my take on it, but I definitely think there is a relation since until June of this year, I never had an ear or thyroid problem! Best of luck to you, hugs, Laura
I usually only come here to read all the posts and responses, but i cant believe that everyone on here is having the same symptoms, yet our primary physicians are still saying that one has nothing to do with the other.   Mine started with a full, fat neck feeling ... like someone was holding their hands around my neck.  The the pain along my entire jawline, which my doc said was clogged eustasion tubes.   After 10 days on antibiotics, i went back feeling worse than the first time.  Bad headaches, ear pain, jaw pain, and painful swollen lymph nodes.  I feel like total crap from my neck up ... extreme fatigue, dizzy spells, and constant pain.   I have an Endo appt tomorrow and im damn near having a heart attack as ive been having these symptoms since early December ... its now the middle of January so a month and a half is too long.  My mom was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, so obvious the C word scares the living crap out of me.   This whole thing has affected every single aspect of my daily life.   It *****.   I just hope they dont give me the C word diagnosis.   Then i will have a heart attack.   I just feel like all the symptoms point that way.  very very scarey .... and i have a 9 year old who im raising alone, so the stress of it all is not healthy either.   Guess i'll see what the new Doc says tomorrow.   just keeping my fingers crossed.   Thank you everyone on here for offering your info   :)
I had thyroidectomy 2 yrs Ago bc of large hurts cell nodule and they left one lobe (r side) and I do not have insurance or $ to pay off ent for
Further follow up and have been feeling absolutely miserable with bad headaches ear pain all on right side burning pain in neck joints
Fatigue depression bone pain muscle aches. Last weekend ankle gave out on me I fell to ground smashing knee. My tsh say they are normal but I'm not feeling well I have had chronic pain forever it seems primary Dr treats me w Norco that is ineffective and I just take so I don't get withdrawals I Don't know where to turn for help everyday I struggle just to get through do not have ins. And a that feel tests I should have to diagnose what's wrong aren't being ordered.'sometimes I feel so miserable from unmanaged pain that I don't want to live like this anymore. It's just very difficult to be sick and poor in the united states wo ins. Any suggestions besides the obvious....
I have seriously considered moving to Canada, most everyone .. other  countries have better health care coverage, here they just worry about protecting the AMA and big pharma  who get richer.