Thyroid Disorders Community
Can a thyroid biopsy results be wrong?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can a thyroid biopsy results be wrong?

I am a 43 yrs old female with no cancer history in both side of my parents. I've had a 0.8cm nodule in my thyroid for about a year without growing. I had a scan done and it came out as cold nodule so I had a biopsy done and it came back suspecious so they called it thyroid papillary carcinoma. Now I am having a total thyroidectomy. The nurse told me the results did not say 100%.  I am very scared. My life and the life of my family have changed so much. No one is saying anything or smilling anymore, everyone is so so scared.

I need to know if the results can be wrong and if anyone has survived papillary cancer for many years? Please I need hope.

I had the surgery a couple weeks following diagnosis. My nodule was about 2 or 2 1/5 cm. Honestly I think I had the cancer for quite a while before being diagnosed. It was not until about 6 months before the surgery I started feeling something was wrong. I had a positive FNA  and I was having problems with swallowing and breathing at the time.

If it were me I would go on the vacation. I could understand if the vacation were after the surgery needing time to heal but then again, I am not a health professional in anyway. I planned my I-131 when I had it around going to Honduras and Belize.
Hello friend, if you feel uncomfortable concerning your biopsy results, seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion.  Try to relax, stress on the body is not healthy.  

You may also want to post your question in the thyroid cancer section.  Also you can discuss results with pathologist, that performed the test.  Wishing you well on your journey.    

I do not think because a FNA is suspicious it is necessarily cancer. A lot of people receive FNA results of suspicious and do not know for certain if it is cancer or not until surgery. I had papillary cancer 18 years ago, had thyroidectomy and I-131 and, for the most part, am doing fine. Papillary cancer is easily treatable most of the time and grows slowly. I know hearing the word cancer is scary, however, with the proper treatment you should be fine.
Thank u so much for your words. U have no idea how they make me feel. The dr is not scaring me at all but he says we wont know anything until after surgery and it is just the waiting part that is killing me. I am afraid that he says it spread or what if it comes back and when. I know that my life is not going to be the same cause i will always be wondering and worrying.
Your going to be fine :)  We all naturally wonder and worry, prior to any procedure or experience in life, then after it's all over, we think that wasn't bad at all.  I've learned not to worry about things, that has not happened yet, till cancer is confirmed, enjoy life.    

Abby51 is right on !
I know it is easier said than done, but you should not worry about the what if it has spread or comes back unless that happens. Even if it has spread it is still usually easily treatable. If it comes back it is still oftentimes the same case, easily treated. Papillary cancer is, for the most part, more of a scare than anything else. When I was being treated I was very young and I do not think my life has change all that much because of it. I take the medication everyday and go to the doctor for checkups and blood tests. I have had some problems since first being diagnosed but nothing that stopped me from going to work or anything else I wanted to do. Do not let it get you too upset...when I had my surgery and I-131 my doctor told me that for the most part papillary cancer was going to be more of a nuicance to me than anything else. And he was right about that for me anyways.
The secretary scheduled me for August 20 but I think it should be sooner cause I am afraid it could spread out. They said they dont have enough staf in the summer. Didnt like the secretary too much she was rude. She heard me telling my friend that I can stil take the kids for vacation and come back for the surgery but she said I cant go on vacation because then you need another month for my boddy to go back to normal so we need to schedule for november so I said I will cancel my vacation just to have the surgery soon.

How soon did you have the surgery after diagnosed? How big was the nodule and how long do you think you had it for before you found out? Do you think it is ok to wait until August 20 or should I find another surgeon? Do you think it is ok if I go on vacation to venezuela with my family and be back 1st of August? My kids are so sad with what is happening and now that they are no going back this summer to see their friends is not making it easier either. It is killing me to see them so sad although they keep saying that the most important thing is for me to get better. I hope and pray to God that my life and my family go back to normal.

A thyroid FNA biopsy is a false positive in 2 - 3% of thyroid cancer diagnoses.  A high profile case was Argentina's president Cristina Kirchner. The president was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma on 22 December 2011 during a routine examination and on 4 January 2012 underwent a 3.5 hour surgery for a total thyroidectomy.  "Tissue studies ruled out the presence of cancerous cells in the thyroid, thus modifying the initial diagnosis," - presidential spokesman Alfredo Scoccimarro.