Can benign nodules be vascular and solid?
The results of my ultrasound came back.  It shows that I have two nodules, one on each lobe.  The biggest is 1.2 x 0.9 x 1.2 cm.  It is a solid nodule with vascularity. The second is 0.9 x 0.6 x 0.7 cm, and is nonvasular.  The thyroid gland is of normal size, but my right side does show to be bigger than my left.  I will be sheduling an FNA as soon as the pre-auth comes back.  I wasn't worried before, but now am.  Aren't malignant nodules solid and vascular.  Can benign nodules appear to be solid and vascular.  Nothing was said about the borders or if calcifications were present.  My endocrinologist decided to examine the nodule by palpatation.  The nodule moves when swallowing, and he felt it to be on the soft side and not solid as stated in the US.  He seemed just a bit baffled, but told me not to worry, most are benign.  Thyroid hormone levels are normal.  Any thoughts?
Well, I am at the post FNAB end of a similar journey.  My biggest nodule is 3x3x2.2cm, it too is solid and vascular.  Scary stuff.  What I hadn't realised fully before the FNAB is that the results can be basically four things- benign, malignant, inadequate (they didn't get enough for a result) or what I have: follicular.  Now follicular is odd- the FNAB can't tell if it is benign or malignant- the only way they can be sure is a frozen section taken when removing it surgically.  Perhaps yours will find a follicular result on FNAB?  So it may not be all bad- most follicular are still benign.
Em
Em
Even if they are solid there is a strong possibility that they are benign....the nice thing about is they are cystic you know for sure that they aren't cancer but just because it's not doesn't mean it is cancer...if that makes any sense.
My US shows "questionable hypoechoic nodule with vascularity" AND "A heterogenous nodule in the left side the isthmus measuring up to 1x2 cm. this is a vascular nodule."
What does this mean?