Can hypothyroid make a person pass out ??
I just returned from the ER, my blood test returned normal, my thyroid blood work will not return for 24 hours.  I've had an enlarged thyroid for 2 years and no answers.  I have a thyroid uptake scan the 13th of Jan.  

Anyway's, I was wondering if a person can pass out, or feel so weak they have to lay down from thyroid condition ??

I was feeling fine today, then all of the sudden I just felt incredibly tired, exhausted, my legs started shaking, bad head pressure, tinnitus, dizzy, had no control over eye movements, and felt extremely weak, I was about to pass out, but I kept pushing myself & finally called my mom to take me to the ER.  

After talking to the doc at the ER, I passed out.  After sleeping for an hour, I woke up and feeling fine again.  The Doc said thyroid conditions can cause a person to feel that exhausted, but I was also wondering if anyone else experience this type of weakness, exhaustion, etc.....  

Thanks for any feedback    
Oooooh yes! I have been like that for over 15 years! Just yesterday I was fine doing some ebay selling then suddenly WHAM! Had to go lie down and glad I did, only just made it to the bed when I fell into it and woke an hour later.
   Your blood pressure probably dropped alot. I got told to up the water intake during the day as hypos tend to have a very slow metabolism and need hydrating often. The way the body slows all the functions down too is a mechanism for coping with the extra demand on it. So by sleeping your heart rate slows down, etc...bit like a bear going into hibernation, which is how the body wants to be...all slowed down.
  The other thing it could have been is a sugar low too. I get them every now and then and have to remember to eat something like a hard boiled lolly.
  Hope you get better soon!
I agree with Red - that can happen in thyroid disease - but other things could be causing that too.

I right away thought of low blood sugar too.

What blood work did you have done?
That's exactly how I felt last night.  I was over exhausted.  Even after sleeping 12 hours.  

Usually when I feel tired, I just lay down for a bit and get back up, but yesturday, I felt worse when I stood back up, I felt like passing out.  

The nurse taking my blood tonight, said I was dehyrdrated, my veins were thin.  

Sometimes after feeling super tired, I'll eat or drink soda and get a burst of energy.  

I hope my thyroid uptake has an answer on Tuesday.  Thanks for all your help and info.        
Hi Stella,
The hospital does a complete blood work up & thyroid panel, but the results of the thyroid blood work takes 24 hours.  

I don't have low blood sugar, but do have symptoms occassionally.  I am pre-diabetic, type II, but not on any medication.  My blood sugars are more elevated then low.
I had a very weird experience while walking to work from my car.  As I stepped off the curb to cross a major road, all I remember is getting up and wiping the dirt off my knee.  I seriously thought I passed out because there wasn't any to trip on or stumble over.  So I understand your concern.
Sorry to hear of your accident, good to know that your okay.  I get the pass out feeling a few times a week, rest usually helps my energy levels.  

But sometimes, I'll be doing something, like typing on the computer, I'll be so tired, I'll wake up and won't remember what I was doing.  But the ER doc, said that thyroid condition can make a person feel that exhausted.  

Well I was hoping for more experiences from members, but at the same time, happy that passing out is not shared by many.  

Thanks for replying.  
i get so weak that like all of a sudden i lose almost complete control over my leg s or arm it feels like a falling type of feeling or how you feel when someone startals you, and then im like jello it is all i can do to make it somewhere to sit down sometimes i get it when i lay down to, feels like im gonna pass  out to sometimes, and also i get numb in the face eyebrow legs or wherever -
Hope you feel better soon.  I can relate to what your sharing.  The other night, I lost all contol over my legs, just felt super weak and about to pass out.  

I get the falling feeling alot, it's anxiety in my case, I was told today, I was extremely hyperthyroid.  But I alway's feel as if I am falling out of an airplane, or riding on a roller coaster I don't want to be on, all I can do is lay in bed, clinch my teeth and squeeze a pillow, Lord I hate that feeling, it usually last for about an hour, then slowly subsides.  

I have read alot of people, have these types of feelings, from anxiety attacks.  But as soon as I start treatment for hyper, hopefully those feelings subside.  

Thanks for sharing your experience, and good luck to you !
hello people i know exactly what you are all talking about i have been passing out for about 30 years and been through dozens of tests for every thing under the sun but to no avail.  when i pass out i feel like a cramping in my stomach and my arms and legs go all jellied then a buzzy sound rings in my ears and my vision tunnels out and down i go.  mostly i feel it coming on and have a feeling like i should be laying down ( as close to the floor as possible)  but recently some episodes happen so quickly i just fall down.  theyve done every test under the sun for seizures but the only thing they can find is very low thyriod levels but my doctor still wont even give my hypothyriodism a second thought because they said my levels are now in the "normal range" with the help of mega doses of levothyroxine.  is there any one out there that knows of a GOOD endochronologist that may be able to help.  ive had 2 seperate episodes now where theyve had to give me CPR to revive me and im getting scared please help!!!!
Oh my gosh!! I hope you set up an appointment soon! You really need to see an endocrinologist. Your condition sounds scary. I have the passing out feelings but I never really pass out. I have hypothyroidism too. I wouldn't be too picky about which endocrinologist, I'd just get to the one who can get you in the quickest. I'm sure you'll probably have to call your primary care physician to get a referral. Let me know how you are doing.
I am 19 and when i passed out the first time I was brushed off and told I was yound and just dehydrated. And when I went to the doctor he told me there was nothing he could do about it that he didn't know what test to run to narrow down what was wrong with me. I mad it 3 months before I had another episode. This time was like the first. I felt fine and the next thing I knew I was in the bathroom extremely nauseated and really dizzy. Before I knew it I was in an ambulance. When I got to the hospital the doctor told me that my blood pressure had been up for a while and that it had done mild damage to my heart. And also my thyroid was out of order. I have hypothyroidism. Not sure if that's exactly what made me pass out. But it would help if the doctors didn't brush it off either.
I know the feeling you are all going through. About a year ago I started having episode with the loud ringing in the ears, loss of hearing and vision, dizzy nauseated, but I always feel like my body is trying to short circuit it's weird and if I don't lay down like I am going to pass out. Then low and behold the other day I stood up and woke back up on the couch. It would be nice to know what is going on. They did up a bunch of labs, if no answer there then it's off for scan. I wish you all luck in finding out your answers.