Thyroid Disorders Community
Can nodules affect your voice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can nodules affect your voice?

I have a general question for people who've had surgery on their thyroid and people who have or had nodules.  I've was recently told by a second endocrinologist that I should get my thyroid removed and the three noncancerous nodules (affectionately named Tom, ****, and Harry) that sit on both sides and the top.  First, I told them they'd have to chase me with the knife.  But they I thought about what they said, "If the nodules bother you, then they should be removed."  Now I've had hypothyroidism since I was 8, I'm now 22, and my thyroid is almost useless.  The nodules began growing when I was in high school (2002 maybe) and they've slowed their growth.  One might be growing into another (the perfect nodule!).  Now I've noticed that I must eat food with pills because they get stuck and I'll cough them up painfully.  Air gets stuck down there when I swallow and sometimes I move my thyroid with my hand to burp it up.  If I swallow and turn my neck, there's a popping and or grinding sound sometimes.  If I lay on mhy stomach to study, I oftentimes feel an intense pressure in my neck into my head, as if a nerve or bloodway is being pinched.  

But most of all, I really think my nodules are cutting off my voice.  More precisely my singing voice.  I took plenty of voice lessons and I used to sing in church, chorus, opera, and musicals, and in the shower.  But ever since my nodules blossomed, I've had to sing at lower octaves (when I could really get up there with the Phantom).  And when I go to scream...it comes out a crackly squeak, like velociraptor with laryngitis.  I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this, or have heard of this.  I would get my thyroid removed so I can sing with confidence again, but I am worried it will change my voice, whether speaking or singing.
I too had the problem of not being able to swallow etc. Sleep was a night mare. Having the thyroid removed will make you feel much better in these issues. It really is an individual thing regarding the voice change. I still can't hit the high notes in Billy Joel's Innocent Man after nearly 11 months! But at least I can breathe without taking huge gulps of air and sounding like an emphysema patient!
Personally I'd rather be without all the horrendous symptoms than have a perfect singing voice. Guess that's the devils deal when it comes to having a thyroid disorder!
Cheers
The answer is a definite yes.  I have a 2.6 cm nodule.  One of my first symptoms before even knowing I had a nodule was why was my voice sounding hoarse or really more grovelly (no such word but I created it).  I sound like I have smoked 20 packs of cigs in one day.  Actually, it isn't really that bad but I do experience this most days and some days not.  But after researching this, I realized that nodules press on your laryngeal nerve and this causes the voice to go hoarse.  My endo said "yes" when I asked her and she said she could even hear it in my voice when I speak.  I too am a singer.  I just lost my mood for it lately since I have a neck that looks a bit like a golf ball and I am ever aware that it is there.   I am going to have it removed whether the FNA comes back cancerous or not.  Removal of a thyroid can cause permanent hoarseness if the laryngeal nerve gets affected by the surgery.  Time to start thinking about bringing out the Janice Joplin records - cause that is what we will end up sounding like!  YIKES...   but then again, she made money!