Thyroid Disorders Community
Can severe allergies cause thyroid problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

My thyroid condition is relatively new, so forgive me if I ask some not-so-informed questions. I'm trying to find the causes of my hypo thyroid. I am only slight hypo (4.97, and my T3 and T4 are normal). However, my recent tests have shown that antibodies are present and that I have a nodule on my thyroid.

For years, I've had moderately bad allergies, particularly to dust and molds. My allergies have worsened over the last three years, and I believe it is a result of molds in my apartment. Until I had it repaired recently, my air conditioner had been leaking water for years, and the unit is in a dark closet, which is ideal for mold growth. My bouts of sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, and irritated throat have increased during this time (for the last few months there has been a slight mucus irritation in my throat). Allergies effect the immune system and can lead to inflammation problems, such as sinus and throat infections. My question: Is it possible that my allergies have impaired my immune system or have caused a thyroid infection or inflammation, hence causing my hypo thyroid?

Today is my second day taking synthroid. My doctor has me on a trial dose (50 mg) for eight weeks to see how my body responds to the medication. I'm wondering if I should really focus on ruling out allergies as a cause or treating my allergy issues first, before going too far with the thyroid medication.

I have a related question, but I will ask it after I get some feedback for the question.

Any advice or opinion is very much appreciated. Thank you.

I think it could be just the opposite.  An undiagnosed thyroid problem can cause lots of sinus problems.  My allergies have been year round, non-stop for about 2 years.  I recently found out that I have a huge hot nodule.
I don't think that one condition caused the other.  It seems that thyroid problems and allergies seem to go hand in hand.
My RAI is in 3 weeks.  I'll be sure to post is my allergies improve.