Thyroid Disorders Community
Can someone please describe an endocrinology appointment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm going to see the endocrinologist soon, and I was wondering if someone could describe a normal appointment. The thing I'm most worried about is if I'm going to need to change into a dressing a gown. Thanks :)
I guess all doctors are different, but my endo does not require changing to a gown.  My appointments are pretty cut and dried; I get weighed, blood pressure checked, the doctor palpates my thyroid, listens to my heart, usually checks reflexes at the elbow, we discuss my labs, meds/dosages, symptoms, and how I feel.  The whole appointment usually takes slightly over an hour, but I'm rarely with the doctor for more than 10 minutes.......the rest of the time is spent waiting, either in the waiting room or the exam room.

Again, all doctors are different.  
Many Endos only test for TSH, which is inadequate.  TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), is a pituitary hormone that is supposed to accurately reflect the levels of the actual thyroid hormones, but it doesn't.  So you should go farther and request to be tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  If the doctor resists, just insist that you want to know those levels, since they are so important, and don't take no for an answer.

When results are available, please get a copy of the lab report.  they are required by law to give you a copy upon your request.  then post test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.

What symptoms are you having that caused you to schedule an Endo appointment?
You will not have to wear a gown for an endo appt. Just like any doc appt, you will be asked questions pertaining to your symptoms and conditions and will check your vital signs and weight. The doc will examine your thyroid and request labs in most cases. Also, if you have any recent blood work done by your gp, you shall bring them to your endo appt.  
Pretty much what blsdnsvd said.....except mine was pretty glued to the computer they now type into to fill in the blanks and could not even make eye contact. Dismissed any info I brought in and each appointment (which was only 4) he repeated (like a robot) all about some studies does years ago that proved T4 only was what worked.

He put me on a very low dose of T4 only to see what my lab TSH would show . I almost went into a semi-coma, or felt like it. I never made the full 8 weeks he wanted me to wait.  He thought I was very impatient and when I  tried to tell him I needed more and some T3 medication. He had a chart with smiley faces that he typed into the screen to see which dose   (sorry only T4 works)  I should take!  

Needless to say, I felt he was a good example of upper educational waste and  ...I fried him and went back to a General Doctor who was more willing to help me, and listen to me...

Hope you have a better experience!!
Mia
Thanks so much everyone. :) The doctor was a very nice and gave me a lot more information than any of my other doctors have.
Did your doctor request lab work to be done?  What tests did he run and do have results that you could post here, with reference ranges?
Hi Barb, I actually just got the blood work done today and was not prepared for the 12 tubes that they took. Not fun.
The doctor order a T3 total and T3 free, T4 total and T4 free, TSH, TSI, celiac disease work up, ANA, TIBC, ferratin, transferrin, thyroglobulin antibodies, and thyroglobulin. There were one or two more tests and I can't remember what they were.
By reference ranges do you mean my previous results?
These are some of my previous test results.

September 2011-
TSH: 0.39 (0.46-4.98)
T4 Free: 0.62 (0.60-1.70)

Novemebr 2011-
TSH: 0.37 (0.46-4.98)
T4 Total: 5.79 (4.5-12.0)

Feburary 2012-
TSH: 0.623 (0.450-4.500)
T4 Total: 2.2 (4.5-12.0) *The endcrinologist was going to call the lab about this result to make sure it was right*
This is becoming typical for me. I am so fed up with doctors glued to the computer and no longer working with me in the room as if I am not even human. It feels so degrading. I leave feeling terrible. It literally ruins the rest of my day and I no longer want to see any physician for anything as I just don't want to experience the awful alienating sensation they leave me with. I'm so sorry to read of your experience and appreciate you posting it at the same time. More of us must speak out about this awful treatment that we then pay for! And we must also celebrate all the physicians that actually do care, listen and treat.
Hi need help
Last September my TSH was .27 and this year it was <.01 my t3 and t4 were normal. T3 was 189 last
Yr and 169 this. Now I had my son 6 months ago via
Emergency c section. I don't know what's going on I have an appt with an endocilgist tomorrow.
Why do I feel lethargic
Do you have a thyroid issue?
is this thread still working?
Where can I send you my tests? I have Hashimotos and feel like crap a LOT.  I was good for a few years, then a month ago I went through some heavy stressful situations and think my adrenals went wacko---still not feeling great. Brain fog, lack of concentration and sleeping is bad.  The morning light slips into my bedroom and BANG I am awake... but feel like crap. let meknow where I can send you info Barb. Thanks.
This thread still works, but it's very old.  

You can send me your tests 2 ways... you can either post a new thread to the forum, listing all your information.  This would be open to everyone to see.  You can list all your symptoms, lab results (be sure to include reference ranges, which vary from lab to lab and have to come from your own report), along with the medication you're on, dosage and how long you've been on it.  You can do this by clicking on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of this page, type your comments, then click the green "Post a Comment" button.  

The other thing you can do is send me a Private message by hovering your cursor over my name and you'll get a drop down box.  Click on Send a Message and you'll get a page on which you can type a message that you can send me with the information listed above.
i have been to doctor with a sexual problem i cannot fully raise an erection or maintain the bit i get
Is it normal for the endocrinologist to do a breast exam? Mine wanted to do one but I refused because I didn't see how it was related to my thyroid.
My endo has never done or asked to do a breast exam.  Did your endo explain why he wanted to do that?  I agree with you; I'm sure I'd have refused, too, because I don't see any way a breast exam could be useful for thyroid treatment.
He said that an overactive thyroid could cause the breast to discharge. I was not at all comfortable with that and I dont think I will be seeing him again.
In that case, I would simply have assured him that I had no breast discharge and let it go at that.  I don't blame you; I wouldn't be comfortable with it either, nor would I go back.

Do you have hyperthyroidism?
I was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism by my general doctor.  She did a blood test.  Now I have to wait 7 weeks to see an endocrinologist.  Should I be concerned about that amount of time.  I am having eye pain and a rash that is extremely itchy.  
Did your doctor not give you anything to help ease the itch or control your thyroid levels?  

Do you  have current labs you can post, including reference ranges, so we can see your status?  Have you been referred to an opthamologist for the eye pain?  If not, you should be...
She did not give me anything.  I think I'm going to go out of network and get into an endocrinologist at UCLA tomorrow.  I'm waiting on my labs but I'll post as soon as I get them.  Thank you so much!
If you are in a lot of discomfort, you should call your doctor and tell her you need something to help you get by for the 7 weeks until your endo appointment.  If you feel bad enough and can see someone sooner, by all means, try UCLA, though they may not be any better doctors just because they're at UCLA... It all depends on how you feel.

Will look forward to seeing your labs.
Just got the labs it looks like my Alkaline Phosphate is 127 H, ALT is 40 H, T4 Free is 4.8 H, and T3 Total is 476 H.  I have no idea what any of that means but that's what was circled and out of range.
Here are my results and ranges (I forgot those in the earlier post)

Alkaline Phosphate 127  Range 33 -115
ALT 40  Range 6-29
T4 Free 4.8   Range 0.8 - 1.8
T3 Total 476  Range 76 - 181
Is that alkaline phosphate or phosphatase?   High alkaline phosphatase is usually caused by a liver issue or from cell activity in the bones... hyperthyroidism increases metabolism and can cause bones to metabolize faster.  High ALT can also indicate hepatitis or a viral infection, but, typically, levels would be more than 10 times the upper limit.  Since both tests are used to check liver function, and the liver does a lot of the conversion of thyroid hormones, it bears looking into.

Your Free T4 and Total T3 are very high and I find it hard to believe your doctor didn't start you on anti-thyroid medication right away.  Does she know it's going to be 7 weeks before you can get in to see the endo?  You really need to call her back and tell her, if she doesn't know.  7 weeks is too long to maintain that high levels... you could end up with thyroid storm, which is a life threatening condition and requires emergency care.
I did tell the doctor it would be 7 weeks and nothing.  The good news is I found an endocrinologist in my network that will see me tomorrow morning.  It's such a relief.  Thank you so much for this information.  I really appreciate your help.

I have one more question, can you reverse eye enlargement?  Mine aren't that severe but looking at pictures I've noticed my eyes are slightly bigger now.  I'm hoping they will go back down once I get treated.
Well, I'm hoping you're planning to find a different primary doctor after this... I can't imagine leaving someone who is hyper without anti-thyroid med for 7 weeks.

I'm glad you found an endo who can see you that quickly; that's very rare and I hope s/he's good.

I'm not really sure about the eye enlargement... I've read about procedures that can be done to have them returned to normal... that would be something to discuss with the endo.  Also discuss with him about seeing an opthamologist, which is an eye specialist. Now is the time do that, before permanent damage is done to your eyes.

If the endo does more testing, which they probably will, be sure they test thyroid antibodies to determine if you have Graves Disease.  Thyroid Stimulating Immunoglobulin (TSI) is the determining test for that.  You might also want to get tested for Hashimoto's, since some people with Hashimoto's start out hyper and switch over to hypo, later.  You need Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies (TPOab) and Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb) for that.  And don't forget to ask about those liver tests.  

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow and be sure to come back and let me know how it goes.  
Hi...im 22 yearsold and have been given the run around since I was 18 as to whether or not I have PCOS. I dont have hyperthyroid disorder ( from the tests my general doctor gave me ) and I go in to see the endocrinologist on thursday ( this week ) Im scared and nervous and depressed. I dont know what theyre going to tell me and I dont know what to do.... i want to lose weight but I dont want to take the PCOS medication at the moment if I really do not have PCOS... I stopped taking it in the beginning of the new year. Im waiting to get a confirmation from the endocrinologist as to whether or not I really do have PCOS... since my general doctor thinks I do but is only basing it off symptoms and cant really do much from there since this seems to be a metabolic issue.. any advice?