Thyroid Disorders Community
Can someone please describe an endocrinology appointment?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I'm going to see the endocrinologist soon, and I was wondering if someone could describe a normal appointment. The thing I'm most worried about is if I'm going to need to change into a dressing a gown. Thanks :)
I guess all doctors are different, but my endo does not require changing to a gown.  My appointments are pretty cut and dried; I get weighed, blood pressure checked, the doctor palpates my thyroid, listens to my heart, usually checks reflexes at the elbow, we discuss my labs, meds/dosages, symptoms, and how I feel.  The whole appointment usually takes slightly over an hour, but I'm rarely with the doctor for more than 10 minutes.......the rest of the time is spent waiting, either in the waiting room or the exam room.

Again, all doctors are different.  
Many Endos only test for TSH, which is inadequate.  TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), is a pituitary hormone that is supposed to accurately reflect the levels of the actual thyroid hormones, but it doesn't.  So you should go farther and request to be tested for the biologically active thyroid hormones, Free T3 and Free T4 (not the same as Total T3 and T4).  If the doctor resists, just insist that you want to know those levels, since they are so important, and don't take no for an answer.

When results are available, please get a copy of the lab report.  they are required by law to give you a copy upon your request.  then post test results and reference ranges shown on the lab report and members will be glad to help interpret and advise further.

What symptoms are you having that caused you to schedule an Endo appointment?
You will not have to wear a gown for an endo appt. Just like any doc appt, you will be asked questions pertaining to your symptoms and conditions and will check your vital signs and weight. The doc will examine your thyroid and request labs in most cases. Also, if you have any recent blood work done by your gp, you shall bring them to your endo appt.  
Pretty much what blsdnsvd said.....except mine was pretty glued to the computer they now type into to fill in the blanks and could not even make eye contact. Dismissed any info I brought in and each appointment (which was only 4) he repeated (like a robot) all about some studies does years ago that proved T4 only was what worked.

He put me on a very low dose of T4 only to see what my lab TSH would show . I almost went into a semi-coma, or felt like it. I never made the full 8 weeks he wanted me to wait.  He thought I was very impatient and when I  tried to tell him I needed more and some T3 medication. He had a chart with smiley faces that he typed into the screen to see which dose   (sorry only T4 works)  I should take!  

Needless to say, I felt he was a good example of upper educational waste and  ...I fried him and went back to a General Doctor who was more willing to help me, and listen to me...

Hope you have a better experience!!
Mia
Thanks so much everyone. :) The doctor was a very nice and gave me a lot more information than any of my other doctors have.
Did your doctor request lab work to be done?  What tests did he run and do have results that you could post here, with reference ranges?
Hi Barb, I actually just got the blood work done today and was not prepared for the 12 tubes that they took. Not fun.
The doctor order a T3 total and T3 free, T4 total and T4 free, TSH, TSI, celiac disease work up, ANA, TIBC, ferratin, transferrin, thyroglobulin antibodies, and thyroglobulin. There were one or two more tests and I can't remember what they were.
By reference ranges do you mean my previous results?
These are some of my previous test results.

September 2011-
TSH: 0.39 (0.46-4.98)
T4 Free: 0.62 (0.60-1.70)

Novemebr 2011-
TSH: 0.37 (0.46-4.98)
T4 Total: 5.79 (4.5-12.0)

Feburary 2012-
TSH: 0.623 (0.450-4.500)
T4 Total: 2.2 (4.5-12.0) *The endcrinologist was going to call the lab about this result to make sure it was right*
This is becoming typical for me. I am so fed up with doctors glued to the computer and no longer working with me in the room as if I am not even human. It feels so degrading. I leave feeling terrible. It literally ruins the rest of my day and I no longer want to see any physician for anything as I just don't want to experience the awful alienating sensation they leave me with. I'm so sorry to read of your experience and appreciate you posting it at the same time. More of us must speak out about this awful treatment that we then pay for! And we must also celebrate all the physicians that actually do care, listen and treat.
Hi need help
Last September my TSH was .27 and this year it was <.01 my t3 and t4 were normal. T3 was 189 last
Yr and 169 this. Now I had my son 6 months ago via
Emergency c section. I don't know what's going on I have an appt with an endocilgist tomorrow.